Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Man, we really need a stud TE.

We've got one.

Also: Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jimmy G are the only ones over 30% across the middle. The best TE between them is Martellus Bennett (Jimmy G didn't have Gronk) and the other three have nobodies at TE.

We've got one.

Also: Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jimmy G are the only ones over 30% across the middle. The best TE between them is Martellus Bennett (Jimmy G didn't have Gronk) and the other three have nobodies at TE.

I would say the over the middle is more inside slants and crossing routes, which we had basically none in the first two games and yesterday showed a little bit more of. You don't need TE to throw over the middle.

Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jimmy G are the only ones over 30% across the middle. The best TE between them is Martellus Bennett (Jimmy G didn't have Gronk) and the other three have nobodies at TE.

Dennis Pitta isn't a elite TE, but he's far from a nobody.

Also, in addition to being a elite quarterback. Flacco being approximately 7' tall is part of why he can throw over the middle.

I would say the over the middle is more inside slants and crossing routes, which we had basically none in the first two games and yesterday showed a little bit more of. You don't need TE to throw over the middle.

This is true.

Dennis Pitta isn't a elite TE, but he's far from a nobody.

Also, in addition to being a elite quarterback. Flacco being approximately 7' tall is part of why he can throw over the middle.

Pitta played seven games in the three years prior to this one. He's off to a good start in the two games he has played, but he's nothing to me until he can prove he's still fully capable.

And size isn't an excuse, it's a factor. Certainly hurts us.

Crazy stat (brought to you by Tim Graham):

At the half the Patriots had only 17 offensive snaps. In those 17 defensive snaps for the Bills Zach Brown had 8 tackles (2 for a loss) and two forced fumbles.

The last thing I'll say on the Bills WR depth: Michael Crabtree has been AWESOME in Oakland and has caught the game-winning TD in two consecutive weeks for them. Before Crabtree signed with the Raiders he went on NFL Network and said he wanted to sign with Buffalo (also mentioned San Diego). A few days letter Whaley chose to sign Percy Harvin.

Greg Roman was never a Michael Crabtree fan. 

Only 12.1% of Tyrod Taylor's throws have gone to the middle of the field, the lowest of any NFL starter.

Eric Turner at Cover1 reposted PFF's pass distribution chart from yesterday's game. TT had a very good game between the numbers yesterday. Excellent in fact. I don't know how much of that to attribute to A Lynn or TT, but Belichick dared TT to beat them there and damned if TT didn't do just that. 

Please let that be a hint of things to come. Espcially vs. LA, whose safeties are questionable, imo. 

We've got one.

I actually forgot about Clay. That's kinda awful,… although, yesterday really is the first day he made himself known to us.

Seeing that Curtis Martin jersey reminds me of the one I used to have (yea, I owned a Jets jersey, but I loved Martin growing up).

Anybody else ever own any non-Bills football jerseys?

I've owned:

• White Jets Curtis Martin jersey
  • Red Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald jersey
  • White Falcons DeAngelo Hall jersey
  • Red Falcons John Abraham jersey
  • Black Falcons Michael Vick jersey
  • White Falcons Keith Brooking jersey

Yea, I grew up a Falcons and Bills fan.

If I was a Jets fan, I wouldn't be saying Fitz is great, I don't care that they're 1-3, that Fitz has thrown 10 ints, the important stat is he throws 30% over the middle. Flacco's quarterback ranking is bad, Manning is OK, and surprisingly, the fill-in quarterback for NE is really good.

If I was a Jets fan, I wouldn't be saying Fitz is great, I don't care that they're 1-3, that Fitz has thrown 10 ints, the important stat is he throws 30% over the middle. Flacco's quarterback ranking is bad, Manning is OK, and surprisingly, the fill-in quarterback for NE is really good.

no need to distort the argument like that.

it's a legitimate point of conversation: taylor does not exploit the middle of the field like other nfl qb's. opposing teams can game plan accordingly.

i do wonder what his pass distribution was like against NE. where do you go for such stats?

okay - pro football reference has the stats (in a roundabout sort of way).

5 of taylor's 39 attempts went over the middle yesterday. something like 12.8%.

Does this mean anything?

It's critical that a QB be able to hit plays in every area of the field; you are just too easy to defend otherwise, especially with the level of athleticism on display in today's league. 

it's a legitimate point of conversation: taylor does not exploit the middle of the field like other nfl qb's. opposing teams can game plan accordingly.

i do wonder what his pass distribution was like against NE. where do you go for such stats?

As I posted up thread, he did exceptionally well between the numbers yesterday. Belichick dared him to beat them there and he did. If it's A Lynn making that much of a difference, I gotta wonder what Roman was thinking. Let's hope it continues. 

i do wonder what his pass distribution was like against NE. where do you go for such stats?okay - pro football reference has the stats (in a roundabout sort of way).

And at least 2 of those were deflected at the line - yet still completed. (40%, if it's true only 5 attempts; which sounds about right.) Yesterday would've been a good day to be a Bills fan & holding a lottery ticket. Sonetimes your numbers just hit.

And at least 2 of those were deflected at the line - yet still completed. (40%, if it's true only 5 attempts; which sounds about right.) Yesterday would've been a good day to be a Bills fan & holding a lottery ticket. Sonetimes your numbers just hit.

According to PFF, Taylor was 9 of 10 for 82 yards and an average QB rating of 101.4 on throws between the numbers yesterday. I don't follow PFF and never read their website; this is a repost from Eric Turner at Cover1, one of the most knowledgeable bloggers out there. I swear he has worked in a quality control capacity in the league or college D1. 

Edited by K-9

Is that number correct?  I thought for sure there were more than 5 attempts over the middle

Is that number correct?  I thought for sure there were more than 5 attempts over the middle

Not if PFF is to be believed, apparently. See my post above. If 10 of his 39 attempts were between the numbers, then he went to that area more than 25% of the time yesterday or more than doubled his previous percentage of attempts to that area of the field. Belichick dared him and he took advantage. That's a huge development marker for TT as far as I'm concerned. 

no idea. here's where i gleaned that figure from:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201610020nwe.htm#targets_directions::none

this may be a definitional issue - on what's "the middle."

i word-searched the play-by-play on pro football reference, and it seems to indicate 5 attempts over the middle by taylor as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.