Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

*patiently waits for people to give Rex any credit*

I was the engineer and the conductor of a train that was running on rails intended to get Rex out of town. And I must admit: The defense of late has looked like ... well, like Rex Ryan defenses have often looked in the past. Pretty damn good.

Absolutely.  This doesn't mean that Glenn Gronk wasn't one.

My point is that every team in the league does this.

I think in that scenario you trade for Teddy and live with your backup for 4 games. That may be throwing away your season though seeing as EJ is back there

Pretty sure EJ is gone after this year. It a big risk either way, though. Zero practice time in a completely new offense, plus coming off a brutal injury? To say nothing of possible acquisition price. Particularly if we miss the playoffs again but Rex/Whaley stay, in can't imagine them taking that kind of a risk. Now, if Rex and/or Whaley are gone, then it seems more realistic.

I was the engineer and the conductor of a train that was running on rails intended to get Rex out of town. And I must admit: The defense of late has looked like ... well, like Rex Ryan defenses have often looked in the past. Pretty damn good.

It's not often a coach who has always run the defense would take a step back and hand off play calling to somebody else, to say nothing of the OC change in week two. I'm reminded of Ron Rivera when he was maybe a week away from getting fired fundamentally changing his approach. Who knows if the results stick, but I do think he should get credit for putting ego aside on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes, I agree.

Yes, and it must also be said that the offense looks better this year under Lynn than it did under Roman.

Yes, and it must also be said that the offense looks better this year under Lynn than it did under Roman.

Both units have looked significantly better once Rex became solely a head coach and gave up play calling. And if Sunday's game was any indication, the penalties went down as well.

I've always said there are so many things going on in the game that you need the head coach solely responsible for managing all of that (clock, time outs, challenges, situational awareness) and let the coordinators handle play-calling and their sides of the ball. Rex may have finally changed his model to reflect this.

I think in that scenario you trade for Teddy and live with your backup for 4 games. That may be throwing away your season though seeing as EJ is back there

Also, that price is going to be steep. There does your first rounder

I don't think Bridgewater will recover any time soon , his leg was close to being lost, and even if you trade for him you can't spend more than a 2nd rounder because of that risk he carries.

*patiently waits for people to give Rex any credit*

More seriously, if Bridgewater were to become available, I'm highly interested. The problem is Tyrod's option. It's not like we could go QB-less on the chance that a guy coming off a major injury becomes available for trade but won't be ready until...October.

I give Rex credit for turning the defensive play calling over to someone else this season :lol:

But seriously, relative to the average NFL coach, I've been fine with him this season. His first two games were not terrible, and is last two have been quite good.

Both units have looked significantly better once Rex became solely a head coach and gave up play calling. And if Sunday's game was any indication, the penalties went down as well.

I've always said there are so many things going on in the game that you need the head coach solely responsible for managing all of that (clock, time outs, challenges, situational awareness) and let the coordinators handle play-calling and their sides of the ball. Rex may have finally changed his model to reflect this.

Absolutely.

Wondering though whether it was Whalley, Pegulas, or Rex himself that finally said to him - your job is to be the head coach, not the ####ing D-coordinator; you've already hired 2, we DON'T need a 3rd; go focus on YOUR job & let Thurman do his, or else he might be doing yours soon; capische?

Hopefully week 3 of this new era looks like the 1st 2. Not sold that it will, but am hopeful for it. Didn't expect THAT this season.

Absolutely.

Wondering though whether it was Whalley, Pegulas, or Rex himself that finally said to him - your job is to be the head coach, not the ####ing D-coordinator; you've already hired 2, we DON'T need a 3rd; go focus on YOUR job & let Thurman do his, or else he might be doing yours soon; capische?

Hopefully week 3 of this new era looks like the 1st 2. Not sold that it will, but am hopeful for it. Didn't expect THAT this season.

I don't doubt that pressure from above resulted in the change that we are seeing, but sometimes pressure causes one to change and adapt. I don't think Rex decides to change his m.o. if he isn't a little worried about his job security.

TBN with story about how back in the spring 2016, Coughlin came close to being the Bills football czar, or something like it.

But then the deal fell apart. The reasons are unclear. My guess? Brandon torpedoed it.

Edited by That Aud Smell

TBN with story about how back in the spring 2016, Coughlin came close to being the Bills football czar, or something like it.

But then the deal fell apart. The reasons are unclear. My guess? Brandon torpedoed it.

My guess? Coughlin wanted an avenue towards coaching, which the team was not willing to give him even in the event of a Rex flameout.

^

Rex was there. John Clayton's sourced info doesn't square with what Coughlin is saying.

Quotes:

And that was at Rex (Ryan)’s initiation – I would meet with ownership," Coughlin said. "He would be there. Russ Brandon would be there. And we would talk about the role that I would be as part of their program.

It was pretty good when we met and talked. I actually think they wanted me to do a lot of things. Maybe sit next to the owner in the press box, tell him what I thought about what was good and what was bad. I came away feeling good about it. So did Rex. Then all of the sudden the questions started to come and they decided that it was something they couldn’t do. But that was the only meeting we had. And the only time I’ve ever talked to ownership."

^

Rex was there. John Clayton's sourced info doesn't square with what Coughlin is saying.

Quotes:

And that was at Rex (Ryan)’s initiation – I would meet with ownership," Coughlin said. "He would be there. Russ Brandon would be there. And we would talk about the role that I would be as part of their program.

It was pretty good when we met and talked. I actually think they wanted me to do a lot of things. Maybe sit next to the owner in the press box, tell him what I thought about what was good and what was bad. I came away feeling good about it. So did Rex. Then all of the sudden the questions started to come and they decided that it was something they couldn’t do. But that was the only meeting we had. And the only time I’ve ever talked to ownership."

Welp.

^

Quotes:

Is this an indictment of Whaley by Rex? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.