Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

Well, technically he exists. But he's long dead, he dies shortly after the battle you see referenced near the beginning of Hobbit 1. His son, Bolg, is the main villain Orc in the book, and he's still there in the movie. They basically just have two main villain orcs rather than one.

Anways, I still like the Hobbit movies, due mainly to Martin Freeman's spot on performance as Bilbo.

He's mentioned once in the book the orc who killed Thror. I googled this to make sure I wasn't misremembering his lack of existence in the book.

Tauriel and Legolas also aren't in the books, AT ALL.

This does a good job of breaking down the difference: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/the-hobbit-changes_n_6331340.html

To be fair, I think the films' biggest crimes is that they are "films" and not "film."

Edited by Hoss

He's mentioned once in the book the orc who killed Thror. I googled this to make sure I wasn't misremembering his lack of existence in the book.

Tauriel and Legolas also aren't in the books, AT ALL.

This does a good job of breaking down the difference: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/the-hobbit-changes_n_6331340.html

To be fair, I think the films' biggest crimes is that they are "films" and not "film."

Ya, you have it right. Was just mentioning that he's not a made up character. While only mentioned in the book, he does indeed fight in the battle that is shown in flashback in An Unexpected Journey. It's where we see him kill Thror.

To be fair on Legolas, Tolkien has said that he WOULD have been there, had he known where the future story was going when he wrote The Hobbit. He hadn't invented the character yet at the time, but within his created history Legolas most definitely would have been living in Mirkwood at the time of the events of The Hobbit.

In fact, at the time when Tolkien wrote the Hobbit, King Thranduil in Mirkwood wasn't even mentioned by name. Didn't invent the name until around the time of writing LOTR.

Edited by Thorny

It's not very good but Louis CK is one of the creators so I'm hoping it improves. Right now the best part of the show in that Zack Galifinakis's Mom is played by Louie Anderson.

A week ago, I would have bet someone a million dollars that Louie Anderson was dead.

Not a series guy.  Need some ideas for movies for a frigid weekend.  Gimme yer best of what's available on Netflix right now.....

Narcos. Do it

It's not very good but Louis CK is one of the creators so I'm hoping it improves. Right now the best part of the show in that Zack Galifinakis's Mom is played by Louie Anderson.

I should watch CK's show sometime. I hear it's amazing 

Not a series guy.  Need some ideas for movies for a frigid weekend.  Gimme yer best of what's available on Netflix right now.....

The Bills 30 for 30 (I haven't watched this yet, but it should be mentioned)

I like these, but they may be a bit slow for some people.

Europa Report

Stardust

Into the White

The Wipers Times

Rounders

:huh:

Well, yeah, there's some of that in there. And some dude with a 3rd leg, but that's beside the point; he just walks around all movie. It was great up to where I stopped, and Idris Elba was awesome, but Idk, couldn't do it. Which is weird because I've seen that in movies before and didn't have a problem continuing. I think it's because it happened to a kid

Well, yeah, there's some of that in there. And some dude with a 3rd leg, but that's beside the point; he just walks around all movie. It was great up to where I stopped, and Idris Elba was awesome, but Idk, couldn't do it. Which is weird because I've seen that in movies before and didn't have a problem continuing. I think it's because it happened to a kid

Awesome, but emotionally heavy, for me. Save the kids!

Brutal, gripping, intense...and to call it "uncomfortable" would be an understatement. I felt emotionally run through a ringer by the time it was over, and I'm simply not the type that gets that into movies. And I honestly don't think I'd ever watch it again. But man was it great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.