Eichel and Reinhart: The Dynamic Duo

DR HOLLIDAY

Ultimately I think McDavid's games played may knock him out, but if he finishes the year with a PPG or better then I think he's in. So it comes down to Gostisbehere vs. Eichel. I'd probably bet Eichel, but with all the exposure Ghost has gotten in Philly with OT winners and scoring from the blue line, wouldn't be surprised at all if he got it.

Motivated by Dudacek's comment about Eichel's scoring rate since Christmas, decided to look up some scoring stuff today during lunch. Eichel is currently 8th in the entire league in scoring since Christmas, and first among rookies. He's ahead of guys like Backstrom, Karlsson, Ovechkin, and Benn. He only trails Crosby, Thornton, Kane, Kuznetsov, Kopitar, Letang, and Getzlaf. Given his weak supporting cast, particularly in light of the O'Reilly injury, that's crazy impressive. 

I've talked myself into it: Eichel is a shoe-in for a Calder finalist.

Agreed. At first I was rather accepting of the fact that in a very strong rookie class, Eichel may not get a nomination, and it would be relatively palatable. But at this rate, he's clearly deserving of one.

Ultimately I think McDavid's games played may knock him out, but if he finishes the year with a PPG or better then I think he's in. So it comes down to Gostisbehere vs. Eichel. I'd probably bet Eichel, but with all the exposure Ghost has gotten in Philly with OT winners and scoring from the blue line, wouldn't be surprised at all if he got it.

Motivated by Dudacek's comment about Eichel's scoring rate since Christmas, decided to look up some scoring stuff today during lunch. Eichel is currently 8th in the entire league in scoring since Christmas, and first among rookies. He's ahead of guys like Backstrom, Karlsson, Ovechkin, and Benn. He only trails Crosby, Thornton, Kane, Kuznetsov, Kopitar, Letang, and Getzlaf. Given his weak supporting cast, particularly in light of the O'Reilly injury, that's crazy impressive.

I've talked myself into it: Eichel is a shoe-in for a Calder finalist.

I'm curious, how did you look that up? Did you just brute force it or is there some database where you can select a starting date?

Also, that stat is insanely telling. Between that and his controlled possession entries, it really makes Jack seem, if anything, overlooked. The night of the Carolina game I waited for te highlights on NHL network to come up. Our game was the 7/8th game highlighted, and the entire build up to the highlight was about Carolina's OT winner. I was so confused. 19 year old rookie phenom scores 2 with the OT breakaway winner with 1 second left, and they advertise the game with Carolina's last OT winner. Makes no sense

I'm curious, how did you look that up? Did you just brute force it or is there some database where you can select a starting date?

The NHL website stats section lets you do start/end dates if you view statistics by GAME.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=game&report=skatersummary&startDate=2015-12-25&endDate=2016-03-13&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=1&pos=S

Also, that stat is insanely telling. Between that and his controlled possession entries, it really makes Jack seem, if anything, overlooked. The night of the Carolina game I waited for te highlights on NHL network to come up. Our game was the 7/8th game highlighted, and the entire build up to the highlight was about Carolina's OT winner. I was so confused. 19 year old rookie phenom scores 2 with the OT breakaway winner with 1 second left, and they advertise the game with Carolina's last OT winner. Makes no sense

But then NHL Network named him the First Star of the night. So there is that.

Sunday's NBC  pre-game they also spoke of how easy he made that play look.

Also, wasn't it about a week or 2 ago most on this site were calling Bylsma a buffoon for putting Kane back together with Eichel. Now that trio is  the 2nd coming of the French Connection??? I love how some good or bad happens to this team and the site turns faster than a pancake.

The ROR injury is starting to look like the best thing to happen to Jack, he now thinks it's his team and the results are striking.

Edited by jsb

I wonder how much Reinhart helps that Kane - Eichel chemistry. I also wonder how much Eichel getting better and Kane settling in helps.

