Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

You just watched Clerks for the first time??? That movie is a masterpiece! The Star Wars conversation and 'Don't suck any on the way there!' are the best parts.

I always found Clerks to be much more relatable if you've worked a job like that; a real small store, local owner, where you know all the customers and you just dick around all day with the guy who works next door. I have that exact job, except it's not a gas station. My 7 years working there are exactly like Clerks 

If you have kids or are simply into family movies, go see Zootopia. It was a great movie. Had jokes for people of all ages. Fun, interesting story to follow. Ha Even made a reference to Breaking Bad. 

Zootopia was excellent! Jason Bateman was perfect as the voice of the fox.  I can't not think of him as a D-bag because of arrested development, but this might be the best Jason Bateman has ever been (excluding his part as the commentator in Dodgeball).  I just can't help but not want to trust him based on his voice, and the movie plays around with that.

Zootopia is to discrimination and stereotypes as Inside Out is to mental health.  This is a kid's movie with a whole lot of movie in it.  The plot feels more like an 80s buddy cop film than any disney movie. Honestly, the main character does have a lot in common with Axel Foley from Beverly Hills Cop.  Super fun for adults and kids alike.

You just watched Clerks for the first time??? That movie is a masterpiece! The Star Wars conversation and 'Don't suck any ###### on the way there!' are the best parts.

I always found Clerks to be much more relatable if you've worked a job like that; a real small store, local owner, where you know all the customers and you just dick around all day with the guy who works next door. I have that exact job, except it's not a gas station. My 7 years working there are exactly like Clerks 

I didn't realize how much I wanted to hear Randall tell it like it is.  And how much I wanted Dante to hear it.  

The Jay and Silent Bob dancing scenes are amazing also.

I highly recommend Clerks 2, qwk. Not as good, but still very funny

I actually did see it when I was 12 or something.  I'm not sure I'd watch it again after seeing the first Clerks.  I'd never forgive it for being nowhere near as good.

I just watched 2 movies for the first time.

Rushmore [1996] (directed by Wes Anderson)

Wes Anderson's style is there, but its not as pervasive as in his later films.  My girlfriend said she liked this movie because it didn't feel like she was getting hit by the Wes Anderson fish the whole time.  I actually wanted more Wes Anderson fish.  If you're wondering what I mean, here's a scene with much Wes Anderson fish (the quick camera moves juxtaposed with long steady shots):

(slight Darjeeling Limited spoilers)

Rushmore was a sweet film, but it wasn't very well paced.  Even though it only runs 90 minutes this movie feels looooonnnnnnggg.  It's a nice mix of funny and sad, but with not a lot of punch.  Bill Murray's character is probably my favorite.  He's so silent and so sad, he just says so much without saying anything.  I love Bill Murray.  I was sick of seeing Jason Schwartzman's stupid face by the end of the movie, though.  That guy aged well, as his face isn't even stupid anymore.

Clerks [1994] (directed by Kevin Smith)

Not just a "stoner flick."  Kevin Smith creates such a vibrant world populated with movie opinions and dealing with annoying customers.  There's such a wide variety of personalities featured, but the two main ones (Dante and Randall) drive the whole damn thing.  Despite having no central plot, Clerks manages to be super focused and ends up saying a lot more than most movies ever dream of.  This movie is about mental health and feeling paralyzed by life.  It's about escapism and the things we automatically tell ourselves without thinking about it.  I remember being super kind to the Revanant when it first game out, but this movie has so so so so so so much more to say than the Revanant could ever dream of.

AAAAANND, I seem to remember a few people that didn't think Mad Max: Fury Road was a masterpiece.  I'm laying in bed with my wisdom teeth out all weekend, so I'll throw down on why Mad Max is one of the best action films of all time (AND also has much more to say than the Revanant).

If you like Wes Anderson, I recommend "Royal Tenenbaums."

I was one of the Mad-Max-was-just-OK group (there were only a few of us, IIRC).

My top 4 action movies of all time:

1.  The Terminator (the first one)

2.  Speed

3.  Broken Arrow

4.  Total Recall (the one with Arnold)

Of course, YMMV.

Clerks brought back a lot of memories of working for Best Buy.  Those customers who will talk at your for no reason, the meticulous customers looking in the wrong place, and the customers that have the rage.  Hahaha oh man do I not miss it.

Speed (I LOVE KEANU REEVES) is currently on my list, as is Royal Tenenbaums.

I've never heard of Broken Arrow, but it was written by Graham Yost who also wrote Speed, Justified (the tv show), and one of the episodes of Band of Brothers.  I am intrigued.

I've never heard of Broken Arrow, but it was written by Graham Yost who also wrote Speed, Justified (the tv show), and one of the episodes of Band of Brothers.  I am intrigued.

And starring a shortly-after-Pulp-Fiction John Travolta in a great villain role, plus Christian Slater, and directed by John Woo.  It was really good.

And starring a shortly-after-Pulp-Fiction John Travolta in a great villain role, plus Christian Slater, and directed by John Woo.  It was really good.

The only thing I really remember from that movie (I think it was that one) is Travolta had music that they'd play every time he came on screen.

I didn't like the Rock or Face off (which was also directed by John Woo, so I was kinda disappointed), although both had some good scenes.

Another excellent under the radar action movie was Ronin (the one with De Niro) and a notch below but still enjoyable was Predator.

Aliens. Greatest action movie of all time.

I liked it but didn't love it. I think I liked Prometheus better. Maybe avatar too, although that was kinda corny.

I didn't like the Rock or Face off (which was also directed by John Woo, so I was kinda disappointed), although both had some good scenes.

Another excellent under the radar action movie was Ronin (the one with De Niro) and a notch below but still enjoyable was Predator.

I liked it but didn't love it. I think I liked Prometheus better. Maybe avatar too, although that was kinda corny.

Ronin is my all time #1 action movie.  #2 isn't even close.  I can't decide what #2 would be.  Lots of contenders.  But Ronin tops them.

Didn't like The Rock? I honestly think you're the first action movie fan I've seen not like it. That movie was great!

Didn't like The Rock?? Whaaaaaaat? OK, to each their own.

Prometheus, better than Aliens? We may have to fight!

This should settle it. Where do you stand on Terminator 2's awesomeness? Totally awesome, or just plain awesome?

Edited by ubkev

Zootopia was excellent! Jason Bateman was perfect as the voice of the fox. I can't not think of him as a D-bag because of arrested development, but this might be the best Jason Bateman has ever been (excluding his part as the commentator in Dodgeball).

I always viewed him as the lovable cynical voice of reason. I'm guessing due to your age you watched the show through Michael Sera's eyes. Interesting...

Didn't like The Rock? I honestly think you're the first action movie fan I've seen not like it. That movie was great!

Didn't like The Rock?? Whaaaaaaat? OK, to each their own.

Prometheus, better than Aliens? We may have to fight!

This should settle it. Where do you stand on Terminator 2's awesomeness? Totally awesome, or just plain awesome?

Regarding the Rock -- I'm not a fan of Michael Bay's, although as I mentioned above his movies certainly include some good action scenes.

Aliens was good.  I just think it's a bit overrated.  And I really liked Prometheus.  But it's a close call IMHO.

As for T2 -- also good, but too long and corny in parts (e.g. Arnold going "Now I understand why you cry"), whereas T1 was pretty much perfect IMHO.

I always viewed him as the lovable cynical voice of reason. I'm guessing due to your age you watched the show through Michael Sera's eyes. Interesting...

He's the voice of reason, and he truly believes that he's the best guy/dad in the world. And he's only slightly better than his siblings. He really does deserve Gob.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.