GDT: Buffalo @ Detroit, 7:30 pm est, NBCSN 3-28-2016

Doohickie

That is a textbook bs call. If they want them in the playoffs just put them there. This is ridiculous

We played very poorly overall. The reffing was also bad, though. Certainly more than a few head scratchers. Oh well, it probably wasn't the difference in the game.

That was awesome. ###### Detriot! They are done. They are an easy first round out.

I like my team again.

Detroit has been an easy first round out for years, it seems. Most of this decade, I believe. They are a treadmill team right now, have been for a while. Not doing much more currently than spinning the tires. Clinging to this streak, while it is insanely impressive, is currently just a mission statement of mediocrity.

Can't talk too much against it though, they did win a cup several years ago, and I'd trade anything hockey related for just one.

Edited by Thorny

Detroit has been an easy first round out for years, it seems. Most of this decade, I believe. They are a treadmill team right now, have been for a while. Not doing much more currently than spinning the tires. Clinging to this streak, while it is insanely impressive, is currently just a mission statement of mediocrity.

Can't talk too much against it though, they did win a cup several years ago, and I'd trade anything hockey related for just one.

I think Detroit's run is at an end, but it's really no fault of their own. At some point, finding 5th round HOF's has to end. They've done a great job at replacing the aging talent, with Larkin, Nyqvuist, Mrazek, Mantha, etc., but....where are their centers? All of their young talent is on the wings. Plus, they no longer have HOF d-men to lock down the back end and allow for easier transitioning/play for their old, or inexperienced, forwards. 

In other words, they're . Their prospects at center are actually pathetic, and Zetterberg and Datsyuk have 3 more years, tops. And that's not at a high level, even remotely. They're both consistently hurt, and so far Datsyuk is at a 20 pt decline in nearly the same number of games played from last year (63 to 59) and Zetterberg a 21 pt decline with 2 less games played

They've invested heavily on the wings, and have nothing to show for it as Datsyuk and Zetterberg grow old and useless. Come to think on it, they're actually pretty solid candidates for Stamkos, or if not, Tavares

Never mind, they're cap is screwed. If they don't immediately start drafting quality centers, or some miracle happens, they're in really rough shape in about 2-3 years

I think Detroit's run is at an end, but it's really no fault of their own. At some point, finding 5th round HOF's has to end. They've done a great job at replacing the aging talent, with Larkin, Nyqvuist, Mrazek, Mantha, etc., but....where are their centers? All of their young talent is on the wings. Plus, they no longer have HOF d-men to lock down the back end and allow for easier transitioning/play for their old, or inexperienced, forwards. 

In other words, they're ######. Their prospects at center are actually pathetic, and Zetterberg and Datsyuk have 3 more years, tops. And that's not at a high level, even remotely. They're both consistently hurt, and so far Datsyuk is at a 20 pt decline in nearly the same number of games played from last year (63 to 59) and Zetterberg a 21 pt decline with 2 less games played

They've invested heavily on the wings, and have nothing to show for it as Datsyuk and Zetterberg grow old and useless. Come to think on it, they're actually pretty solid candidates for Stamkos, or if not, Tavares

Never mind, they're cap is screwed. If they don't immediately start drafting quality centers, or some miracle happens, they're in really rough shape in about 2-3 years

Larkin has played wing all year, but I believe he's a natural center. They certainly need to fill in behind him, but he'll probably be a damn good replacement top line C. 

I know they fell a goal short of another 3rd period comeback. This team just does not have quirt in them. Game by game the hope I have for this team is turning into respect and pride. These are players that make it easy to cheer for them. Not because of draft status, because of effort and the players they are. 

Another piss-poor effort by the Sabres.   I was at the game,  in fact we had terrific seats in the 3rd row on the aisle next to the Sabres' bench.  .  The scoreboard doesn't reflect the offensive sleepwalking by the team thru the first 57 minutes.   They only made 5 shots in the first, and 4 shots in the 2nd period.   When Detroit went up 3-0 on the empty net goal (more poor play on the Sabres part),  the Sabres had only made 5 shots on goal in the first 17 minutes of the 3rd period.    

A penalty by that idiot Gorges caused the 3rd PP of the 1st period, and a goal.  You can't keep running up all those almost back to back PPs and expect to not get scored on.    I wasn't impressed with either Bogosian or Gorges.     Maybe because they're now officially eliminated from the playoffs (like that was ever a possibility with this team?) there was a lack of motivation?   I would blame that on the coach - he should have them motivated and ready to play every time - if nothing else, some of these guys should be playing like their job was on the line in the off-season.  

Guys who WERE motivated - because they showed emotion -  Eichel and Kane and Reinhart.    They were pissed off in several instances - one where Eichel was clearly interfered with but no penalty call.   

