Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

They made a surprise sequel to Cloverfield and attached the trailer to 13 Hours. It comes out in less than 2 months.

Had no idea something this awesome was in the works. Maybe just became my most anticipated movie of 2016. Please, please, please let this be even half of what the original was.

Shut up and take my money, Hollywood.

My first reaction was "this is obviously a prequel" but then I watched the rest. This could be really cool. Love me some John Goodman.

I recently saw H8ful Ate, The Forest, and The Revenant.

H8ful ate was very meh. I love pretty much every other Tarantino film but this one felt like he was just going by the numbers to make another movie. It was a period film (1868 in the West) shot like a western. The first 45 minutes had me super excited but it quickly fizzled out. The climax was very boring to me. Without Walton Goggins there would've been very little to keep me in my seat.

The Forest was okay. Just a pretty good horror film, nothing more. Nat Dormer displayed her chops and: she's a good actress. GoT criminally underutilizes her. The movie needed more focus, especially more visual unity between the beginning and end. There weren't any overlying themes or visual metaphors, and this film was just begging for it.

The Revenant was amazing. Best use of nature in a film that I've ever seen. This movie is about a guy in 1823, nature, life, and whether or not we even deserve it. One of my favorite movies of the year along with Fury Road.

H8ful ate was very meh. I love pretty much every other Tarantino film but this one felt like he was just going by the numbers to make another movie. It was a period film (1868 in the West) shot like a western. The first 45 minutes had me super excited but it quickly fizzled out. The climax was very boring to me. Without Walton Goggins there would've been very little to keep me in my seat.

The Forest was okay. Just a pretty good horror film, nothing more. Nat Dormer displayed her chops and: she's a good actress. GoT criminally underutilizes her. The movie needed more focus, especially more visual unity between the beginning and end. There weren't any overlying themes or visual metaphors, and this film was just begging for it.

The Revenant was amazing. Best use of nature in a film that I've ever seen. This movie is about a guy in 1823, nature, life, and whether or not we even deserve it. One of my favorite movies of the year along with Fury Road.

You hit Hateful Eight right on the head. It's a reason to eat some popcorn, not much more. 

Started watching Jessica Jones on NetFlix. Three episodes in, I'm not sure how I feel at this point. 

Finally saw Mad Max. I'll be honest, I don't get the hype. It was a fun action movie with really impressive visual moments. But best picture caliber? Maybe I was too hyped going in, but the awesomeness escapes me.

It was just OK.  Visually impressive, I'll give it that.

Finally saw Mad Max. I'll be honest, I don't get the hype. It was a fun action movie with really impressive visual moments. But best picture caliber? Maybe I was too hyped going in, but the awesomeness escapes me.

I typed out a long post and lost it. When I get home, I'll weigh in on what I loved about Mad Max. It definitely wasn't a deep film or anything, but it was an action movie that had respect for its audience.

Completely agree on The Revenant. My favourite movie of the year. I also highly recommend seeing it in the theatre for anyone who is on the fence, the landscape visuals alone make it demand the big screen theatre format.

I thought The Forest was terrible though. I get that the plot in horror movies nowadays so often require the main protagonist to make questionable decisions in order to keep the plot moving forward, but the lead character in this was exceptionally, exceptionally dumb, making decisions and processing her situation in a way that I couldn't continue the suspension of disbelief at some points. Can't give details without spoilers, but her decision making was laughable to the point of being unrealistic.

Saw this movie tonight.  Powerful indeed.  Moved me to tears several times.  Several times during the course of the movie I thought of my godson, now in San Diego preparing for the NFL combine.  I think every parent should see this film.

I'm surprised how little conversation's taken place. There's been some, but I thought "game changer" category. Perhaps you're still too close to something when you're exiting a theater.

Started watching Jessica Jones on NetFlix. Three episodes in, I'm not sure how I feel at this point.

I'm about 7 episodes in. I'd say it's entertaining but not great.

This was my impression as well.

I'm surprised how little conversation's taken place. There's been some, but I thought "game changer" category. Perhaps you're still too close to something when you're exiting a theater.

If this doesn't get fans pressuring the NFL, nothing ever will.

If you have kids and enjoy taking them to the movies, I advise you to pass on Norm of the North. One of the worst family films I've ever seen. Story did not flow well and there was practically no humor. Theatre was full of kids and the place was rather quiet. Usually doesn't take much for kids to laugh.

Edited by GoPre

If you have kids and enjoy taking them to the movies, I advise you to pass on Norm of the North. One of the worst family films I've ever seen. Story did not flow well and there was practically no humor. Theatre was full of kids and the place was rather quiet. Usually doesn't take much for kids to laugh.

Oh man, remember the days when 3D animated films basically HAD to be amazing? Wasn't that long ago... Now it's the awful cheap movie medium du jour...

The crown turd jewel of such being Food Fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf85ZaAfixM

A friend of mine was a lead animator on that movie with Woody Harrelson as a turkey... Free Birds I think. He mentioned several times how bummed out he was that his first major project was such a dud (through no fault of his own). The art in some of these movies is still amazing, but that doesn't cut it anymore. His most recent project was Book Of Life, which I've heard was lovely, but I haven't seen. Gotta do that. 

Norm of the North didn't even look particularly good, from the trailers I've seen. 

There's apparently a contract dispute here in Raleigh between Direct TV and the company that owns both the local Fox and CBS affiliates.  As of last night, those two were pulled from my lineup.  Fortunately, I don't think I watch anything on either right now.  How long do I have to sit through this though before I can demand some money back from Direct TV?

There's apparently a contract dispute here in Raleigh between Direct TV and the company that owns both the local Fox and CBS affiliates.  As of last night, those two were pulled from my lineup.  Fortunately, I don't think I watch anything on either right now.  How long do I have to sit through this though before I can demand some money back from Direct TV?

Call them up and talk about how much you like all 15 NCIS shows. Although right now, football playoffs might get you some good leverage if it goes that long as those two have both games this week, right?

Call them up and talk about how much you like all 15 NCIS shows. Although right now, football playoffs might get you some good leverage if it goes that long as those two have both games this week, right?

Which is exactly why it will be over by the weekend.  Still, if I can get back a couple bucks I'll do it.

There's apparently a contract dispute here in Raleigh between Direct TV and the company that owns both the local Fox and CBS affiliates. As of last night, those two were pulled from my lineup. Fortunately, I don't think I watch anything on either right now. How long do I have to sit through this though before I can demand some money back from Direct TV?

They're gonna offer you some bargain basement free sh!t when you call. You can probably get em for free Center Ice or HBO and Showtime or whatever tickles your fancy.

Forgot the X-Files mini-series debut is tonight. Anyone else excited? I know I am. Was addicted to the show when I was a kid.

Absolutely. D4rk is driving home from a hockey game as fast as possible. 20 minutes! 

I sat on my fat bum and doodled some vintage mulder/scully. 

VVWRvUd.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.