I don't think there is any doubt about that. What is also so nice to see with this trio is the apparent total lack of a monster ego to tear it apart. Samson may not have the sprinters speed the other 2 have but it opens up so much for him (and all 3 for that matter) that his skill level just is eye opening. That move and assist on Eichel's 1st goal was nothing short of filthy. And the speed the 3 of them got up the ice on was almost lost in the amazing passing.

Personally I think Kane looks at it like he doesn't have to carry that line he just has to do what he does best, forecheck, hustle for loose pucks and shoot. They'll get the puck back to him when necessary. I wonder if GMTM is re-evaluating his comment that no-one presently on the team is the future winger for Jack because it appears to me they found both of them.

Ah I see. Thanks

But then NHL Network named him the First Star of the night. So there is that.

That's even more confusing then. Maybe it's just really marketing, because I have no clue how he can be your first star, and not make any of your pre-show advertising that night, and not have any post-highlight discussion about him/the game

Sunday's NBC  pre-game they also spoke of how easy he made that play look.

Also, wasn't it about a week or 2 ago most on this site were calling Bylsma a buffoon for putting Kane back together with Eichel. Now that trio is  the 2nd coming of the French Connection??? I love how some good or bad happens to this team and the site turns faster than a pancake.

The ROR injury is starting to look like the best thing to happen to Jack, he now thinks it's his team and the results are striking.

I think the ROR injury may be the best for Kane, and probably Jack too. Nobody saw Shoots-From-the-Wall Kane (@Liger) to suddenly stop demanding to carry the puck in every time and start passing more than once in the offensive zone. It's incredible that playing all year with ROR didn't put hockey sense into Kane's head, but playing 2-3 weeks with Jack and Sam seems to 

I wonder how much Reinhart helps that Kane - Eichel chemistry. I also wonder how much Eichel getting better and Kane settling in helps.

On one hand, I hate Reinhart on that line, because it seems like he never gets the puck. OTOH, I worry taking him off that line means we wee Jack and Kane pinned in their own end for long stretches 

You just insulted Eichel and Reinhart.

Outstanding  :lol:

Ah I see. Thanks

That's even more confusing then. Maybe it's just really ###### marketing, because I have no clue how he can be your first star, and not make any of your pre-show advertising that night, and not have any post-highlight discussion about him/the game

I think the ROR injury may be the best for Kane, and probably Jack too. Nobody saw Shoots-From-the-Wall Kane (@Liger) to suddenly stop demanding to carry the puck in every time and start passing more than once in the offensive zone. It's incredible that playing all year with ROR didn't put hockey sense into Kane's head, but playing 2-3 weeks with Jack and Sam seems to

On one hand, I hate Reinhart on that line, because it seems like he never gets the puck. OTOH, I worry taking him off that line means we wee Jack and Kane pinned in their own end for long stretches

Outstanding :lol:

Kane with ROR and D-lo at practice

Girgs with Eichel and Reino

I suppose I'm going to be Debbie downer and not let 2 weeks of hockey from Kane override the rest of the season that we've seen, plus all of the observations from his Winnipeg days. I agree that he appears to be playing smarter offensively, but it's not like Eichel-Kane were generating zero chances earlier in the year, it's just that nothing was going in. There was almost certainly some bad luck involved in that which contributed to most of us hating the pair, but the flip side is this current run of results could be doing the opposite to us: making us think there has been a bigger underlying change on style than there actually has been. For instance I've still seen him kill offensive possessions with poor decisions, it's just that when he's not making poor decisions the puck is going in the net instead of not.

It sure seems like he's playing smarter on the whole, but appearances can be deceiving, and personally I want to see it last longer before saying the old dog really has learned new tricks. I also think it's worth considering that even if Kane is playing smarter (and can sustain it) that Kane-Eichel-Reinhart still might not be the optimal lineup for this roster. Better!= best.

