GDT: Buffalo @ Tampa Bay, 7pm edt, 10/17/2015

WildCard

It's just really cool to see skilled hockey once again from the Sabres. As stated earlier this was a SC finals team that they skated with tonight and they had some great chances.  Buffalo looked severly outclassed last year and this year it seems they are playing with NHL skill level and not AHL skill level. 

You can see the team growing right before your eyes.  Last year the Sabres couldn't get a shot on net to save their lives, this year completely different.

Jack Eichel is just scratching the surface on how great he is going to be.  His speed and moves are crazy for an 18 year old. There is no doubt that he is going to be an elite player in this league soooner than later.

Its fun to actually have skilled NHL players on your team making plays.  This team is just getting their legs under them.  I expect them to start winning games consistantly 25 games into the season.

Furious at the multiple non-calls but the game was certainly entertaining. They didn't lose by anything short of a scramble and a rookie lapse. Reinhart had his coming out game, had a goal and nearly another two along with that godly pass to ROR. 

Until Gionta shakes off the rust from his injury I dont understand why he's playing on the 2nd line or on PP at the moment either.

Kane-Eichel-Foligno/Girgs worked far better.  

Rust or no rust, we've seen Gionta for a year before his injury, the dude cannot play with a 24 year old Kane and an 18 year old Eichel in the peak fitness of their lives. He's not quick enough to get to a loose puck, nor is he big enough to win a board battle. Two things that are insanely important on a pp and a pk, and yet he's out there; largely I believe because he's the captain.

Reinhart was arguably a 2nd/3rd best player tonight. It's amazing what he can accomplish with skilled line mates. His pass to O'Reilly to set up that opportunity alone on Bishop was incredible.

Tampa tv team was impressed and respectful. I'm not sure what feed you had in Buffalo. Contrast with the last few years where Zadorov standing up for Zemgus or Kaleta making a statement were the highlights. Awesome, IMHO. Let's keep the locker room positive. I'm sure Double D's on that.

I think we outplayed Tampa tonight, and that has me thrilled. These games are going to turn into wins very soon. Leafs, Habs, Devils, Flyers coming up. we're going to get some wins.

I think Gionta is a giant anchor on a line that already has a mismatched pairing with Kane and Eichel. 

Right now I hate the Lightning like I hate the Leafs and Bruins when they beat us. 

And if I see one more power play with Eichel on the ice that has Gionta, Moulson, or McGinn bringing the puck into the zone themselves, and then turning it over, I'm gonna freak out.

I have to agree.  Very happy to see Sam play and he did a great job.   I'm a happy camper.

Tonight it was the goalie.  The Big Johnson played well, but Bishop stole one for the

2467342.jpg

I really like Kane playing like a junk yard dog, I hope it rubs off on the rest of the players.

Agreed.  Unstoppable.  Be unstoppable.

I disagree. Johnson isn't anything spectacular, but he's played pretty well. I have yet to see a goal where I knew it was all his fault. The pk issue is not winning face-offs, and when we do get the puck, failing to get it out

The winning goal. Didn't control the rebound, committed to freezing it and they got it away from him, moved it to an open spot and that was that. I know it was the heat of the moment, but he totally put himself out of position.

If only he had a slinky for a spine.

I didn't really think that was a case of a goalie stealing one. I know we all want that to be the case, but I thought their entire team did a great job in keeping most of our shots to the outside. We had a couple of good chances, but for the most part, I never thought we were really threatening them with a score.

Still a fun game though.

I didn't really think that was a case of a goalie stealing one. I know we all want that to be the case, but I thought their entire team did a great job in keeping most of our shots to the outside. We had a couple of good chances, but for the most part, I never thought we were really threatening them with a score.

Still a fun game though.

Sabres had 2 or 3 goal mouth opportunities; they could have easily buried one but Bishop shut them down.

Sabres had 2 or 3 goal mouth opportunities; they could have easily buried one but Bishop shut them down.

I agree. I'd be interested in a "goaltender" poster's view of Bishop's feet. He's so tall, but seems to have the quickest of feet even before he's down covering the lower portion of the net.

Edited by N'eo

And?

I didn't see him make any saves that I thought any goalie wouldn't have made. I thought Tamps's D and forwards did a great job of never giving our guys any space to make a play.

It just seems like saying that Bishop was the difference gives the rest of their play a pass.

And?

I didn't see him make any saves that I thought any goalie wouldn't have made. I thought Tamps's D and forwards did a great job of never giving our guys any space to make a play.

It just seems like saying that Bishop was the difference gives the rest of their play a pass.

I think most people watching that game think Bishop stole.  Its your opinion though, there isn't a game stealing stat for goalies

I don't think Bishop stole this game at all. Like Swamp said, he made 3-4 solid saves when he had to. Other than that our forwards/d-men shut down Tampa's high powered offense and made it impossible for them to establish any sort of consistent offensive zone time, thus allowing our forwards a ton of possession that unfortunately didn't lead to more than 1 goal

I think most people watching that game think Bishop stole.

I bet they are all people who want to believe that their team is better than it actually is.

They'll get there. But they ain't even close now, which is great, because they are really fun to watch now.

Sabres '15 looks like a scrappy bunch who are capable of playing a heavy game and are hard to play against. But they still can't score. At least they haven't meshed yet. I don't think Gionta adds much; I think by his contract he just takes a roster spot from a hungry young guy like Larsson. I think Legwand is the more important vet they'll platoon Larsson with Legwand/McGinn...I'm interested to see what happens when Boghosian returns. Not sure if the Sabres will improve significantly in goal scoring this year; they look like counterpunchers without a coherent attack. 

Edited by Marvelo

If you outshoot the other team by 10 shots and still lose, it's safe to say the goalie stole a game.

No it isn't. We played from the outside. Bishop didn't even sweat ROR's chance. He led him to his pads. A lot our shots were whacks at the net. Bishop had maybe 2 difficult saves.

Edited by 3putt

No it isn't. We played from the outside. Bishop didn't even sweat ROR's chance. He led him to his pads. A lot our shots were whacks at the net. Bishop had maybe 2 difficult saves.

You're both wrong.

The Sabres has a number of quality opportunities that simply didn't go.

Bishop played well but be didn't steal the game. He simply had the better luck.

You're both wrong.

The Sabres has a number of quality opportunities that simply didn't go.

Bishop played well but be didn't steal the game. He simply had the better luck.

Name one other than Eichel up the middle. We shot into him consistently. Reinhart's chance was a whack a mole. He pulls it to the backhand it is in. ROR was led to his pads. Like I said. They will convert those in time. But Bishop didn't steal the game.

When the young guys realize they may have a second more time than they think they will convert more. Eichel seems to get that already, he just needs to shoot more, looking to pass too often. All in all entertaining hockey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.