Tank 3.0

inkman

Wow! Check out the remaining 19 games on our schedule: only 5 against teams currently sitting in a playoff spot (NYR, NYR, NYI, Pitt, Detroit) and only 1 travel game (Carolina) outside the Detroit-Pittsburgh-NYC-Montreal circle of the Northeast.

This is going to make tanking especially difficult. And honestly, I'm personally okay with that as I'd rather see the young guys on this team step up.

Awesome, thanks!

Wow! Check out the remaining 19 games on our schedule: only 5 against teams currently sitting in a playoff spot (NYR, NYR, NYI, Pitt, Detroit) and only 1 travel game (Carolina) outside the Detroit-Pittsburgh-NYC-Montreal circle of the Northeast.

This is going to make tanking especially difficult. And honestly, I'm personally okay with that as I'd rather see the young guys on this team step up.

23 points in 19 games, we can do it! I'd rather see a strong finish and put our faith in the lottery than to have a finish and put our faith in the lottery. Besides, we due, right?

The idea behind remaining near where they're at in the standings right now isn't "putting faith in the lottery." Generally speaking the higher you are in the draft the better chance you have acquiring good talent.

I don't really mind where the rest of the season goes but it's not like that. I think the team would probably be better served to have one more high pick.

Edited by Hoss

The idea behind remaining near where they're at in the standings right now isn't "putting faith in the lottery." Generally speaking the higher you are in the draft the better chance you have acquiring good talent.

I don't really mind where the rest of the season goes but it's not like that. I think the team would probably be better served to have one more high pick.

I think they would be better served going 14-5 with Jack and Sam catching fire.

If they go 5-14, it wouldn't look as favorable on our chances going forward next year.

I think they would be better served going 14-5 with Jack and Sam catching fire.

If they go 5-14, it wouldn't look as favorable on our chances going forward next year.

I don't really put much weight on how the team finishes.

I do care about what Jack, Sam and Jake do, and to a lesser extent Lehner, Girgs, Pysyk and Larsson.

I want lessons learned that can be carried forward.

I don't really put much weight on how the team finishes.

I do care about what Jack, Sam and Jake do, and to a lesser extent Lehner, Girgs, Pysyk and Larsson.

I want lessons learned that can be carried forward.

I agree, in a way, but I think it comes down to semantics. How they finish isn't what I care about directly, but I don't think they are able to finish strong without strong performances from the kids, as they are the central figures on this team. They are the ones steering the ship. If Jack and Sam light it up, we will finish strong.

Wins mean something now, it's not empty points anymore.

I agree, in a way, but I think it comes down to semantics. How they finish isn't what I care about directly, but I don't think they are able to finish strong without strong performances from the kids, as they are the central figures on this team. They are the ones steering the ship. If Jack and Sam light it up, we will finish strong.

Wins mean something now, it's not empty points anymore.

Sam and Jack have had as good of seasons as anyone could have reasonably expected of them (especially Reinhart) and the team still has a losing record.  I don't care much about the wins and losses as well as the young core players are playing well, getting big minutes and learning.  They've been doing it all season thus far.  If we go 5-14 (highly doubtful) but Jack and Sam look the part and we're losing a bunch of one goal games then I'll still be optimistic looking forward.

I don't care about the record, I only care about how the important players play. I'd like to see Risto rebound from an uneven few months, Eichel go on a tear, Reinhart do well at center, and McCabe/Pysyk show some growth. Maybe even Girgensons show some signs of life. If it results in wins that's fine, and if it doesn't, well, that's okay too. Maybe it wouldn't be meaningful for next season, but going something like 5-14 AND having those guys all struggle would be disheartening. Alternatively, going 14-5 on the backs of a Gionta scoring streak while the core pieces continue to struggle wouldn't do much of anything for me. TLDR: Record shmecord, show me core growth.

I don't care about the record, I only care about how the important players play. I'd like to see Risto rebound from an uneven few months, Eichel go on a tear, Reinhart do well at center, and McCabe/Pysyk show some growth. Maybe even Girgensons show some signs of life. If it results in wins that's fine, and if it doesn't, well, that's okay too. Maybe it wouldn't be meaningful for next season, but going something like 5-14 AND having those guys all struggle would be disheartening. Alternatively, going 14-5 on the backs of a Gionta scoring streak while the core pieces continue to struggle wouldn't do much of anything for me. TLDR: Record shmecord, show me core growth.

I like your TLDR Cliff notes. Could you bold them and make them a different color? Thanks.

