GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo, 7:00pm edt, 10/21/2015

WildCard

Really though. Enjoy the hockey. His presence is really trans-formative. Instead of getting outshot and outdrawn by 10 every night the Sabres are outshooting everyone and outdrawing everyone by 10. It's, what is it called?, it's, nice. 

Embrace the nice. 

Yep, fun watching a team that is actually coached on how to play.....not spending most of the game trying to get the puck out of your own end and giving  up 40 shots a game

Hear me out, I think Girgensons should be paired with Kane rather than Eichel. Kane's disallowed goal and good goal were both greatly brought about by Girgs. When Girgs was with Eichel and Kane their line has played better. I think it has to do with Kane and Girgs playing a similar style thus being able to predict the other. Both of them love to just run into the fray and try to get the puck to pop out, and both seem able to get it when it does pop out. Eichel isn't a wrecking ball thus his style of digging the puck out differs slightly, not to mention Eichel is sort of unpredictable.

Eichel should be paired with Moulson, Moulson won't win you a game on his own, or rush the D, but he doesn't rely on predicting his linemates. He gets to the net, and understands with Eichel type players that you should just expect the unexpected and be ready to cash in.

My idea's lines

Kane-Girgensons-Reinhart  1a  Bull Rush 

McGinn-O'Reilly-Gionta 1b Old Faithful

Moulson-Eichel-Ennis 1c Skill with the closer

Foligno-Legwand/Larsson-Deslauries  The Other Guys

Great post. Love your lines and the reasoning behind them.

On another note, I really don't get all the Gionta hate. I think he's still pretty solid.

Yep, fun watching a team that is actually coached on how to play.....not spending most of the game trying to get the puck out of your own end and giving  up 40 shots a game

Was most fun I had cheering for them in 3rd and OT/Shootout in forever.  As RJ said, give me 10 minutes of 3 v 3!  Will be interesting to see stats after a few more weeks of play (4v4:SO vs 3V3:SO).

On Johnson, is he the exact opposite of Hasek?  This guy seems to just sit there square.  There's barely any movement almost like he's in a staring contest.  Or even Miller would say he would play games. Show shooter something to bait.  Whatever works!  

So I love this team...a few thoughts:

Girgensons is awesome. He may not show up on the score sheet that often, but every time he is on the ice, even someone who doesn't watch hockey will know that "this guy is making a difference."

I like Reinhart more and more each game. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's his attitude (outside of his more frequent nice plays). He seems moderately physical for a teenager, but what impresses me with his physicality is that he never gets upset/angry or looks rattled when he gets hit or shoved. It's like his focus is always on the next hockey play. I guess I would say he appears to play without an ego, and just goes to work every shift and doesn't let anything bother him. 

Gorges...it's early and he was injured for a time, but I honestly am not sure how he got an "A." During a lot of the game yesterday, he did not stand out at all and in fact looked bad at times. There were several moments I believe in the first period where he looked out of position in the O-zone and he even looked like he got caught daydreaming once or twice. Is it just me?

Loving Foligno. I'm biased since I bought his jersey two seasons ago so I want him to succeed (haha), but I've always liked him and it's nice to see him really contributing and making plays. It seems that Ted Nolan just told him to "use that big frame" and "throw his body around" as you would hear him say in interviews last year. Not sure what Dan Bylsma is telling him now but it's working.

Deslauriers is a gem...a guy that plays that heavy, can fight with anyone, and who actually has the skill to close and have a few legit scoring chances a game is quite valuable in today's NHL where guys like Scott/Orr/etc. are becoming a liability.

On another note, I really don't get all the Gionta hate. I think he's still pretty solid.

He's associated with the tank and the past, and not with the future.  I think it's just that simple for some people.  I see him and Gorges and Moulson as "transitional veterans."  Since we fire-saled the old rotten core, we need some pedigreed veterans to mentor the team until they come of age; I think all three of those guys have the character.  The problem is their best years were spent with other teams so there isn't any nostalgia in the fan base to endear them to us.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/879rajq.gif&v=ynxNBN2KcJc&s=20

I think I'm goona post this after every Sabres win.

Yet another event he crushed at the combine.

I started watching this one at around 8 or 8:30 last night.  With some selective fastforwarding, I was pretty much caught up to real time near the end.  With about 5 minutes left and a 1-0 score, my DVR recording cut out and I had to quickly scramble to find the actual station to see if the game was still going.  I find it with 1 minute left and a 1-1 score.  Man was I angry about that.  Anyway, I haven't been able to catch many of the game yet, so a lot of things are still new to me:

1. Franson skates like me.  I am beyond terrified watching him in a foot race.

2. Reinhart compared to his brief stay last year is night and day.  There's a confidence to him now and I look forward to watching him grow as a player.

