OT: David Bowie Has Passed Away

WildCard

A word I don't use often ... genius.

A good man who pushed boundaries at a time when that was a more thoughtful, permanent, and risky thing to do.

A part of my youth that exposed me to the beauty of different.

A talent.

I envy those with legacies that touched and formed.

To the Stars, whence you came. I am grateful for your visit.

Edited by Neo

I had joked for a while now that I didn't want David Bowie to be given any notable live performances for I feared he would finally take the opportunity to ascend to the stars with the whole world watching. I didn't want the legend to leave.

I was correct, however, about one thing: he would soon ascend to the stars. And so he has and so it is.

Away he goes. One of the few artists of his time I can listen to at any time and feel satisfied.

I have a sister who drove my parents crazy and the music she listened to at the time included Bowie. I couldn't like him because I thought somehow he was a bad influence on her and it was tough to see my parents suffer from her bad choices. And then I saw him on TV doing Little Drummer Boy at Christmas with Bing Crosby when I was about 15. This was a time when music was filled with over produced music that begged for the real rock and roll of the Clash, Ramones, Television, Brian Eno, Nick Lowe, Buzzcocks, Joe Jackson, Pistols, Elvis C and so much other stuff I loved. In reading many interviews at the time I was struck how many true artists mentioned Bowie as an influence. I started listening. And hooked I became.

In a world of formulas and invented stars, there are very few true artists that just don't fit any mold.

Ashes to Ashes, Funk to Funky. 

Only a few days ago we were celebrating another year in his life, my office played his music all day for his birthday. Today we're celebrating his life in a mournful way, and recognizing there is no more. 

It was always comforting to me and really, nearly every other art student I knew, to know that someone as creative as Bowie existed in the world. It feels a little duller today. 

Have a good trip to space and the beyond, black star. Oh no, you're not alone. 

LrzncCU.jpg

Hard to find a human who lived without caring one bit about what anyone else thought of him. Who truly pushed the boundaries of what you could sound and look like while you do it. He always made the records he wanted to make, damn the sales, and I respect that a great deal. He was one of the true great musical talents we'll see on this planet, and I can't wait to make the office listen to Diamond Dogs all day.

Only a few days ago we were celebrating another year in his life, my office played his music all day for his birthday. Today we're celebrating his life in a mournful way, and recognizing there is no more. 

It was always comforting to me and really, nearly every other art student I knew, to know that someone as creative as Bowie existed in the world. It feels a little duller today. 

Have a good trip to space and the beyond, black star. Oh no, you're not alone. 

LrzncCU.jpg

This is touching.

I can't say I've ever really felt like an "outsider" in social settings (I'm too much of a sycophant adaptable chameleon for that), but I know well that Bowie was in many ways the outsider. Almost quite literally an alien among us. He was our age's most spectacular (and beautiful) weirdo. 

This is touching.

I can't say I've ever really felt like an "outsider" in social settings (I'm too much of a sycophant adaptable chameleon for that), but I know well that Bowie was in many ways the outsider. Almost quite literally an alien among us. He was our age's most spectacular (and beautiful) weirdo. 

I don't think I've ever actually cried over a celebrity upon their death before. It's just what he stood for, which you nailed. He was bizarre. He made it okay to be weird and to reinvent yourself. He was anything you wanted him to be, whatever flight of fancy at whatever time in your life. Bowie was so many people rolled into one, and it's just not that common for popular musicians to have that much reign over their own image, then or now. 

He was respected, too. You didn't even have to like his music, he was an awesome spectacle.

He was just such a bright spot to me. It's like a funeral in the office today, a lot of us are Bowie fans. I guess it says something that a company with no one over 43 years old is mourning his loss so deeply. We're all a little young for his heyday. He transcended a lot of generations with his indomitable weirdness. 

Man. Weiland, then Lemmy, now Bowie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.