Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

Anyone else watching Gotham this season? I liked season 1 but season 2, particularly the second half, had been really good. They are telling a more cohesive story, and David Mazouz has really come into his own as the young Bruce Wayne.

Anyone else watching Gotham this season? I liked season 1 but season 2, particularly the second half, had been really good. They are telling a more cohesive story, and David Mazouz has really come into his own as the young Bruce Wayne.

2nd last episode was kind of lame, but necessary to set up this last one.

Definitely hope it gets renewed. Even though there are too many good shows on now. (Gotham, Saul, Americans, & hoping there's a 3rd season of Fargo. )

2nd last episode was kind of lame, but necessary to set up this last one.

Definitely hope it gets renewed. Even though there are too many good shows on now. (Gotham, Saul, Americans, & hoping there's a 3rd season of Fargo. )

It was recently announced that Gotham has been renewed for a third season. So good news, there. I think there are 2 episodes left this season? Should finish strong.

Edit: And darn, no new episode this week. Final 2 of season on May 2 and 9th.

Edited by Thorny

It was recently announced that Gotham has been renewed for a third season. So good news, there. I think there are 2 episodes left this season? Should finish strong.

Edit: And darn, no new episode this week. Final 2 of season on May 2 and 9th.

Love the show, agreed that Bruce is coming along quite nicely. I like how he's dipping his toe into the underground, getting down to the criminal level.

Love the show, agreed that Bruce is coming along quite nicely. I like how he's dipping his toe into the underground, getting down to the criminal level.

Yup, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the young actor's ability to handle the increased depth the role is requiring.

• 1 month later...

I know it's not the fall of 2015 or the winter of 2016 anymore but it is movie related.

I just had the pleasure of some childhood nostalgia. I picked up The Legend of Billie Jean the other day on amazon. I don't think I've seen that movie since I was 12 years old. It's still great. Total 80s teen movie. It has an anthem and everything. A totally awesome anthem (thanks Pat Benetar).

It made my day when I found the DVD for 5 bucks, and it made my night watching it. I'm willing to bet an extremely small percentage of the SS population has ever seen this film. It's 80s gold.

I have been surprised by network tv shows lately, namely Gotham and The Blacklist.

James Spader has been incredible in The Blacklist and this season was one of the better seasons of network television I've ever watched. I don't consider it to be procedural since they carry storylines for so many episodes and the deeper mystery of what's going on is always apparent as opposed to getting shoved to the back burner for extended periods.

AND their best episode yet took place when they did something network tv RARELY does. They had an episode where they exclusively focused on the psyche of Spader's character Reddungton. The entire episode was focused on him and did little to advance any aspect of the storyline other than to highlight the show's best character. Cool stuff.

Gotham is fun. It's got the cheesy parts a comic book adaptation should and has enough interesting characters to carry it for a long time. I'll be interested in what the end-game is for the show. I doubt the ratings are good enough to carry it into a full transition for a Batman show, but I wonder where they'll end it. With young Bruce's first time putting on the suit?

The reboot of Ghostbusters will about next month. Right now it is receiving a lot of negative publicity. But at the same time it is receiving far more publicity than an average summer comedy. And that publicity is free. Movie could possibly do better than originally expected. Look at The Interview. Terrible movie, but people wanted to watch it because it was removed from theaters due to North Korea's cyber attack. 

Let me add I'm a huge fan of the original Ghostbusters, so I have no interests in this reboot. 

Edited by GoPre

I imagine The Revenant has been discussed. I don't mean to rail on it. Spectacular cinematography. The special effects work to create the scene with the grizzly, I can't even imagine. I just had too many eye roll moments. The Indians are dead eye with their arrows, but they can't hit this guy at close range when they were on horseback, then he rides the horse over the abysss, lands in a tree and falls into the snow and — it's a like a cartoon, he bounces back up. I really didn't understand the idea of vengeance either, not in the context of frontier justice and survivalism. The boy should have been, needed to be gutted. I honestly didn't think the Tom Hardy character did anything wrong, so the plot kind of let me scratching my head.

I imagine The Revenant has been discussed. I don't mean to rail on it. Spectacular cinematography. The special effects work to create the scene with the grizzly, I can't even imagine. I just had too many eye roll moments. The Indians are dead eye with their arrows, but they can't hit this guy at close range when they were on horseback, then he rides the horse over the abysss, lands in a tree and falls into the snow and — it's a like a cartoon, he bounces back up. I really didn't understand the idea of vengeance either, not in the context of frontier justice and survivalism. The boy should have been, needed to be gutted. I honestly didn't think the Tom Hardy character did anything wrong, so the plot kind of let me scratching my head.

I liked the Revenant, but my wife did not.  She inflicted some payback last weekend when we saw "The Lobster."

As for the bolded -- I thought that scene was incredible, especially the part when the Indians (and it was great to see Lizzie Warren's grandpa in his glory days, innit?) were all around him.  I felt like I was in the scene.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw the Revanant I was amazed. It's a truly beautiful movie, and I thought it had a lot to say about theology and the nature of nature.

But the more I think about it, the less I think that it was actually about anything.

Leo should've won his first oscar for the Wolf of Wall St.

Edited by qwksndmonster

When I saw the Revanant I was amazed. It's a truly beautiful movie, and I thought it had a lot to say about theology and the nature of nature.

But the more I think about it, the less I think that it was actually about anything.

Leo should've won his first oscar for the Wolf of Wall St.

Did you like that movie?  I thought it was pretty lousy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.