Another piss-poor effort by the Sabres.   I was at the game,  in fact we had terrific seats in the 3rd row on the aisle next to the Sabres' bench.  .  The scoreboard doesn't reflect the offensive sleepwalking by the team thru the first 57 minutes.   They only made 5 shots in the first, and 4 shots in the 2nd period.   When Detroit went up 3-0 on the empty net goal (more poor play on the Sabres part),  the Sabres had only made 5 shots on goal in the first 17 minutes of the 3rd period.    

A penalty by that idiot Gorges caused the 3rd PP of the 1st period, and a goal.  You can't keep running up all those almost back to back PPs and expect to not get scored on.    I wasn't impressed with either Bogosian or Gorges.     Maybe because they're now officially eliminated from the playoffs (like that was ever a possibility with this team?) there was a lack of motivation?   I would blame that on the coach - he should have them motivated and ready to play every time - if nothing else, some of these guys should be playing like their job was on the line in the off-season.  

Guys who WERE motivated - because they showed emotion -  Eichel and Kane and Reinhart.    They were pissed off in several instances - one where Eichel was clearly interfered with but no penalty call.   

Agreed with most if not all of your take. One thing I would add is that Eich needs to keep skating if he wants those calls.

Agreed with most if not all of your take. One thing I would add is that Eich needs to keep skating if he wants those calls.

Yup.  That's a good point, he did kind of give up on the play at that point and looked at the officials while play continued - rookie mistake.   But - he was fired up for the most part - too bad most of the team wasn't.   

Detroit is rather infamous this season for slow starts in the 1st -  often falling behind the opposing team in shots on goal by 2 to 1 or greater margins.   It was totally reversed against the Sabres;  I think it was 12-5 in favor of the Wings at the end of the 1st.    dunno if it falls on the team, or Bylsma, or both for not taking advantage of an opponents' demonstrated season long weakness and coming out with guns blazing.   And Howard was in the net too - once the Sabres started shooting (last 3 minutes of the game) they started scoring.  Even Howard, though, can look good when the opposing team  only puts 4 SOGs in 20 minutes.  smh   

A couple funny moments - before warm ups, there was a woman with a Hasek jersey on who kept pestering the Crowd Manager who was sitting next to me (I was right on the aisle)  if she could lean on the tunnel railing when the Sabres came out for warm ups.   She was like "What if I stand here and lean?" or "What if I keep one foot back by the seat and one foot out in the aisle?"   Sigh!!!  The crowd manager, who told someone later he'd been working at Joe Louis for 30 years, just smiled and shook his head no to all of her requests.

And then another guy kept asking the crowd managers if he could talk to the Sabres to ask to buy a hockey stick.   lol   Uhm, NO!!!  

Larkin has played wing all year, but I believe he's a natural center. They certainly need to fill in behind him, but he'll probably be a damn good replacement top line C. 

Fair enough. I mean, that still only gives them one though. They literally have nothing in their pool outside of Larkin IIRC

Meh.  I've been in games where officiating is horrible.  It saps the energy right out of you.  Why even try when you are getting screwed by the officials.  Blah blah blah pro this and pro that.. but really.  That game last night was the worst officiated game I had seen all season.

The Wings had a lot to prove after getting blown away by the Pens and they deserve a lot of credit for their play.

Still.. that officiating.

Oh, and Lehner was out - still.   SMH.    The guy has been out most of the year from a self-inflicted stretching injury at the beginning of the season for pity's sake! He can't help that he's injured, but maybe the Sabres need look elsewhere in the off-season?  Skill is important but durability is a close second.  The most skilled goalie in the world isn't much good to a team when he's sitting on the bench is he?  If he went out due to a huge collision in the crease defending against a goal,  at least it would make it a little more palatable than going out from an activity that was basically on-ice Pilates, for cryin out loud! 

Edited by Jsixspd

Meh. I've been in games where officiating is horrible. It saps the energy right out of you. Why even try when you are getting screwed by the officials. Blah blah blah pro this and pro that.. but really. That game last night was the worst officiated game I had seen all season.

The Wings had a lot to prove after getting blown away by the Pens and they deserve a lot of credit for their play.

Still.. that officiating.

>LTS< I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you didn't use reffing or reffed once. I just found out that my phone autocorrects them. How many jerk offs are overriding their electronic device to use words that aren't words? :wallbash:

We played very poorly overall. The reffing was also bad, though. Certainly more than a few head scratchers. Oh well, it probably wasn't the difference in the game.

>LTS< I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you didn't use reffing or reffed once. I just found out that my phone autocorrects them. How many jerk offs are overriding their electronic device to use words that aren't words? :wallbash:

:blush:

I'll take the praise but I don't doubt I have used those other words as well, perhaps even earlier in this thread.  :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.