GDT: Philadelphia @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm edt, 10/30/2015

WildCard

Just finished watching here on delay as well.  (I miss you all!)  Mountain time is going to be an adjustment, for sure.  Fun game, Ullmark looked good, Eichel's goal was SUH-WEET, and O'Reilly's pass to set up Deslauriers's (sp?) was a thing of beauty.  I look forward to more nights when I can just chill and watch the Sabres once things finally settle down here!  Oh, and the video montage from a few nights ago (can't recall which game) with Gionta, Ennis, and Girgensons about "the wait is over"?  Chills.  For real.

It feels so great to love this team again.

Just finished watching here on delay as well. (I miss you all!) Mountain time is going to be an adjustment, for sure. Fun game, Ullmark looked good, Eichel's goal was SUH-WEET, and O'Reilly's pass to set up Deslauriers's (sp?) was a thing of beauty. I look forward to more nights when I can just chill and watch the Sabres once things finally settle down here! Oh, and the video montage from a few nights ago (can't recall which game) with Gionta, Ennis, and Girgensons about "the wait is over"? Chills. For real.

It feels so great to love this team again.

Hi Bio!

Hope all is going well!

May have been the best complete game I've seen this team play in three years.

ROR was unreal.

Jack played with some incredible confidence after his highlight reel goal

Continue to love McCabe's game

Great game by franson tonight

Also liked ullmark. His rebound control is miles better than chad

It's early, but he's my boy so I'm gonna go ahead with the hyperbole...is it possible O'Reilly is a franchise player in his own right? :p

I had the same feeling watching last night. I'm prepared to be schooled if the following observation isn't shared by others. That is, I see ROR playing a game and bringing a dimension similar to that which Toews plays and brings in Chicago.

They're different players, of course. Would anyone spit a beer out if I said that in a bar?

Edited by N'eo

Game Notes:

O'Reilly! I'm in love.Based on the last 4 games. Colorado got fleeced. We haven't had anyone that dominated a game at center ice like that in since the 90's. 

Love how Deslauries, Zemgus, McGinn, Samson, and Foligno get to the front of the net. The forwards are creating a culture of getting there. the first 6 games there were too many naked shots. That's changing.

O'Reilly. 

Who held the Halloween party last night. Where was everybody?

Ulmark looked pretty sharp. Maybe he was bewildered last start, but he looked more explosive rather than sluggish and passive. 

Philly has more seasoned talent than Buffalo. They are poorly constructed IMO. Not enough grit at wing, not enough depth at D.

Streit who is what? close to 40? is getting their most minutes. 

Watching the Sabres breakouts is a pleasure. 

Good win. 

Okay, I now think we can say ###### YEAH!  This was the best played hockey game, albeit misses consistently on shots at the net on the PP that this team has played in almost 3 years.  I drank so much!  God, this team without Kane and Ennis and Bogosian was rocking last night.  Ryan O'Reilly, you're worth every dime!  Eichel with the stretch/glide into the sweet shot.  I felt bad for Neuvy for a moment because he's a really underrated goalie, but man Leenus "Linus" Ullmark, you showed up!  Crisp transition work, the pass off the wall from Foligno into ROR to a driving Deslauriers.   Traditional top line, hell no!  BUFFALO ROCKS!  

How long does Weber sit?

Forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever....NEVER to see the Ice againe!

still loving Ullmark's mask

I liked his Koopa mask last season better personally.  

Ullmark4.jpg

The only thing that I hated was the Gorges hit on Read from behind in the third period.  I was like....really that was pointless.  Bad form Gorgeous Josh!

Edited by TheCerebral1

I had the same feeling watching last night. I'm prepared to be schooled if the following observation isn't shared by others. That is, I see ROR playing a game and bringing a dimension similar to that which Toews plays and brings in Chicago.

They're different players, of course. Would anyone spit a beer out if I said that in a bar?

No, I wouldn't.  I think ROR brings a bit more size than Toews and Toews is a bit more dynamic in his skating but both have an incredible work ethic on the ice and are capable of shutting people down and firing up the offense.  

The Gorges thing was more an unfortunate situation than an intention crushing check from behind.  Read switched directions and I think as Gorges was attempting to cut into the boards to actually cut off that reversal in direction he was late and caught Read.  I am sure the league will talk to him but that's all i would expect.

Keep in mind Read then played the entire power play.

There can be no doubt just how poor of a coach Nolan is at this point.  While some facets of this team have changed the core of it remains and we can clearly see differences in the thinking of the players.  There is a place to be on the ice and they all know it.  There is a focus on patience with the puck and it makes for some very great defensive breakouts.  Last year the puck would have been off a stick in a flash but this year I continually see players holding the puck to make one small move that allows the passing lane to open to complete a breakout.

They are just a lot of fun to watch and right now I have to give all kinds of credit to Bylsma.  

No, I wouldn't.  I think ROR brings a bit more size than Toews and Toews is a bit more dynamic in his skating but both have an incredible work ethic on the ice and are capable of shutting people down and firing up the offense.  

The Gorges thing was more an unfortunate situation than an intention crushing check from behind.  Read switched directions and I think as Gorges was attempting to cut into the boards to actually cut off that reversal in direction he was late and caught Read.  I am sure the league will talk to him but that's all i would expect.

Keep in mind Read then played the entire power play.

There can be no doubt just how poor of a coach Nolan is at this point.  While some facets of this team have changed the core of it remains and we can clearly see differences in the thinking of the players.  There is a place to be on the ice and they all know it.  There is a focus on patience with the puck and it makes for some very great defensive breakouts.  Last year the puck would have been off a stick in a flash but this year I continually see players holding the puck to make one small move that allows the passing lane to open to complete a breakout.

They are just a lot of fun to watch and right now I have to give all kinds of credit to Bylsma.  

I'll be the first to dis Nolan but lets not act like the roster wasn't completely turned over

I'll be the first to dis Nolan but lets not act like the roster wasn't completely turned over

Exactly. And how can anyone with a straight face say Nolan and staff were in the position to do their best coaching job? It's hysterical that some on this board, the virulent tankers, can criticize Nolan for not doing a better job. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

I enjoyed the second like no other period in recent memory. Utter domination of the Flyers.

The relentless style Bylsma preaches is a treat to watch. This is a pretty good hockey team.

Remember those conversations we had about whether ROR was a first-liner? Such wacky kids we were.

Exactly. And how can anyone with a straight face say Nolan and staff were in the position to do their best coaching job? It's hysterical that some on this board, the virulent tankers, can criticize Nolan for not doing a better job. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

coaching and players makes for hockey.

Last year in a nutshell.

Not that I really want to get into this, but as of today the defense and goal-tending are really on a par with last years team. 

The difference is Brian Gionta hasn't been left to organize the transition game. 

I think I was a co-driver for the tank, I don't care what Nolan did or didn't do.

You're safe with me (and I will speak for Drunkard also) and no beer would be lost. Not because of the comment comparing Toews and ROR on the same level of play. But because the waste of a fine beverage is a sin . Right Drunkard ? :devil:

Not that I really want to get into this, but as of today the defense and goal-tending are really on a par with last years team. 

The difference is Brian Gionta hasn't been left to organize the transition game. 

The goaltending is worse.

The skill level and depth up front though is night and day.

Depends where the bar is

I noticed that some fans were doing the oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh song that's heard at the Ralph. Not sure if it was spontaneous or if it was initially played over the sound system. I think I like it. That said, let's consider the perils of transplanting too many Bills traditions into the arena. #onebuffalo

(And it would be cooler if it went Bu-uh-uff-ah-lo-oh.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.