Coaches Challenge on Offsides

Cage

What I'm saying is I don't like the review and maybe have it just in the playoffs or something. Players that may think they were offsides and not called may just pass the puck around for 6 seconds before shooting.

Absolutely they could.  But that gives the opposing team time to get the puck back. The real point of the offsides is to make it so you can't camp out or you can't cheat into the zone.  Right now we are making offsides the biggest call in the game even though in reality like with last nights play, Ennis being in a step ahead of the puck was irrelevant to the outcome of the play.

I think that's probably what I meant, but not sure what term is used for what. If "control" is the same thing that stops play when a penalty is called, then yes.

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalie, is deemed to be in possession of it. So if Player A shoots it in from center ice, he's still in possession of it until an opposing player other than the goalie touches it. Control is defined as the act of propelling the puck with the stick, hands or... uh, something else, I forget... oh yeah, the skates. (#TaroTeeHee #nogoal #dieofebolabettman) So Player A still possesses it but no longer controls it.

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalie, is deemed to be in possession of it. So if Player A shoots it in from center ice, he's still in possession of it until an opposing player other than the goalie touches it. Control is defined as the act of propelling the puck with the stick, hands or... uh, something else, I forget... oh yeah, the skates. (#TaroTeeHee #nogoal #dieofebolabettman) So Player A still possesses it but no longer controls it.

Got it, and yes, that is what I meant.

Wow. I learned somethin' today. I thought I was done doing that.

It's not just the Sabres..  Talk to Ovi

I like the rule.  It just hasn't worked out for the Sabres yet..  It will and all of you will be turning your swords into plowshares

I am torn. Ennis was clearly offside, but the offside had no more to do with the goal than a borderline hook overlooked in the neutral zone two seconds earlier, or a missed hand pass in the Sabres zone five seconds before that.

The NHL is riddled with missed calls and judgement calls and there is real danger that we are starting down a slippery slope of killing the spectacle.

I'd hate to feel the way about the NHL that I do about the NFL, where flags and replays have sucked the joy out of the sport for me.

This is where I am at, and one of the big reasons I don't like the rule, among others. It's not sour grapes, it's the loss of flow and excitement and the momentum killer that results for the team that is punished. Yes, a team is being actively punished for a referee missing the call in the first place.

I'm just saying if we're going to forgive players for making judgment calls in a split second, we should do the same with refs.

Exactly! And if we are prepared to do this, no need for review on offsides! :P

Edited by Thorny

I've been meaning to ask this question.

Team A enters the zone with a player offside, and is able to cycle the puck for say 30 seconds before scoring a goal. But just prior to the goal, a member of team B - in an attempt to clear the zone - commits a penalty. If the goal stands, the penalty is waved off. However, if the goal is disallowed, does the penalty still stand? Had the correct offside call been made initially, no penalty would have occurred. And is the time reset to the regain the 30 seconds lost?

Hate replay crap. It all evens out eventually unless your a conspiracy thinker. Just play the game. If off side isn't picked up by the linesman so be it. We'll win some and lose some. The whole flow of the game is changed by this stuff. Feel the same way about football. My watching enjoyment has not been enhanced one iota by all this replay stuff.

Hate replay crap. It all evens out eventually unless your a conspiracy thinker. Just play the game. If off side isn't picked up by the linesman so be it. We'll win some and lose some. The whole flow of the game is changed by this stuff. Feel the same way about football. My watching enjoyment has not been enhanced one iota by all this replay stuff.

The only benefit to replay in football is it gives the league an extra commercial break to sell crap and you and extra chance to grab a brew. :beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.