3. Johnson terrifies me too.  We are going to need a lot more of these lopsided shot advantages, because sooner or later, he's going to have one of those games where even the beach balls find the back of the net.

4. An older, slowing down Gionta and his lack of reach is not a good combination.  I'm seeing too many opportunities where a human sized player would easily disrupt a pass or rush by getting their stick on the puck.

Loving Foligno. I'm biased since I bought his jersey two seasons ago so I want him to succeed (haha), but I've always liked him and it's nice to see him really contributing and making plays. It seems that Ted Nolan just told him to "use that big frame" and "throw his body around" as you would hear him say in interviews last year. Not sure what Dan Bylsma is telling him now but it's working.

Deslauriers is a gem...a guy that plays that heavy, can fight with anyone, and who actually has the skill to close and have a few legit scoring chances a game is quite valuable in today's NHL where guys like Scott/Orr/etc. are becoming a liability.

I think Foligno was encouraged to use his body last year, but not much more than that.  This year it seems like he's more of a playmaker.  Last year he merely disrupted, this year he creates (still leading the team in the young season in assists).  And in two of the three assists, it wasn't that he just happened to be one of the last couple of guys to touch the puck; he actually put two passes out there that were beauties that set up the goal scorer (Eich, McCabe).

Deslauriers is a good guy to have on the team.  I though last year he contributed more to game play than he has so far this year, though.  I think the Sabres have so much more quality that he may end up being pushed out in the not too distant future.  That's not a criticism of him but rather a projection of where this team is heading.

2. Reinhart compared to his brief stay last year is night and day.  There's a confidence to him now and I look forward to watching him grow as a player.

I've seen more jump to his game since he was put on a top scoring line.  He knows greater things are expected of him, I think, and he's doing all he can to make it happen.  His days of passive floating are over.

He's associated with the tank and the past, and not with the future.  I think it's just that simple for some people.  I see him and Gorges and Moulson as "transitional veterans."  Since we fire-saled the old rotten core, we need some pedigreed veterans to mentor the team until they come of age; I think all three of those guys have the character.  The problem is their best years were spent with other teams so there isn't any nostalgia in the fan base to endear them to us.

I just think he's playing bad hockey.  This happened at the beginning of last year.  1 assist in his first 14 games.  Finished the season strong with 21 points in his final 19 games. Hopefully he can find his scoring touch again.  He just came back from an injury and still needs to build chemistry with all the new players, so it's definitely not out of the question.

I think Murray signed Moulson for cheap production on Eichel's wing and Bylsma hasn't found his way to that particular pairing yet.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Was most fun I had cheering for them in 3rd and OT/Shootout in forever.  As RJ said, give me 10 minutes of 3 v 3!  Will be interesting to see stats after a few more weeks of play (4v4:SO vs 3V3:SO).

On Johnson, is he the exact opposite of Hasek?  This guy seems to just sit there square.  There's barely any movement almost like he's in a staring contest.  Or even Miller would say he would play games. Show shooter something to bait.  Whatever works!

Ocho is a nonbeliever. He doesn't believe your first move, stutter step, or deke.

A few game notes:

- I thought Pysyk made some nice plays in in the D-zone but he almost gave the game away at the end of regulation.  As to why he had the least ice time among the D:  as I've said before, I think his game is limited.  He's doesn't contribute much offense (hence zero PP time and almost zero OT time -- and very little production in the AHL too) and he's not physical enough to clear the crease (hence zero PK time -- and less overall time than McCabe). 

IMHO, for Pysyk to be an effective NHL defenseman, he needs to be able to use the right amount of force and momentum to separate the puck from the opposing forwards, make the right decision in the d-zone a very high percentage of the time and either skate it out or pass it out of danger with a very high level of competence.  Now, the good news is that I've seen him do all of those things quite a bit so far this year, so I'm reasonably optimistic that he can get there.  But unless his offense really develops, I don't think he's going to be as prominent a player as many here think.

- Kane running over Phaneuf was awesome. 

- The Sabres looked befuddled in the 3-on-3.

- Chad Johnson played a great freaking game.

- Many here got their wish about breaking up Eichel and Kane -- I don't think they played together much (if at all) during the 3rd period & OT last night.

- Zemgus was back up to 17 min last night, although I think 1 or 2 shifts were in OT.

- I thought Risto was a little up and down last night too, although he got 24 min.  Franson also a bit spotty.

- Ennis also played a very strong game.

- They'll need more than 1 goal to beat the Habs, but they can get there.

