Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

See, this is what happens when you assume things. I'll be honest: I've never actually seen Mean Girls, it just struck me as something that would underscore how much I hated Groundhog Day. I've learned my lesson. From now on when I make disparaging comparisons, I will only do so using movies I know are crappy.

I didn't hate that movie. Didn't love it, but it fell far short of eliciting a truly visceral emotional response from me. Frankly, most movies are like that to me--I have varying levels of like/dislike, but I'm rarely head over heels for a movie nor hateful. I hated Groundhog Day like I hate the Patriots and Tom Brady.

See, this is what happens when you assume things. I'll be honest: I've never actually seen Mean Girls, it just struck me as something that would underscore how much I hated Groundhog Day. I've learned my lesson. From now on when I make disparaging comparisons, I will only do so using movies I know are crappy.

Just cuz they like it doesn't mean it isn't crappy.

You shuttup.

Wait, what? You speculated or guessed or assumed that Mean Girls was bad? You didn't verify that first? I feel so good that today the truth won out -- again. DIE,  LIES, DIE!!!!!

When in doubt, just stick to anything that included Rob Schneider

Avatar isn't a bad movie, it was just inconsequential. Aside from it's effect on the continued emergence of 3D in movies today.

When in doubt, just stick to anything that included Rob Schneider

Avatar isn't a bad movie, it was just inconsequential. Aside from it's effect on the continued emergence of 3D in movies today.

Unless you're talking about Shamalamadingdong's b@stardization of Avatar: The Last Airbender. 

Unless you're talking about Shamalamadingdong's b@stardization of Avatar: The Last Airbender. 

I have a friend who is/was super into the television series, and was pretty much distraught with the film treatment that it received. Felt kinda bad for him as he was looking forward to it. 6% on Rotten Tomatoes = ouch.

I didn't hate that movie. Didn't love it, but it fell far short of eliciting a truly visceral emotional response from me. Frankly, most movies are like that to me--I have varying levels of like/dislike, but I'm rarely head over heels for a movie nor hateful. I hated Groundhog Day like I hate the Patriots and Tom Brady.

See, that's my Avatar. Holy hell do I loath that movie, hands down my most hated movie. I didn't need 3 ###### hours of in your face symbolism to understand the analogy here. FFS the rock they have is called 'unobtainium' I mean, ###### me. Why do you hate Groundhog Day so much?

Oh and the adaptation of The Martian and Eragaon were both shameful. At least The Martian was a good film

Edited by WildCard

I have a friend who is/was super into the television series, and was pretty much distraught with the film treatment that it received. Felt kinda bad for him as he was looking forward to it. 6% on Rotten Tomatoes = ouch.

Yeah, the series is really good stuff. I even got past my irrational hatred of anime and fell in love with it. I've done work on games for Legend of Korra since... also good. 

That movie though... Oh my good god. I've only watched part of it. I can't do it unless it's a snarky review a la Nostalgia Critic. 

No, worst movie ever award goes to Christmas With The Kranks for me. What an unholy piece of garbage. God I hope no one else here has had to see that terrible excuse for a movie. 

See, that's my Avatar. Holy hell do I loath that movie, hands down my most hated movie. I didn't need 3 ###### hours of in your face symbolism to understand the analogy here. FFS the rock they have is called 'unobtainium' I mean, ###### me. Why do you hate Groundhog Day so much?

Oh and the adaptation of The Martian and Eragaon were both shameful. At least The Martian was a good film

I had issue with Eragon as a book, the movie certainly didn't help.

Yeah, the series is really good stuff. I even got past my irrational hatred of anime and fell in love with it. I've done work on games for Legend of Korra since... also good. 

That movie though... Oh my good god. I've only watched part of it. I can't do it unless it's a snarky review a la Nostalgia Critic. 

No, worst movie ever award goes to Christmas With The Kranks for me. What an unholy piece of garbage. God I hope no one else here has had to see that terrible excuse for a movie. 

I've seen that and yes, it is just as terrible as you describe. It doesn't even make any sense

I had issue with Eragon as a book, the movie certainly didn't help.

Hmmmm...I'm listening

This is really cool. I'm not a huge gamer, but I bet my Airbender friend has played any games related, which ones did you work on?

