Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

I'm not a big sci-fi, action/adventure film guy. But since The Martian was nominated for a freakin' Academy Award, I decided to check it out. It was fine. Good. Fun. Eye candy. But is that was passes for Oscar material? And Matt Damon was even nominated for best actor?! I won't begrudge it the nominations for sound editing, special effects and the like. Truly remarkable. But there really was no story, no character development, IMHO. At the end, the astronaut was still Matt Damon. I don't even know who Mark Watney is.I didn't care if he lived or died. I really didn't. Why should I have?

I want to see Room.

I'm not a big sci-fi, action/adventure film guy. But since The Martian was nominated for a freakin' Academy Award, I decided to check it out. It was fine. Good. Fun. Eye candy. But is that was passes for Oscar material? And Matt Damon was even nominated for best actor?! I won't begrudge it the nominations for sound editing, special effects and the like. Truly remarkable. But there really was no story, no character development, IMHO. At the end, the astronaut was still Matt Damon. I don't even know who Mark Watney is.I didn't care if he lived or died. I really didn't. Why should I have?

I want to see Room.

You should watch The Room. By Tommy Wiseau.

FTR I mostly agree on The Martian.

Lots of movies I have to catch up on. The Martian, Room, Spotlight and Deadpool.

Also, has anybody mastered the art of looking dumbfounded as much as Forrest Whitaker has?

Spotlight was my favorite movie of last year. Acting was superb. Mark Ruffalo in particular was fantastic. Highly recommend. Deadpool was the funniest marvel move so far. Martian and Room I recommend too, but I think both are slightly overrated.

Maybe it's the wonky eye

:ph34r: :blink:

Best role? Phone Booth.

You should watch The Room. By Tommy Wiseau.

FTR I mostly agree on The Martian.

Spotlight was my favorite movie of last year. Acting was superb. Mark Ruffalo in particular was fantastic. Highly recommend. Deadpool was the funniest marvel move so far. Martian and Room I recommend too, but I think both are slightly overrated.

Best role? Phone Booth.

Please it Fast Times Ridgmont High :D

I had to stop midway through Room and remind myself that this little kid was acting. Amazing performance by Jacob Tremblay.

Yup, should be good things ahead for him. Amazing talent.

So true. If you dare to watch this movie, you'll have a better understanding of how hard it is to make a good movie...or a horrible one for that matter!

And when you read up on Wikipedia about how that movie was made and the stuff that happened in production, it just adds to the whole thing.

The thing about it that makes it so great is, he's entirely serious. He thinks this stuff is very good 

That's entirely the key. At least at the time he made The Room, he was not self-aware. It was just his best attempt at making an involving drama with depth of character.

• 1 month later...

I just watched 2 movies for the first time.

Rushmore [1996] (directed by Wes Anderson)

Wes Anderson's style is there, but its not as pervasive as in his later films.  My girlfriend said she liked this movie because it didn't feel like she was getting hit by the Wes Anderson fish the whole time.  I actually wanted more Wes Anderson fish.  If you're wondering what I mean, here's a scene with much Wes Anderson fish (the quick camera moves juxtaposed with long steady shots):

(slight Darjeeling Limited spoilers)

Rushmore was a sweet film, but it wasn't very well paced.  Even though it only runs 90 minutes this movie feels looooonnnnnnggg.  It's a nice mix of funny and sad, but with not a lot of punch.  Bill Murray's character is probably my favorite.  He's so silent and so sad, he just says so much without saying anything.  I love Bill Murray.  I was sick of seeing Jason Schwartzman's stupid face by the end of the movie, though.  That guy aged well, as his face isn't even stupid anymore.

Clerks [1994] (directed by Kevin Smith)

Not just a "stoner flick."  Kevin Smith creates such a vibrant world populated with movie opinions and dealing with annoying customers.  There's such a wide variety of personalities featured, but the two main ones (Dante and Randall) drive the whole damn thing.  Despite having no central plot, Clerks manages to be super focused and ends up saying a lot more than most movies ever dream of.  This movie is about mental health and feeling paralyzed by life.  It's about escapism and the things we automatically tell ourselves without thinking about it.  I remember being super kind to the Revanant when it first game out, but this movie has so so so so so so much more to say than the Revanant could ever dream of.

AAAAANND, I seem to remember a few people that didn't think Mad Max: Fury Road was a masterpiece.  I'm laying in bed with my wisdom teeth out all weekend, so I'll throw down on why Mad Max is one of the best action films of all time (AND also has much more to say than the Revanant).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.