Fall/Winter 2015-2016 TV and Movies

Thwomp!

The first season for a bit crappy down the stretch with that weird surgeon transplanting eyes. I have no idea what the point of that whole subplot was.

The first season was more serial than the second, so they weren't really "subplots" as much as they were episodic problems to solve.

The first season was more serial than the second, so they weren't really "subplots" as much as they were episodic problems to solve.

Good point. I've liked that season two has seemed to tell one overarching story over the course of the episodes rather than each episode having it's own "villain".

Edited by Thorny

The strange stuff with Fish towards the end covered several episodes (I forget how many), so that one certainly qualifies as a subplot.  That and then they pretty much ignored it when she returned in the season finale.  Unfortunately, since it was the end of the season, that is what is freshest in my mind from their first year.

Honestly I wasn't sure what thread this could go in but I wanted to share it.

It is a short independent movie for the DBZ fans among us.

"The adaptation presents a reimagined version of Future Trunk’s original storyline in which the Androids and Cell have nearly wiped out mankind. There are no bright colors, crazy hair, or dog people, just muted tones and haunting landscapes as Trunks tries to hold off Cell long enough for Bulma to finish the time machine that would allow Trunks to prevent the bleak future featured in the film."

Edited by LGR4GM

The strange stuff with Fish towards the end covered several episodes (I forget how many), so that one certainly qualifies as a subplot. That and then they pretty much ignored it when she returned in the season finale. Unfortunately, since it was the end of the season, that is what is freshest in my mind from their first year.

Ah, correct. I never felt like they prioritized the leader of the group holding her captive though. It seemed like a pointless route to go aside from using it as a way to show us how Fish can command a group of men within hours of knowing them. She's been out all season so I imagine she'll be back soon enough.

Also, Fish Mooney's character is exclusive to the show, right?

Ah, correct. I never felt like they prioritized the leader of the group holding her captive though. It seemed like a pointless route to go aside from using it as a way to show us how Fish can command a group of men within hours of knowing them. She's been out all season so I imagine she'll be back soon enough.

Also, Fish Mooney's character is exclusive to the show, right?

I don't know if there are exclusive rights, but she was definitely created by the show and not in any of the comics.  If you watch Arrow at all, it's kind of like John Diggle.  He was created first on the show, but there's no exclusivity as he has now been added into the comics.

And as for Fish, she was

shot in the second to last episode,

but that was then completely ignored in the finale.  So odd, almost like they completely threw away that whole subplot.

Anyone watch The Man in the High Castle? Seems like a really cool alternate history concept, and the reviews look pretty good, but looking for some direct feedback. Trying to get a list of things to watch for the first month after surgery where I really can't do much of anything.

I watched an episode or three, and it's pretty good. It might turn into one of those "everyone is good, then bad, then good, etc." type things (soap operas for men). I haven't continued on because it's something I want to Watch, not just have on while I'm doing other things. I've been mired in Longmire lately, which I started as something I wasn't that interested in but would put on while working or whatever. It's actually a pretty good show, FWIW.

Well, with Fargo down to one episode left in the season, I will proclaim that this has been one of the best seasons for any show that I have ever seen.

Sometimes, you are spot on! Except for Ted Danson, I've never heard of any of these actors (well, maybe Peg, but I can't place her.) But they're brilliant. Just brilliant. Dodd's desperate look at Ed, then Peg, while he was tied up in the last episode, upon Ed's return, after Peg had stabbed him twice... that just slayed me.

Honestly I wasn't sure what thread this could go in but I wanted to share it.

It is a short independent movie for the DBZ fans among us.

"The adaptation presents a reimagined version of Future Trunk’s original storyline in which the Androids and Cell have nearly wiped out mankind. There are no bright colors, crazy hair, or dog people, just muted tones and haunting landscapes as Trunks tries to hold off Cell long enough for Bulma to finish the time machine that would allow Trunks to prevent the bleak future featured in the film."

Pretty incredible production value, even if that fight between the white hair dude and the pale guy was just the former hitting a latter who just took it 

Sometimes, you are spot on! Except for Ted Danson, I've never heard of any of these actors (well, maybe Peg, but I can't place her.) But they're brilliant. Just brilliant. Dodd's desperate look at Ed, then Peg, while he was tied up in the last episode, upon Ed's return, after Peg had stabbed him twice... that just slayed me.

Peg is played by Kirsten Dunst, who was Peter Parker's GF in the 1st Spider-Man movie (and has had a pretty solid movie career overall). And her husband is played by Jesse Plemons who (when much skinnier) was on Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad.

The balding cop from Fargo who was riding shotgun in the cop car with Tef Danson in the back was the warden in Oz (the brutal prison drama on HBO).

To your other question: this season takes place in the 1970s (when Reagan was running for president). So if Hank was, say, 25 in 1945, he'd be 58 in 1978.

EDIT: Just realized you were referring to WWI, not WWII. In that case the timing does seem off. Although Reagan ran a couple of times.

Anyway, I'm glad we agree on this. It's a terrific show.

Peg is played by Kirsten Dunst, who was Peter Parker's GF in the 1st Spider-Man movie (and has had a pretty solid movie career overall). And her husband is played by Jesse Plemons who (when much skinnier) was on Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad.

The balding cop from Fargo who was riding shotgun in the cop car with Tef Danson in the back was the warden in Oz (the brutal prison drama on HBO).

To your other question: this season takes place in the 1970s (when Reagan was running for president). So if Hank was, say, 25 in 1945, he'd be 58 in 1978.

EDIT: Just realized you were referring to WWI, not WWII. In that case the timing does seem off. Although Reagan ran a couple of times.

The show is set in 1979. See opening title.

I was just reading up on Plemons. Totally did not recognize him from BB.

Fargo spoiler alert

In the local paper today there's a photo released by FX that shows Peg and Ed in a grocery store aisle. Ed has his right arm around Peg and appears to have been shot in the left shoulder. This is not a screen grab from a previous episode. A little disappointed FX would release such an image. Maybe there was an embargo on it and AP prematurely used it. The photo accompanies a story about the Golden Globe nominations, one of which went to Kirsten Dunst for best actress in a series or TV movie.

Edited by SDS

Ok, not a winter movie, but one I know cannot wait for. Check out the trailer for Independence Day 2. 

I'm pumped for this. Rumor is there was two scripts, one with Will Smith as the lead and one not, and they chose the one without because Smith didn't want to do the movie. It still looks awesome

Is anyone watching 'Into the Badlands' yet?

I'm pumped for this. Rumor is there was two scripts, one with Will Smith as the lead and one not, and they chose the one without because Smith didn't want to do the movie. It still looks awesome

Is anyone watching 'Into the Badlands' yet?

Rumor is out he wanted too much money. Producers also felt his level of fame was too high for ID2. In the first one Smith was basically known as the fresh prince. Didn't have a big performance next to his name yet.

They killed Will Smith off in a separate website where it says he was killed when the alien tech malfunctioned and exploded.

I just read that. Smith was a pilot. He can be replaced.

I mentioned money as a possible reason why Will Smith is not a part of ID2. There's talk he wanted $50 million. The guy has made a few great movies, but it has been a while, at least it feels like it, since he's done anything to brag about. 

Yeah, Danson's character was a WW II vet.

The Gearhart (sp?) Matriarch is played by Jean Smart - from CBS' s very bad 80's rip off of The Golden Girls - Designing Women.

And pretty sure the Gas/Convenience Store clerk was on The Red Green Show. Ticked that his character's name is escaping me now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.