GDT: Carolina @ Buffalo, 1:00 pm ET, 3/12/2016

Doohickie

The call itself is nothing special. But watching Rick's eyes light up, the pure joy of the game winner, is just perfect. That's a man who loves his job. A skilled craftsman.

Exactly, his reaction is priceless and pure. There are a few on here who think Rick is done or rather hear someone else call the PBP, IMO he's earned the right to retire when he wants to. When he's gone we will all be wishing he was still here. The man is a legend and the voice of the Sabres. Show him some respect.

I like the spirited defense of Rick, but who's not showing him respect? I respect him enough to not try and turn a run of the mill (by his standards) call into May Day II. "How do you do?!" is pretty trite.

I agree that the call, itself, was mundane.  But if you ever do find a computer that can play that vid, you'll get it.  All day, it was kind of cool when the broadcast inset him, we got to see how he does what he does.  And then on that goal! It was pretty neat.

Edited by Eleven

I agree that the call, itself, was mundane.  But if you ever do find a computer that can play that vid, you'll get it.  All day, it was kind of cool when the broadcast inset him, we got to see how he does what he does.  And then on that goal! It was pretty neat.

I seen the video, just not the raw footage that doesn't cut away when Eichel goes in. I do get it. I'm really just commenting on the call.

I seen the video, just not the raw footage that doesn't cut away when Eichel goes in. I do get it. I'm really just commenting on the call.

You "saw" the video. Also do you mean the raw footage of Rick in the booth? Because that was at the original link you commented on. Just scroll down a touch and it is Rick all the way.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Rick%2BJeanneret%2Bcalling%2BJack%2BEichel%27s%2Bfirst%2BOT%2Bwinner%2Bis%2Ba%2Bthing%2Bof%2Bbeauty&id=575084

I like the spirited defense of Rick, but who's not showing him respect? I respect him enough to not try and turn a run of the mill (by his standards) call into May Day II. "How do you do?!" is pretty trite.

I'm not trying make it any bigger than it is. I just appreciate his call and reaction to Jack's goal.

People put way too much into goal calls. RJ was great in the day because he was spontaneous and everybody loved when he made a memorable call. Nobody cared about what he would say next and nobody cared about what he would come up with for each player. Over the years the fanfare took away from it all and ruined the moment. Just let the man do his job and accept what he chooses to call.

You should do it where the first hot dog is McDavid but the second hot dog is Eichel.

The original plan was to obviously have it reversed, but your idea still works perfectly. Sizzle does all the ps stuff, I don't really know how.

What do you say, Sizzle?

I miss the old days of the internet sometimes. I look back fondly on the days of AIM and my parents being mad that the phone line was always tied up. 

:(

IRC. WWIVnet (or local network IceNET) if you want to go to non-Internet communications. Those were the bad old days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.