Tank 3.0

inkman

DTM? I'm assuming this takes strength of schedule into account?

With ROR back and Bailey recalled? I think we take 4/6 at least

I just don't think hockey works like this. Good teams lose bad teams win. It's not like someone is going 70-12 or 12-70. Edited by inkman

DTM? I'm assuming this takes strength of schedule into account?

With ROR back and Bailey recalled? I think we take 4/6 at least

I don't think we see Bailey back this year.  I think they will give him some points to work on and a ton of minutes to do so in Rochester.  We might see Fasching just as a tease and a bargaining chip for him to jump this year.

I just don't think hockey works like this. Good teams lose bad teams win. It's not like someone is going 70-12 or 12-70.

Of course not, but we can predict with better accuracy the likelihood of an outcome based on relative difference. 

Andrew Peters said on tv today that he thinks the most important part of the remainder of the season is for the team to get a top five pick. Said he's not necessarily rooting for losses but he was happy they lost last night.

Andrew Peters said on tv today that he thinks the most important part of the remainder of the season is for the team to get a top five pick. Said he's not necessarily rooting for losses but he was happy they lost last night.

Win or lose, I just want them to play better than they are currently.    They looked uninterested last night, just like the team did last year down the stretch.    That's concerning.

Win or lose, I just want them to play better than they are currently.    They looked uninterested last night, just like the team did last year down the stretch.    That's concerning.

They've looked that way a lot this season. It can become a nasty habit.

They've looked that way a lot this season. It can become a nasty habit.

LOL -  The Buffalo Sabres web page optimistically declares "The Next Chapter";   I dunno - this last month, I feel like I'm reading last season's "chapter".   

There's been less than five times this season I've thought the Sabres looked disinterested.

Overmatched, yes. Offensively inept, for sure. Robotic, plenty of times.

But they have rarely looked disinterested.

Not sure if that's on Bylsma or the leadership in the room, but it's been one positive of this season for me.

Peters and Rivet were hosting Hockey Hotline a few weeks back and Peters mentioned that losses weren't the worse thing for the team going forward. Rivet didn't say anything for a while and then said two of our leading scorers are young top draft picks, you get great players by sucking. Matthew Coller who was producing brought up how anti Tank they both were last season, and they both joked that was last year, it's our turn to root for losses.

Peters and Rivet were hosting Hockey Hotline a few weeks back and Peters mentioned that losses weren't the worse thing for the team going forward. Rivet didn't say anything for a while and then said two of our leading scorers are young top draft picks, you get great players by sucking. Matthew Coller who was producing brought up how anti Tank they both were last season, and they both joked that was last year, it's our turn to root for losses.

This is what confused me. Peters would tell me how much of a loser mentality it was to root for losses during last season. Every week I had to deal with the jokes and now this.

Edited by Hoss

I understand if people are anti-tank both years, pro tank both years, or pro tank last year and no so much this year (I fall into this category, I think), but to be anti-tank last year, with who we had playing, and what finishing last guaranteed, and pro tank this year, seems odd to say the least.

Edited by Thorny

This is what confused me. Peters would tell me how much of a loser mentality it was to root for losses during last season. Every week I had to deal with the jokes and now this.

I understand if people are anti-tank both years, pro tank both years, or pro tank last year and no so much this year (I fall into this category, I think), but to be anti-tank last year, with who we had playing, and what finishing last guaranteed, and pro tank this year, seems odd to say the least.

I don't think it's all that odd. Many of us were saying that this is actually how you tank the right way, or at least a more acceptable way. Try to win until the trade deadline, see where you are then act accordingly.

A half season tanking effort last year, which to me isn't even tanking at all, puts us in grave danger of being the Coyotes and out on McEichel. Last year required a real and committed tank for the entire year, and we were rewarded for it.

This year is allowing your young, inexperienced and developing core to learn in the school of hard knocks, and not close to tanking IMO.

A half season tanking effort last year, which to me isn't even tanking at all, puts us in grave danger of being the Coyotes and out on McEichel. Last year required a real and committed tank for the entire year, and we were rewarded for it.

This year is allowing your young, inexperienced and developing core to learn in the school of hard knocks, and not close to tanking IMO.

^this

We have not been rewarded for it yet.

I think you knew what I meant, but ill clarify anyway. We were nrewarded with McEichel, I don't think anyone expected the potential long term reward to be delivered less than one year out.

But most thought with Eichel, Reinhart, Kane and O'Reilly this team would be a lot better plus the way McGinn played early on. May be another 2 tank drafts before there is enough offensive talent on this team:(

But most thought with Eichel, Reinhart, Kane and O'Reilly this team would be a lot better plus the way McGinn played early on. May be another 2 tank drafts before there is enough offensive talent on this team:(

I've said this a billion times and I will again: this team is MUCH better. You can tell by watching the games or looking at the standings. The team is on pace for 20 more points than last season. They need 15 goals in 18 games to surpass last year's goal total and would need to give up 125 goals in that span to catch up in goals against.

I know there's so many more ways to show the improvement (or lack thereof), but this team has improved. A lot.

They've improved up to being~ the worst team in the NHL in points;  pretty darn close to the bottom. 

I wonder how the 2014/15 team would have performed in terms of total points, total goals, and goals against had ownership, management and coaching wanted to win as many games as possible, instead of intentionally tanking?  

We will never know what those numbers will be -  but it stands to reason a team that's being coached to win as much as possible is going to perform differently from one where the message from the top down is "lose!"       That hypothetical "not trying to tank" 2014-15 Sabres is what the current team should be gauged against. 

They've improved up to being~ the worst team in the NHL in points;  pretty darn close to the bottom. 

I wonder how the 2014/15 team would have performed in terms of total points, total goals, and goals against had ownership, management and coaching wanted to win as many games as possible, instead of intentionally tanking?  

We will never know what those numbers will be -  but it stands to reason a team that's being coached to win as much as possible is going to perform differently from one where the message from the top down is "lose!"       That hypothetical "not trying to tank" 2014-15 Sabres is what the current team should be gauged against. 

Why would we compare a hypothetical to real numbers when we have those real numbers. This years team is better. Next years team needs to be better.  Should we compare next year team to the Sabres if they had made the playoffs this year?  I don't understand this notion that last years team wasn't real and therefore can't be compared to. They played 82 games and were terrible. Even if they were designed to be that way it is still a starting point to compare to. We were at spot X last year and this year we made it to Y. 

This was assuming there wouldn't be any drop off from Ennis and Moulson.   They were #1 and #2 in scoring last season.

Add those two in at the level they played last year and everything changes... and having Lehner for a full season. 

Just getting those guys back to where they should be will make a huge difference next season.

This is exactly why we have no business comparing this team to last season's team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.