GDT: Buffalo @ Tampa Bay, 7pm edt, 10/17/2015

WildCard

Furious at the multiple non-calls but the game was certainly entertaining. They didn't lose by anything short of a scramble and a rookie lapse. Reinhart had his coming out game, had a goal and nearly another two along with that godly pass to ROR. 

Until Gionta shakes off the rust from his injury I dont understand why he's playing on the 2nd line or on PP at the moment either.

Kane-Eichel-Foligno/Girgs worked far better.

If the non-calls in this game truly have you furious, Han has an issue.

There were a couple of plays that could have been called, but overall it was even. Stinks that 1 non-call could have been a 2 goal swing, but only watching it once in realtime, not positive Jack was interfered w/ prior to the 1st TB goal.

The following players are holding them back:

Gionta

Gorges

Weber

Moulson

While I agree they aren't the best players on the team, I think Moulson can be a decent 2nd liner still, and Gionta and Gorges serve their purposes, just not on the 2nd and 1st pair respectively. 

On the bright side, how about McCabe and Pysk? Were they d-partners in Rochester? They seem to have a lot of chemistry, and McCabe's physicality mixed with Pysk's poise is a great balance so far

Gionta

Gorges

Weber

Moulson

I'm struggling to remember a play where Gorges has cost us.

The awkward pass from Johnson that hung him out to dry with two forecheckers on him and led to a goal?

The accidental trip that put us down two men?

I see him battling his ass off in the D zone and clearing the puck against the other team's top players.

I honestly think people just get it in their head that they don't like a player — usually an older one — and see what they want to see.

Shots against are way down from last year, chances too. To me he's been doing his job, playing the body, blocking shots and defending our zone.

If you want to point fingers, how about the offensive leaders on this team, who haven't scored enough.

Eichel, O'Reilly, Ennis and Kane have combined for four goals and nine points in five games despite getting about 20 minutes of ice time a night each.

Personally, I've liked their games, but their job is to produce.

So if anyone is holding us back...

The awkward pass from Johnson that hung him out to dry with two forecheckers on him and led to a goal?

I see him battling his ass off in the D zone and clearing the puck against the other team's top players.

I honestly think people just get it in their head that they don't like a player — usually an older one — and see what they want to see.

Shots against are way down from last year, chances too. To me he's been doing his job, playing the body, blocking shots and defending our zone.

If you want to point fingers, how about the offensive leaders on this team, who haven't scored enough.

Eichel, O'Reilly, Ennis and Kane have combined for four goals and nine points in five games despite getting about 20 minutes of ice time a night each.

Someone (a couple people maybe) upthread commented about Eichel's impressive defensive zone responsibility.  While that's great, I hope his creativity in the offensive zone doesn't suffer for it (and I doubt it will).  Just hope I don't see DD channeling his inner Lindy when it comes to dealing with the talent.

Edited by russ

This is a much improved team. Debbie enjoyed watching this game.

:thumbsup:

While I agree they aren't the best players on the team, I think Moulson can be a decent 2nd liner still, and Gionta and Gorges serve their purposes, just not on the 2nd and 1st pair respectively. 

On the bright side, how about McCabe and Pysk? Were they d-partners in Rochester? They seem to have a lot of chemistry, and McCabe's physicality mixed with Pysk's poise is a great balance so far

They were for most of the year I think, I hope they keep them both together when Bogo gets back.

Risto - Bogo

McCabe - Pysyk

Gorges - Franson

Weber

That should do it.

Gionta

Gorges

Weber

Moulson

I can't agree with any of this. All of these guys are accomplishing their assignments. Gorges, especially, is very good at what he's supposed to do.

What's holding then back is inexperience and time. They're going to look much better by Christmas.

Today we saw sustained aggression for all three periods - when was the last time you saw the Sabres playing aggressively for all three periods? This game looked almost like a playoff game.

There was no panic in their game today, and the frustration didn't creep in until the waning moments of the second.

They had several good chances against a hot team with a solid goalie and lost by one point. This wasn't a blow out by any stretch; it was the kind of game coaches mean when they say "games are so tight in this league today...".

Disco Dan seems to be pushing the right buttons and making good decisions...it will be a delicious stew when it's done.

A single look at the shot chart last night, will prove you're absolutely right.

You don't win many games scoring a single goal, unless your goalie is Dominik Hasek, and the year is 1998/1999. Simple as that.

If these guys ever learn to score, this team will start winning. It'll come.

Edited by Kristian

Fun game.  Great to see the Sabres skating so hard and taking it to the Lightening in the first.  Reinhart was good, and shows what players can do when they're put on the right line.  SPEAKING OF WHICH, how how how how how are Kane and Eichel still together?

I've seen maybe one clean pass between the two of them in the offensive zone (the one from Eichel to Kane after Jack split the D and layed it back into the slot) in five games.  They get decent zone time because they're so ridiculously fast, but they don't possess the puck at all.  Eichel played with Matt Moulson for 20 seconds and they connected in the offensive zone for a great scoring chance.  What is Hot Daniel seeing that I'm not?  Blahhh.

Great game by the defense.  They have been a very pleasant surprise.  Weber - Franson continues to play well despite their near impossible assignments.  Pysyk was great today, looked like Sekera out there.  McCabe played well despite being victimized on the first goal (real crappy luck on those bounces).  I love the way this kid stands up at the blue line.  A good game from Risto, but I want to see him take over some shifts... Maybe in time.  Gorges did what Gorges do, he's been solid all year.

O'Reilly was a beast once again.  He created something like 4 or 5 turnovers tonight, a couple of which were cleanly picked off passes.  Dude is everything Blue promised.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Without reading anything here. I just watched the whole game.

First period was the best period I saw this and the last two season. We dominated Tampa it was awesome.

