GDT: Carolina at Buffalo. 7:00pm EST 11/27/2015

woods-racer

Who was he with tonight? O'Reilly and Reinhart? About as good as you'll get on this roster.

Hate to say it but I'm really not liking Kane's game. Turnovers and no vision. Hopefully he's just shaking off the rust still.

I just think Kane should look to get into prime shooting areas and use his shot more. If he could get consistent feeds in those areas ala Ovechkin on the left slot, he would be a better player

I think Reinhart is every bit as important to this team's future as Eichel and ROR.

100% agree with you. Kids gonna be special, I really believe that.

He can hit, fight, skate and shoot. Not sure if that equals a good player.

Agreed, all the physical qualities, but the mental prowess just seems lacking

My laptop is dead right now and I have no access to the Eichel hulahoop gir. So i am counting on one of you to put it up!

Haven't seen you in the last few GDT's. Quit working so hard and join us in our pathetic yelling  :beer:

He's starting to get ahead of the game. Watch him when his line is in the offensive zone. He's starting to show up to spots ahead of the puck and the puck is starting to "find" him.

Wish I could remember the Carolina D he schooled, as the player retrieved the puck, Sam anticipates where the D was going and beat him to the puck that he had no business getting. Loving his game right now.

Wish I could remember the Carolina D he schooled, as the player retrieved the puck, Sam anticipates where the D was going and beat him to the puck that he had no business getting. Loving his game right now.

Yep.  I also saw him behind the net, pass out to the slot, the shot came into the goalie and rebounded out to the half-wall right were Reinhart was.... like he know that's where the rebound would go.  He's getting equally good at doing that in the defensive zone, although like Eichel, he doesn't always make the right pass once he gets the puck. 

Ennis and Kane are dealing with similar game-play issues. They're both all over the place, laying the heavy when they can, and attempting their respective offensive niches. They both turn over the puck or pass to empty lanes (yes, Ennis passes more, and Kane hits more, I know). Neither are hitting the back of the net with any consistency.

I'm not sure what it means, but it struck me while reading through the posts here. It could mean the system is not allowing them to be who they are, or, perhaps they're not grasping their roles within the system.

Ennis and Kane are playing like Ennis and Kane play when things aren't clicking for them: they work harder and get killed by the blinders that come with that.

Sam Reinhart was the Sabres best player tonight. He's making the adjustment and starting to look like the player I saw in junior. Moulson has to bury that perfect pass.

Interesting we get close to the lines we want and we win, even though they don't exactly look good doing it.

28 82 and 44 is a great energy line and I think the ROR line could be special.

The 2nd line was brutal in our zone tonight and most of that was on Jack. He needs to watch the assertiveness ROR and Girgs play with in our end. His goal, however, was sick.

What if the fourth line was Larsson between Ennis and MCGinn and we roll four lines for a while?

Colaiacovo has been quietly effective. This must be the Bogo they watched in Winnipeg.

Interesting to see that Eddie Lack can't beat out Cam Ward for ice time. Who was it that wanted him for a second?

Nice to be on the right side of a game where one team dominated for two periods and the other scored without really earning it.

Also nice to see we havent quit in the third when things don't go our way the way Carolina did tonight.

Edited by dudacek

One thing that stuck out for me tonight :

We were running around in our own zone A LOT - Lots of times we got hold of the puck, only to lose it again right away.

Very Sabres-of-old-like.

I find this part of their play maddening.  This team has a penchant for getting into games of keep away for long stretches.  And it's not just on the D pairings.  The entire 5 man squad seems to do it.  I can't quite put a finger on what exactly is happening that results in the entire 5 man unit running around, but it strikes me as a simple lack of aggressiveness on the puck in the D zone.  When they started dominating play in the 3rd we stopped seeing the running around.

I think Kane is going to work out OK with ROR and Samson.  He may always look like he's not on the same page, but I expect that his game will result in more room for Samson and ROR to work their magic.  Kane may not like the decrease in stats, but I think his presence will be a net positive for that line.

Samson looks good with ROR.  Very complimentary games I think. 

I find this part of their play maddening.  This team has a penchant for getting into games of keep away for long stretches.  And it's not just on the D pairings.  The entire 5 man squad seems to do it.  I can't quite put a finger on what exactly is happening that results in the entire 5 man unit running around, but it strikes me as a simple lack of aggressiveness on the puck in the D zone.  When they started dominating play in the 3rd we stopped seeing the running around.

I think Kane is going to work out OK with ROR and Samson.  He may always look like he's not on the same page, but I expect that his game will result in more room for Samson and ROR to work their magic.  Kane may not like the decrease in stats, but I think his presence will be a net positive for that line.

Well, that would make sense, but what I saw last night was the Canes having us run around, we'd get the puck, fumble it, lose it immediately, then do the whole running around thing again.

Absolutely infuriating to watch, and against a team that's not the Canes? Probably a certain L.

Edited by Kristian

Ennis and Kane are playing like Ennis and Kane play when things aren't clicking for them: they work harder and get killed by the blinders that come with that.

Sam Reinhart was the Sabres best player tonight. He's making the adjustment and starting to look like the player I saw in junior. Moulson has to bury that perfect pass.

Interesting we get close to the lines we want and we win, even though they don't exactly look good doing it.

28 82 and 44 is a great energy line and I think the ROR line could be special.

The 2nd line was brutal in our zone tonight and most of that was on Jack. He needs to watch the assertiveness ROR and Girgs play with in our end. His goal, however, was sick.

What if the fourth line was Larsson between Ennis and MCGinn and we roll four lines for a while?

Colaiacovo has been quietly effective. This must be the Bogo they watched in Winnipeg.

Interesting to see that Eddie Lack can't beat out Cam Ward for ice time. Who was it that wanted him for a second?

Nice to be on the right side of a game where one team dominated for two periods and the other scored without really earning it.

Also nice to see we havent quit in the third when things don't go our way the way Carolina did tonight.

I concur with all of it.  To be honest, I don't think Lack has been the same with the same team concepts that Peters uses versus what he was familiar with in Vancouver.  I loved the play of Eichel, and Reinhart....I just wish Reinhart got on the tally sheet more reguarly.  I'm quietly shutting up on Colaiacovo, he's been 10x better than Weber who can stay on the IR all season.  More Evander Kane scoring and less Legwand.  It's good to score whoever does, but we need to get some of the guys who will be here possibly through the deadline if not for sure next season into regular routines of scoring :D

I concur with all of it.  To be honest, I don't think Lack has been the same with the same team concepts that Peters uses versus what he was familiar with in Vancouver.  I loved the play of Eichel, and Reinhart....I just wish Reinhart got on the tally sheet more reguarly.  I'm quietly shutting up on Colaiacovo, he's been 10x better than Weber who can stay on the IR all season.  More Evander Kane scoring and less Legwand.  It's good to score whoever does, but we need to get some of the guys who will be here possibly through the deadline if not for sure next season into regular routines of scoring :D

Sam looked really comfortable with ROR.  I suspect the assists will start to pile up if he stays on that line.

Samson is the kind of player that makes the other players on his line look better.  You pair him with ROR who also has that talent, and they look really, really good together.  Not playing Samson last year was brilliance though.  He would have been very frustrated.  Now he's playing with the likes of ROR, Kane and Eichel, none of whom were on the team last year, and it's really helping him elevate his game.

Good.  I think we're going to need your assistance tonight, as well.

I certainly hope so!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.