Christmas With The Kranks was horrible and I am sad to say I saw it in theaters. I see a lot of movies. The worst part of that movie is it acts like it's a heartwarming classic towards the end. It was cringe-worthy.

As for worst movies, one of my all-time worst movie selections is Cosmopolis. It's a Cronenberg movie, and I generally really like his stuff. But I thought Cosmopolis was insufferably pretentious, meaningless, and rambly. It felt incredibly self-important and I nearly walked out of the theater.

I've seen that and yes, it is just as terrible as you describe. It doesn't even make any sense

Hmmmm...I'm listening

The book had some interesting ideas, but too much of it was cliche. I don't blame the author since he was like 16 when he wrote it, but it read like a fantasy novel a 16-year-old would write. By time I got to the third book, I was ready for the series to wrap up, only to see an interview that he decided to expand the (wooden) character's development into an entire extra book. At the time, the fourth book wasn't out and I didn't bother to get it. Some years later, I thought about it and checked the last book out of the library (ebook!) and read it. The one really redeeming quality of the story is that whats-his-face didn't end up happily-ever-after with whats-her-elf; I'm guessing twenty-something author had gone through some heartbreak and was feeling angsty that day.

The book had some interesting ideas, but too much of it was cliche. I don't blame the author since he was like 16 when he wrote it, but it read like a fantasy novel a 16-year-old would write. By time I got to the third book, I was ready for the series to wrap up, only to see an interview that he decided to expand the (wooden) character's development into an entire extra book. At the time, the fourth book wasn't out and I didn't bother to get it. Some years later, I thought about it and checked the last book out of the library (ebook!) and read it. The one really redeeming quality of the story is that whats-his-face didn't end up happily-ever-after with whats-her-elf; I'm guessing twenty-something author had gone through some heartbreak and was feeling angsty that day.

I read it when I was around 16/17, so I loved it. That last book though, that was just terrible. So much build up, and he kills the dude with love. The damn thing literally ended just like the LOTR

I read it when I was around 16/17, so I loved it. That last book though, that was just terrible. So much build up, and he kills the dude with love. The damn thing literally ended just like the LOTR

I was thinking that if I were the right age, it would have been better received. :) Also, there's a fair bit of Luke Skywalker's spiritual journey in there if I remember right.

EDIT: no, there's a LOT of Luke Skywalker in there. I'm not saying Star Wars invented that progression, but: young kid finds crazy old mentor. Mentor dies saving kid. Kid goes to train with new, crazy mentor, but leaves early to save his friends. Kid is all but lost to big, bad, evil until love swings the conflict the other way.

(note, I still haven't seen NuStar Wars, please don't spoil it. This week, I promise! :)

Edited by MattPie

This is really cool. I'm not a huge gamer, but I bet my Airbender friend has played any games related, which ones did you work on?

Christmas With The Kranks was horrible and I am sad to say I saw it in theaters. I see a lot of movies. The worst part of that movie is it acts like it's a heartwarming classic towards the end. It was cringe-worthy.

As for worst movies, one of my all-time worst movie selections is Cosmopolis. It's a Cronenberg movie, and I generally really like his stuff. But I thought Cosmopolis was insufferably pretentious, meaningless, and rambly. It felt incredibly self-important and I nearly walked out of the theater.

Nothing big, some stuff on nick.com. I think most of the Korra games were done by us. I helped animate her in a couple multi property fighting games there, too.

Yeah, I saw Kranks in the theater as well. My friends dragged me. They honestly found most of it funny. I found myself judging them harshly and wondering if I just had no sense of humor. So cringy. So uncomfortable. Mean spirited and stupid. Ugh. 

Nothing big, some stuff on nick.com. I think most of the Korra games were done by us. I helped animate her in a couple multi property fighting games there, too.

Yeah, I saw Kranks in the theater as well. My friends dragged me. They honestly found most of it funny. I found myself judging them harshly and wondering if I just had no sense of humor. So cringy. So uncomfortable. Mean spirited and stupid. Ugh. 

Pretty sweet!

And ya, everyone I saw it with hated it and I've never met someone that actually liked it, so I'm surprised to hear the people you saw it with did :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.