First line with samson, RoR and Ennis was great, Second line is not working with Gionta. Third and fourth line could / should do more damage

McCabe caused the fist goal against ( with Eichel, Reinhardt and McCabe three rookies on the ice together with Pysyk and Moulson, bad combination in my opinion, although Eichel nearly scored and the goal against was a rookie mistak) , Chad Johnson cost us the game. This goalie is just aweful. A worse rebound machine I have never seen in the NHL.Frankly I hate him and would love to have either of Linback, Enroth or Neuvirth instead of him.

I like Franson. He is just full in control of what he is doing, a defender who is bale to pass precisely. Weber is hopefully gone when Bogo is back,

What? We just played a SC final team and with the exception of a slight blunder by McCabe and an unlucky ugly scramble in front we were the better team.

The neutral zone play this game was some of the best that I've seen from this team in YEARS. Creating turnovers, playing physical and generally making it a nuisance for TB to break out.

Sam Reinhart finally getting on the board. All the lines were clicking. How you can come away from that game with anything but hope baffles me.

I am full of hope and know it will be sooner than later but that doesn't mean I am not sick of losing too. I just can't wait to see all cylinders firing at once. These last two seasons as a season ticket holder took a lot more out of me than I thought....

Chad Johnson cost us the game. This goalie is just aweful. A worse rebound machine I have never seen in the NHL.Frankly I hate him and would love to have either of Linback, Enroth or Neuvirth instead of him.

I like Franson. He is just full in control of what he is doing, a defender who is bale to pass precisely. Weber is hopefully gone when Bogo is back,

Johnson seems fine to me stopping the puck, but his puck control is a nightmare. Holy hell is he bad trying to use his stick. That Linbeck (is that his name?) we had late last year was great with the puck. Bishop is also and Murray traded him. Not sure Murray is very good picking goalies, but whatever

And Franson was rusty at start of year but looks solid now

I think the difference between how fans view this season and how the players view it will be interesting to follow. O'Reilly said, "We have to find a way to win that game. It's not okay. Of course we did some good things right, but it's not okay." See also the players-only meeting called by Gionta. This is good. It has to be this way. They can't be happy with being better than one of the all-time worst teams and giving the fans some ooh-ahh moments. They'll almost certainly fall short this season, but they're trying to put in place the attitude of a champion.

I think the difference between how fans view this season and how the players view it will be interesting to follow. O'Reilly said, "We have to find a way to win that game. It's not okay. Of course we did some good things right, but it's not okay." See also the players-only meeting called by Gionta. This is good. It has to be this way. They can't be happy with being better than one of the all-time worst teams and giving the fans some ooh-ahh moments. They'll almost certainly fall short this season, but they're trying to put in place the attitude of a champion.

Yup.  As a fan right now I am OK with seeing a team on the ice that entertains even if it isn't successful most nights.  But the team itself needs to not accept being merely entertaining.

Team needs to start posting some wins soon;  right now Buffalo is only 5th from the bottom of the NHL;   the non-Tank season isn't looking much different than the Tank season.  Kane needs to start producing goals (and yeah, he was robbed of one by the officials) but 0 after 5 games isn't terrific. 

Just to compare to the Chicago Blackhawks first post-tank season - the Hawks went 6-6-0 in October 2007.  They were also 3-2 by October 17th.  

It's early but Sabres need to turn it around.   The expectation is that, no playoffs this year, but at a minimum a winning season.  

Held their own against a bonafide Stanley Cup contender.  Plenty of sustained pressure.  Lots of fast paced action.  Scrums around the net.  Well executed transitions.  And a number of yell at the TV opportunities.

I'm going all Liger on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

That was money. Well played. 

Wait, so now you think the players only meeting was a good thing?

Without reading anything here. I just watched the whole game.

First period was the best period I saw this and the last two season. We dominated Tampa it was awesome.

First line with samson, RoR and Ennis was great, Second line is not working with Gionta. Third and fourth line could / should do more damage

McCabe caused the fist goal against ( with Eichel, Reinhardt and McCabe three rookies on the ice together with Pysyk and Moulson, bad combination in my opinion, although Eichel nearly scored and the goal against was a rookie mistak) , Chad Johnson cost us the game. This goalie is just aweful. A worse rebound machine I have never seen in the NHL.Frankly I hate him and would love to have either of Linback, Enroth or Neuvirth instead of him.

Differences between Lindback and Johnson are Lindback can't move to make a stop but can handle the puck. Johnson can move and make the initial stop (provided he didn't just try to play it) but can't play it to save his life. Would much rather have Johnson as the backup than Lindback. Lindback is awful at job 1 - stopping the puck.

Enroth is better than either, but is not a starter and doesn't have the size TM looks for. No way he'd ever be brought back.

Though Neuvirth doesn't have the prototypical size Murray looks for, had hoped he'd be brought back as the backup. Could be he didn't want back.

Of course we and the players view things differently. This is our avocation & their vocation. If a player is ever happy w/ losing (except for very extreme circumstances) then get rid of him. Pro athletes compete andvget paid for W's. This team is entertaining to watch and I'm pleased w/ the direction at present. Glad that the players aren't happy. 

Yes. We may not mind the losses but the players have to.

You gotta put that quote in the context of the thread it came from weave. PA was using the players only meeting to take a shot at the posters who were telling other posters to stop panicking. It wasn't praise for Gionta. He was using it to justify overreacting.

No. My point was that Gionta wasn't panicking, just like some of the fans weren't panicking. "Good for him" tends to indicate praise.

I'd usually attribute stuff like this to the difficulty of communicating virtually, but there seems to be a deliberate pattern of distorting my points to make me look bad. I've had it.

Edited by pASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.