This is what I am trying to get at. And I think it very well could be meaningful for next season if the kids struggle for this last stretch. If they play well and we lose, ok, fine. But if they play poorly (and our record will probably show it, if so), anyone that thinks it means nothing as long as we've got a Finn coming aboard is kidding themselves.

First priority is the growth of the young players. If that results in wins that affect our draft position, so be it. I can't understand people prioritizing the draft pick this season over the growth of the young players.

What would people rather have - success and significant growth from the kids in the last part of the season, or struggles from the young players accompanied by the addition of a top 3 pick? I know there could possibly be both. But if you had to choose.

This is an easy one. I'll take struggles and a top 3 pick. People learn lessons when they go through adversity and will often be better for it. You don't think Reinhart is a better player now because he struggled in his 9 games last season? Plus you know what will really help them be better players and team? Adding one of the top 3 elite players. You don't think putting a guy like Laine on Eichels wing is going to help him?

This is an easy one. I'll take struggles and a top 3 pick. People learn lessons when they go through adversity and will often be better for it. You don't think Reinhart is a better player now because he struggled in his 9 games last season? Plus you know what will really help them be better players and team? Adding one of the top 3 elite players. You don't think putting a guy like Laine on Eichels wing is going to help him?

Disagree.

Reinhart case from last year is completely different. He hadn't truly arrived yet, he wasn't an NHLer. Jack and Sam have reached a place where real progress is what we need from them now. Struggles aren't a good thing. They can go through adversity (losing a line-mate in McGinn?) and not have to necessarily struggle mightily.

Edited by Thorny

It doesn't matter what we want.   Eichel and Reinhart will be fine no matter how they end the season.    This is tanky lineup, not as bad as last season but much closer than anyone is willing to admit.   If they go 7-11 I think is optimistic they'd finish at 72 points there's a 74% chance they finish in the bottom 3.    I'm OK with that. 

It doesn't matter what we want.   Eichel and Reinhart will be fine no matter how they end the season.    This is tanky lineup, not as bad as last season but much closer than anyone is willing to admit.   If they go 7-11 I think is optimistic they'd finish at 72 points there's a 74% chance they finish in the bottom 3.    I'm OK with that. 

We still have the Leafs and Canadiens 3 more times. IIRC our schedule is very easy

Wait, don't you not want a bottom 5 finish? Avatar bet and all that

Edited by WildCard

DTM about Heart now gives Sabres 3rd best percentage to land one of the big 3

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ccj1K-2XIAEiuWT.jpg:large

We still have the Leafs and Canadiens 3 more times. IIRC our schedule is very easy

Wait, don't you not want a bottom 5 finish? Avatar bet and all that

They just lost to the Oilers on home ice and scored 1 goal. WInning more the 3 of those 6 games will be difficult for them.

DTM? I'm assuming this takes strength of schedule into account?

They just lost to the Oilers on home ice and scored 1 goal. WInning more the 3 of those 6 games will be difficult for them.

With ROR back and Bailey recalled? I think we take 4/6 at least

Edited by WildCard

The roster is OK, IMO.  Not great, maybe not even good yet, but they are (mostly) young and learning on the fly. The roster was not stripped this deadline.

The biggest problem, IMO, is that Disco Dan is not a good coach for the current Sabres.  He may very well be a good coach, but not with this roster.  He really looks out of his element most of the time and when the Sabres win it seems to be in spite of the coach.

The roster is OK, IMO.  Not great, maybe not even good yet, but they are (mostly) young and learning on the fly. The roster was not stripped this deadline.

The biggest problem, IMO, is that Disco Dan is not a good coach for the current Sabres.  He may very well be a good coach, but not with this roster.  He really looks out of his element most of the time and when the Sabres win it seems to be in spite of the coach.

This is my biggest concern as well.  I'd be shocked if they let him go after this year so we're dealing with the same stuff next season as well.

The roster is OK, IMO. Not great, maybe not even good yet, but they are (mostly) young and learning on the fly. The roster was not stripped this deadline.

The biggest problem, IMO, is that Disco Dan is not a good coach for the current Sabres. He may very well be a good coach, but not with this roster. He really looks out of his element most of the time and when the Sabres win it seems to be in spite of the coach.

Well we are missing our best player

DTM? I'm assuming this takes strength of schedule into account?

With ROR back and Bailey recalled? I think we take 4/6 at least

to be honest, I don't know. I've tried to contact him but to no avail. He is followed by Bob McKenzie and Bob has retweeted him a couple of times. So im assuming there is validity to his work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.