Coaches Challenge on Offsides

Cage

I dunno, Andrew Peters is ranting about it on WGR right now, if he's against it, that's a pretty good reason to give it a shot. Also, Ennis' skate was a foot off the ice, anyone who thinks we wasn't offsides has the blinders on, I thought he was offsides watching it live, and I'm usually terrible at seeing stuff like that.

I don't love the rule as it is, I'd like to see there be some limit on it. 10 seconds, 30, puck touches a defending player, whatever. But I'd rather see right than "that goal shouldn't have counted, he was offsides".

this^

I really don't care they called back specifically 2 Sabre goals and I realized that when I saw the replay of Ovechkin's stuff.  I was like "really? this is dumb" and it really kills momentum.  All they need to do is say something like offsides can't be reviewed if the play stays in the offensive zone for 10 seconds prior to the goal being scored.  Fixed.

Talk about killing momentum.  Go back to the first time it happened when Kane scored and Girgenson's was offside.  It was a total momentum killer.  We had a lackluster 1st period, went down 2-0, Eichel scores his first ever, the crowd is into it, a few minutes later Kane scores to tie the game, crowd goes nuts.....................................and then 7 minutes of review takes the goal off the board on what most would consider a technicality.  While the Sabres did have time to score another to tie the game.  The reversal was a massive momentum killer

I'm with Andrew Peters: get the linesmen off the ice and make offsides calls from upstairs. More room to operate for the players, no missed offsides, and no coaches challenges. Everybody wins.

How would it ensure 100% accuracy? Upstairs as in the press box right on the blue line?

The problem is that you can go back and check offsides WELL after the play progresses.

You want to get it right? find a way to put sensors into the boards along the blue lines...or have someone make a decision within a couple seconds and buzz down.

The way it is now..it is terrible.  If something is a 'missed call', you have to find a way to correct it within a couple seconds of it occuring. Period.

We have the technology to electronically detect offsides.    This would kill all these plays before they happen.

That would be really hard I think. You could have sensors on either side of the ice, and one in the puck, where a flag is set every time the puck crosses the line and any subsequent object is allowed, but then what? A lot of the time the stick is barely before the puck. 

Another reason to like this rule, we get more hockey to watch. 60 minute games used to be only 60 minutes. Last night's 60 minute game was actually 60 minutes and 21 seconds. Anything that gives us more hockey, I am for.

And We've, all Ennis had to do was curl more along the blue line to not go offside. He would have had just as much speed and probably been in an even better position for a pass.

I think the rule on this should be, you call for a review as soon as it happens. When play stops review it. Don't have some dumb butt idea of calling it only after a goal is scored. Swamp where I have my biggest disagreement with you is either it's an offside review or not. If Ennis in this case doesn't score, they never would have reviewed it, play would have gone on as if nothing happened.

Call for an offside review immediately or live with the consequences. That technology exists today, heck they've used a push button on Jeopardy for years.

We have the technology to electronically detect offsides.    This would kill all these plays before they happen.

Really? You are going to cost effectively come up with an elecronic detection system to identify when all players of the attacking side that DON'T have the puck do not have any portion of either skate on the blueline / in the neutral zone prior to the puck completely crossing the blueline while also allowing for the puck carrier to proceed into the zone ahead of the puck providing he has control of the puck.

I would very much like to see that system.

A combination of cameras and manual observation could be used relatively inexpensively but truly doubt an effective & cost effective fully electronic system can be developed at present. Would be cool if it could.

Really? You are going to cost effectively come up with an elecronic detection system to identify when all players of the attacking side that DON'T have the puck do not have any portion of either skate on the blueline / in the neutral zone prior to the puck completely crossing the blueline while also allowing for the puck carrier to proceed into the zone ahead of the puck providing he has control of the puck.

I would very much like to see that system.

A combination of cameras and manual observation could be used relatively inexpensively but truly doubt an effective & cost effective fully electronic system can be developed at present. Would be cool if it could.

I have no doubt such a system could be built quite easily with readily available technology.    Put a chip in puck with a perimeter sensor to detect when the puck has FULLY crossed the blue line.   You could either build cameras into the boards along the blue line for detection, or better yet just inlay an electronic track pad under the ice.  Put chips in the players skate chassis.  The blade is conductive, so that makes it easy to detect when blade #2 on the player without the puck has completely crossed the line.    There are much smarter people than I who can work out all the details, but there's not doubt it's do-able...   Why not inlay a tracking pad under the entire ice surface, that way you can instantly track the puck anywhere on the ice.    Would it be expensive?  Probably, but we need to start somewhere.

Here is a compromise. The rule stays the same, but a challenge can be only be upheld if the entire body is offsides (both skates if on the ice, one skate if the other leg is in the air).

Anything else is too close to overturn.

Sort of a "Breaking the plane" rule? I like it.

Also, if there is a change of possession.

Here is a compromise. The rule stays the same, but a challenge can be only be upheld if the entire body is offsides (both skates if on the ice, one skate if the other leg is in the air).

That should work. But it could still take them 5 minutes to determine HOW blatent the offsides was. If there is a 30-60 sec time limit on the review, lets run w/ it.

I think the rule on this should be, you call for a review as soon as it happens. When play stops review it. Don't have some dumb butt idea of calling it only after a goal is scored. Swamp where I have my biggest disagreement with you is either it's an offside review or not. If Ennis in this case doesn't score, they never would have reviewed it, play would have gone on as if nothing happened.

Call for an offside review immediately or live with the consequences. That technology exists today, heck they've used a push button on Jeopardy for years.

I'd like to get rid of the rule, but if they won't do that, maybe they can adjust it to make teams think twice about using it. Take away the goal if they get it right, and give a delay of game penalty if they get it wrong. 

I like all of these ideas way better.  If its deemed that at team needs to be able to challenge an offsides then  A) having them do it right away B) putting a consequence to them if they're wrong and C) making sure its overwhelmingly blatant are all good ideas...... but I still think they should just bag the rule

Offsides is offsides, no need to start categorizing it. 

If the Sabres lose a game I want to now that the goal was legit. If they lose and replay shows later the play was offsides I would be pissed. The NHL's coaches challenge is replay done right.  I wish the NFL would expand their coaches challenge system. 

That should work. But it could still take them 5 minutes to determine HOW blatent the offsides was. If there is a 30-60 sec time limit on the review, lets run w/ it.

So, you wouldn't mind if the Sabres lost a game on a bad call as long as it only takes 30-60 seconds to review? 

Length of time of reviews and the "flow of the game" arguments continue to be the most bogus arguments against the replay system.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.