Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

Decent first episode. Next one is tomorrow at 8. I expect they'll pick up steam as they go along. There was a lot to fit into the first episode.

the x-files theme music is possibly the best tv has offered.

Trivia: Dan Auerbach bought the keyboard Mark Snow used to record the X-Files theme. They used it on the last Black Keys album.

Decent first episode. Next one is tomorrow at 8. I expect they'll pick up steam as they go along. There was a lot to fit into the first episode.

Trivia: Dan Auerbach bought the keyboard Mark Snow used to record the X-Files theme. They used it on the last Black Keys album.

the truth really is out there....

This this X-Files is good X-Files.

Got that right.

Chris Carter has said if things go well the X-Files series could continue. He and the crew have expressed their desire to do so. Have my fingers crossed. 

Chris Carter also spoke of making a third X-Files movie, but he stressed the budget would have to be high enough. Carter said the budget for the second movie was far too low and it held the movie back. More or less said Fox can make a third movie, but he'll only be involved if the movie is close to what the first X-Files movie had. 

Edited by GoPre

They made a surprise sequel to Cloverfield and attached the trailer to 13 Hours.  It comes out in less than 2 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy-ANhnUpE

Had no idea something this awesome was in the works.  Maybe just became my most anticipated movie of 2016.  Please, please, please let this be even half of what the original was.

Shut up and take my money, Hollywood.

I feel like that's a good example of a trailer that makes you want to see the movie, instead of thinking, "Hmmm, now I don't have to see that movie."

Benghazi, tonight .... If you've not put me on ignore already, you have about 5 hours ...

This is a public service announcement.

I saw the film. See it. I'll have no political comments. The heroes deserve better than me. Awesome ...

I started watching the X-Files (the first season).  David Duchovny is such a little baby man!  I really liked the The Thing Episode (Ice (season 1 episode 8)). All the myth episodes are great, especially the one that ends with Fox talking about his sister's abduction.

"The voice told me that she wouldn't be harmed, and that she'd be returned to Earth."

"Do you believe that?"

"I want to believe..."

I started watching the X-Files (the first season). David Duchovny is such a little baby man! I really liked the The Thing Episode (Ice (season 1 episode 8)). All the myth episodes are great, especially the one that ends with Fox talking about his sister's abduction.

"The voice told me that she wouldn't be harmed, and that she'd be returned to Earth."

"Do you believe that?"

"I want to believe..."

Did you ever catch any of them when you were younger or is this your first time going through the series?

Here's a question: my wife and I are considering starting "Lost" as our new Netflix binge-watch. I've never seen a single episode. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

Thanks.

My girlfriend binged watched the entire thing and loved it. She said it kept her interested in the characters and their stories. Can't speak to that myself as I was too busy watching a mix of sports, Workaholics, and old movies.

The first two seasons of Lost are very good TV, but the show does not follow through on its mission statement. It starts with very strong sci-fi mystery elements, which are mostly dropped in favor of being "about the characters" like BBC's Sherlock. It was pretty clear that they had no plan.

I would give it a pass.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Here's a question: my wife and I are considering starting "Lost" as our new Netflix binge-watch. I've never seen a single episode. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

Thanks.

We loved it. The issue some people have is that the original story arc was not meant to last more than 2 (possibly 3) seasons. However, it was so successful, they needed to draw out the story. Most episodes were great, but the occasional fillers can be easily spotted. The value of the series though was really in the after episode discussion as the series is filled with symbolism and objects in search of explanation. Binge watching it alone (without friends and the internet talking about it) loses that aspect. You could read for hours and hours on end about all the theories and symbolism in the episodes.

So, I thought it was great, but we watched it in real time. You will lose something if you don't look for discussions as you watch...

The Walk, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the tightrope walker who walked between the Twin Towers in 1974, is the first movie I've ever seen that required a change of socks afterwards. My hands sweated too. I felt this one physically, even though I knew he wasn't going to fall. I even got a little lightheaded at times. Incredible cinematography and special effects and a solid story line.

'The Imitation Game': chronicles Alan Turring's work on the German's Enigma machine in WW2. A great movie, though it's a little off putting on how inaccurate it is. Turring is not autistic, as they make him out to be. They completely omit his primary coworker. And there's some garbage about spies and MI6 that never happens. Other than that, really enjoyable movie.

'That Awkward Moment': Kinda a dude's chick-flick, if that makes sense. 3 guys vow to stay single and, surprise, each finds a girlfriend. I found the movie hilarious though. Worth a shot 

'Narcos': Easy 'A'. Suck it up and read subtitles, this show is worth it. The actor who plays Pablo Escobar is very well cast, and it's more of a semi-documentary than anything. Really great show

The Walk, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the tightrope walker who walked between the Twin Towers in 1974, is the first movie I've ever seen that required a change of socks afterwards. My hands sweated too. I felt this one physically, even though I knew he wasn't going to fall. I even got a little lightheaded at times. Incredible cinematography and special effects and a solid story line.

Yes yes I really wanted to see this one on the big screen but I missed it for some reason. Will have to check it out on blu-ray/on demand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.