I think Foligno was encouraged to use his body last year, but not much more than that.  This year it seems like he's more of a playmaker.  Last year he merely disrupted, this year he creates (still leading the team in the young season in assists).  And in two of the three assists, it wasn't that he just happened to be one of the last couple of guys to touch the puck; he actually put two passes out there that were beauties that set up the goal scorer (Eich, McCabe).

Eh, I could've assisted on Eichel's first goal.  But I have really liked Foligno's play so far this season.  He's consistently bringing it, which I had almost given up hoping for.

I think that Deslauriers is a 3rd/4th line tweener, and an absolute necessity come playoff time.

A few game notes:

- I thought Pysyk made some nice plays in in the D-zone but he almost gave the game away at the end of regulation.  As to why he had the least ice time among the D:  as I've said before, I think his game is limited.  He's doesn't contribute much offense (hence zero PP time and almost zero OT time -- and very little production in the AHL too) and he's not physical enough to clear the crease (hence zero PK time -- and less overall time than McCabe). 

IMHO, for Pysyk to be an effective NHL defenseman, he needs to be able to use the right amount of force and momentum to separate the puck from the opposing forwards, make the right decision in the d-zone a very high percentage of the time and either skate it out or pass it out of danger with a very high level of competence.  Now, the good news is that I've seen him do all of those things quite a bit so far this year, so I'm reasonably optimistic that he can get there.  But unless his offense really develops, I don't think he's going to be as prominent a player as many here think.

- Kane running over Phaneuf was awesome. 

- The Sabres looked befuddled in the 3-on-3.

- Chad Johnson played a great freaking game.

- Many here got their wish about breaking up Eichel and Kane -- I don't think they played together much (if at all) during the 3rd period & OT last night.

- Zemgus was back up to 17 min last night, although I think 1 or 2 shifts were in OT.

- I thought Risto was a little up and down last night too, although he got 24 min.  Franson also a bit spotty.

- Ennis also played a very strong game.

- They'll need more than 1 goal to beat the Habs, but they can get there.

Great notes. Franson has intermittent hiccups. We have a fast team, and that makes him look really slow. I wonder if Nolan Pratt could run him down.

3x3 the Sabres look bewildered for much of it. Lots of retreating. It's gonna be a blast though. The shootouts are a disappointing end to the 3x3 OT.

It seemed like the whole lineup was in flux for most of the night.  The line combinations were changing left and right throughout the entire game.  Powerplays will obviously have a lot to do with that, but it seemed to be happening far more often than just that.  Like I said earlier, I haven't been able to watch much yet this year, so maybe this has been a common thing, but it was very obvious last night.

3x3 the Sabres look bewildered for much of it. Lots of retreating. It's gonna be a blast though. The shootouts are a disappointing end to the 3x3 OT.

The shootout itself was ridiculously slow too.  Most of the shooters were approaching the net at a snail's (Franson) pace.  I can't wait to be rid of them permanently.  It's a thought for another thread, but bring on continuous 3-on-3 OT.  They'll end fast.

After watching my first 3x3 last night, I think the NHL erred on keeping the shootout.  That is so wide open that all games would end, IMO, with 10 minutes.  It takes more than 5 minutes to run the shootout.  They should just let these teams finish it on the ice, like men.

After watching my first 3x3 last night, I think the NHL erred on keeping the shootout.  That is so wide open that all games would end, IMO, with 10 minutes.  It takes more than 5 minutes to run the shootout.  They should just let these teams finish it on the ice, like men.

I wonder if the nhlpa wants to keep the shootouts. It is kind of a niche stat for player negotiations for those who excel at it.

As for Pysyk's TOI: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/TH020088.HTM

Pysyk: 17s on the pp, 0s on the pk, 15:42 EV, 11s in OT

McCabe: 38s on the pp, 45s on the pk, 16:04 EV, 45s in OT

Weber: 0s on the pp, 75s on the pk, 17:49 EV, 0s in OT

So, what I believe it is, is Pysyk isn't a pk guy, and the pp d-men will always be Risto and Franson. He's getting similar EV time to McCabe, and as others have noted, he's not going to beat out Weber-Franson because a) Franson, and b) it's a young pairing 

Edit: Good breakdown dudacek.

- Definitely agree with Eichel, that's a lot of the reason I want Kane off his line. I think his tendency is to defer to Kane, but I think if you give Eichel control of that line he plays much more freely, and let's it go out there. 

- Good comparison with the Leafs to last year's Sabres. It shows how much coaching matters

- Chad Johnson came up big tonight. Usually you can be an average goalie and win, but he made some elite saves tonight; at least 3-4 of them

- I like Kane- Reinhart - Girgensons, but again, where does that leave O'Reilly, Ennis, and Eichel? All on the same line?

Yes please.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.