GDT: Buffalo @ Detroit, 7:30 pm est, NBCSN 3-28-2016

Doohickie

My pappy always said, "When ya gotta dog down, step on his head."*  This is what the Sabres need to do to the Red Wings who are coming off a 7-2 drubbing at the hands of the Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday.

The Wings are in freefall.  They are currently on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs go, with their 24-year playoff streak in jeopardy.  They will come in playing desperate hockey, leveraging studs Justin Abdelkader, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, and hoping the infusion of new blood in Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou will be enough to get them into the postseason.  The bad news is that both of their goalies got pasted on Saturday; Mrazek allowed 4 goals on 27 shots (.852) and Howard allowing 3 goals on 14 shots (.786).  The dynasty appears all but dead, and it's up to the Sabres to show them what an up-and-coming dynasty looks like.  The Sabres need to pressure their shaky defense and it will crack.  Although they still have some fast players, by and large the Red Wings' legs are feeling their age and no amount of experience will help them if the Sabres push on them and push hard.

The Wings good luck charm for the game is Gordie Howe himself; it's been reported that despite fragile health, he will be in attendance at the game.

Screenshot%2021.pngScreenshot%2022.png

Look for Chad "The Big" Johnson to start for the Sabres.  I would expect Mrazek in goal for the Wings, but after Satruday's meltdown, who knows?

501349360_slide.jpg

*My pappy never said that, but I wanted to start the thread like that.

Still on the top line, unlike Hudson Fasching. :wallbash:

I know everyone is in love with his power move first goal and all, but there was plenty to the rest of his game that showed he shouldn't sniff the first line for a long while. He can use some AHL seasoning, too.

Still on the top line, unlike Hudson Fasching. :wallbash:

So you're going to give yourself a headache by banging your head on a wall because of what line a newbie rookie is or is not playing on??? What are you going to do when/if he ends up in Rochester next year???

Reality has set in for Larkin, he's pretty much lost whatever Calder momentum he had by racking up (3G, 2A) in his last 21 games.

Thing is most of the rookies of this year, even Mcdavid, have had good offensive support from line mates.    

Mcdavid has 15 goals and 30 assists.      If eichel had a linemate that could score goals all season he would have 20 assists more.

Eichel to me has been doing it on his own untill O'Reilly got injured and he had samson to play with.

So you're going to give yourself a headache by banging your head on a wall because of what line a newbie rookie is or is not playing on??? What are you going to do when/if he ends up in Rochester next year???

My line of thinking is that he was brought in as a scorer so put him with linemates to foster that. These last few games don't mean anything so let's see how he does with some scorers.

I love to play spoiler, but I also think it would be a little sad to see that streak end.

F it, beat em down!!!

They hate us cuz they anu$. Edited by inkman

Can't remember what thread this was in. Since when have the Sabres been on a 90+ point season pace? Christmas? All-Star Break? And I mean this by if they averaged the same amount of points per game before Christmas or All-Star Break. 

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl  27s

27 seconds agoView translation

Sabres' lines: Kane-O'Reilly-Deslauriers, Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart, Foligno-Larsson-Gionta, Moulson-Legwand-Fasching.

Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717  32s

On D 4 55. 29 47. 3 34

Casey Nelson getting practice with second power-play unit. Girgensons-O'Reilly-Reinhart, with Ristolainen-Eichel. 9-26-12, Bogosian-Nelson

Despite the pain people are inflicting on themselves over where Fasching is playing this should be a good game.

Right now Bylsma is just looking for fit and that's part of the reason the kid moved around Saturday.  He'll likely move around again tonight.  Let's see if he can bring it against a different style team.  I'd like to think so.

Go Sabres!

Fasching should play on a top 6 line because we already know he can play on a 4th line. The idea is to maximize his potential and identify what areas he can get an early start on over the offseason. Playing with our best offensive players provides the best opportunity for evaluation over the last seven games. 

GO SABRES!!!

I found it hard to believe that Datsyuk and Zetterberg are tied for the team lead in points with 45!  This is clearly not the Red Wings of years past.  I'd like to see the Sabres bring a physical game where their foot is constantly on the accelerator.  Run em in to da ground.

Go Sabres! :thumbsup:

My predictions:  O'Reilly regains his scoring touch, Sam continues his sorcery, and Gionta pots a goal.

I'd agree with you if the alternative wasn't Deslauriers.

Fasching will develop better by getting 20min/gm on the top line in Roch vs <10 min/gm on the 4th line in BUF.     Seems like we've had this conversation before.

Can't remember what thread this was in. Since when have the Sabres been on a 90+ point season pace? Christmas? All-Star Break? And I mean this by if they averaged the same amount of points per game before Christmas or All-Star Break. 

We were 15-22-4 at the midseason mark. We are now 16-12-6 since then for 38 points. Which pro rates for a full season to 91-92 points. Our next 2 games with Detroit (an absolutely must game for them) because they are currently tied for the last remaining wild card spot but Philly has a game in hand and they are 3 points behind Boston for the 3 spot in the division and Pittsburgh who is arguably the hottest team in the league and 3 points behind a home ice advantage  in the playoffs.

These next 2 days will be a big measuring stick to see how the kids stack up against playoff teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.