I suppose I'm going to be Debbie downer and not let 2 weeks of hockey from Kane override the rest of the season that we've seen, plus all of the observations from his Winnipeg days. I agree that he appears to be playing smarter offensively, but it's not like Eichel-Kane were generating zero chances earlier in the year, it's just that nothing was going in. There was almost certainly some bad luck involved in that which contributed to most of us hating the pair, but the flip side is this current run of results could be doing the opposite to us: making us think there has been a bigger underlying change on style than there actually has been. For instance I've still seen him kill offensive possessions with poor decisions, it's just that when he's not making poor decisions the puck is going in the net instead of not.

It sure seems like he's playing smarter on the whole, but appearances can be deceiving, and personally I want to see it last longer before saying the old dog really has learned new tricks. I also think it's worth considering that even if Kane is playing smarter (and can sustain it) that Kane-Eichel-Reinhart still might not be the optimal lineup for this roster. Better!= best.

Agreed on Kane. Even though he does appear to be playing smarter, it is such a short stretch, and we'll see what happens when he starts getting frustrating again and maybe reverts back to his own ways. 

Kane with Eichel will never be the best combination we can have, I'm convinced of that. Still, it was fun to watch while it happened, and I think it did help Kane 

You're the guy who ruins a grooms' wedding night.

As a result, I fully expect DD to break them up as soon as ROR returns. 

My first impulse was to laugh at your joke.   Then I realized... it might not be a joke; and that Disco could actually do something that awful.   :cry:  

Edited by Jsixspd

TrueBlueGED, on 14 Mar 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:TrueBlueGED, on 14 Mar 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

What is it about Kane that makes you believe he can't or won't grow, mature, and/or evolve as a player?

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

What is it about Kane that makes you believe he can't or won't grow, mature, and/or evolve as a player?

He's going on 25 years old and this is his 7th year in the league...I just think at a certain point things like hockey sense and vision are as developed as they're going to be--I don't think they're skills that develop well into a player's career. He might be able to smooth over some of the rough edges, but I don't think his offensive instincts are going to undergo a dramatic shift at this point in his career. It seems unlikely, anyway.

Ex Winnepeg Jets Haters gotta Ex Winnepeg Jets Hate

TrueBlueGED, on 14 Mar 2016 - 1:02 PM, said:

He's going on 25 years old and this is his 7th year in the league...I just think at a certain point things like hockey sense and vision are as developed as they're going to be--I don't think they're skills that develop well into a player's career. He might be able to smooth over some of the rough edges, but I don't think his offensive instincts are going to undergo a dramatic shift at this point in his career. It seems unlikely, anyway.

I find your perspective perplexing, especially since, I assume, you teach adults. Do all adults stop developing skills at age 25?  Also, we're talking about the NHL, where goalies aren't usually allowed on the ice until they're about 24 years old.  I'm a better guitar player at 40 than I was at 25. 

I think I'm looking at accusing you of having an unreasonable bias here (and NO, not a color bias, for all of those knee-jerk dumb- out there).  You seem more than ready to write Kane off, ostensibly due to his age, and no other factor(s).  Yes/no? 

His continued lack of hockey sense.  Come out of the corner with the puck that he battled VERY hard to get and then tried to beat two guys to the slot only to lose it.  He does it time and again.  I love his hustle but when he gets the puck he routinely throws it away with a "Hope Play."  Very very frustrating because he could make better plays and keep Buffalo in possession of the puck, but instead he forces things.

His continued lack of hockey sense.  Come out of the corner with the puck that he battled VERY hard to get and then tried to beat two guys to the slot only to lose it.  He does it time and again.  I love his hustle but when he gets the puck he routinely throws it away with a "Hope Play."  Very very frustrating because he could make better plays and keep Buffalo in possession of the puck, but instead he forces things.

Good observation.

His play with Reinhart and Eichel, though, had me re-thinking my opinion of him.

My first impulse was to laugh at your joke.   Then I realized... it might not be a joke; and that Disco could actually do something that awful.   :cry:  

I thought I was joking, too. But then I saw the line combos as practice today and Kane was back with ROR with DeLo on the wing. DD had Girgs skating with Eichel/Reinhart, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but doesn't DD believe in keeping a hot line intact as least until they've cooled off? 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.