What Is Jamie McGinn Worth?

bob_sauve28

Let's hope not. Trade him!!! Mcginn is a third liner, who can't play enough defense to be on DB' S third line. So what is his value? To me he is a JAG. Just get the best draft pick you can get and call it a day.

Really? I think he does everything, hits, scores, passes, plays d. Type of player I want in my line up. But, at what cost. I'd like to say I'd do the 4\4 but I don't know much about our long term budget with having to sign Samson, Risto, Jack, etc. If we can't afford him, by by 

Really? I think he does everything, hits, scores, passes, plays d. Type of player I want in my line up. But, at what cost. I'd like to say I'd do the 4\4 but I don't know much about our long term budget with having to sign Samson, Risto, Jack, etc. If we can't afford him, by by

4/4 sounds about right. Would love to keep him on the roster.

Personally, I'm still all about moving him for assets and then trying to retain him in the offseason.  I like him and he's a positive veteran in the room.  But, really it should be about getting value out of another dud of a season.  He could help any number of teams with his play style.  Someone will overpay if they're left out of the more prominent spending options.

It's only anecdotal evidence but our boards hockey afficianados claim his D is unremarkable.

$4MM x 4 years is too much, IMHO.  I'd probably max out at $3.5MM x 3 years.

This is where I'm at, while hoping he plays well enough to be tradeable in year 3 of the deal if we need that cap space for Eichel/Reinhart/Kane extensions. I'm not willing to go 4 years under any circumstances, and I may even prefer a 2 year deal at a higher cap hit if that would be amenable to him. Ultimately I think it probably takes a 4x4 contract to sign him, which is why I'd prefer to just trade him at the deadline.

Let's hope not. Trade him!!! Mcginn is a third liner, who can't play enough defense to be on DB' S third line. So what is his value? To me he is a JAG. Just get the best draft pick you can get and call it a day.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does JAG stand for? I've seen that term thrown around here and while I understand the context I'm lost to the direct meaning.

My thoughts on McGinn are trade him at the deadline and then try to re-sign him in the offseason. He's making 3 mil this year and is playing well in his contract year. He's also 28 and coming off back surgery. I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years at a max of 4 mil. If we can't re-sign him, I wouldn't mind. He's not an integral piece moving forward.

I'm interested in seeing how the flattening cap is dealt with this summer.

We saw an early rush, with less overpayment last summer, and a few guys like Franson who got left outside.

I wonder if the laws of supply and demand are swinging to the owners' side.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does JAG stand for? I've seen that term thrown around here and while I understand the context I'm lost to the direct meaning.

My thoughts on McGinn are trade him at the deadline and then try to re-sign him in the offseason. He's making 3 mil this year and is playing well in his contract year. He's also 28 and coming off back surgery. I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years at a max of 4 mil. If we can't re-sign him, I wouldn't mind. He's not an integral piece moving forward.

Just another guy.

I'm interested in seeing how the flattening cap is dealt with this summer.

We saw an early rush, with less overpayment last summer, and a few guys like Franson who got left outside.

I wonder if the laws of supply and demand are swinging to the owners' side.

Yes, yes, yes.

That swooning Loonie is going to create chickens that are gonna come home to roost.

#mixedbirdmetaphors

My thoughts on McGinn are trade him at the deadline and then try to re-sign him in the offseason. He's making 3 mil this year and is playing well in his contract year. He's also 28 and coming off back surgery. I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years at a max of 4 mil. 

Yep to everything here. If he is re-signed prior to the deadline, the term will be the biggest key.

First, McGinn isn't having one of those career"contract" years. He has been this pretty consistently.

Second, he is part of that shrinking middle class. Trans are paying their core and filling roster with kids and veterans on short term deals. He is a $3.5x3 guy and if you can acquire an asset for him you take it unless he's willing to sign for even less.

Third, if you can get him back, great, but it isn't paramount to the success of the process.

I like McGinn but for the money, I would prefer they have some extra money to go after a top line LHD in free agency or off season trade. Also for the same money or a bit more you can pick up a more productive, speedier winger. I don't see him being worth it in the long run.

Edited by jsb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.