GDT: Buffalo @ Tampa Bay, 7pm edt, 10/17/2015

WildCard

I really don't see how anyone could be unhappy with Johnson at this point.  There are many career backups in the NHL who would've fallen off the table in this situation.  Johnson has given the Sabres a chance to win every game.  They've only scored 1 goal in 3 out of their 5 games, FFS.

My game notes:

- That was a really good 60-minute team effort.  TB is a very good team and that game easily could've gone either way.

- Having said that, dudacek is 100% right that their finishers gotta start finishing.  I think the fancystats improvement will eventually correlate to more wins, but Kane, Moulson, Ennis, Eichel, ROR, Gionta etc. need to light the lamp or it won't happen.

- Zemgus had less than 14 min. of ice time last night. 

- Pysyk had a nice game.  I saw him make a number of smart, crisp plays in the D-zone.  Not much contribution on the offensive end but hopefully that will come.

- Reinhart also had a nice game and seemed to mesh well with ROR and Ennis.

- ROR is a freaking horse.  I have zero concerns about his contract. 

- I too like Gionta's "no moral victories" approach.  That's what you want from the captain.  They need to put a few wins together so they know there's a reward for playing as well as they played last night.

- This is a much more enjoyable hockey watching experience than the last couple of years.  (No kidding!)

You gotta put that quote in the context of the thread it came from weave. PA was using the players only meeting to take a shot at the posters who were telling other posters to stop panicking. It wasn't praise for Gionta. He was using it to justify overreacting.

We read that very differently.  And I was framing it within the context of the thread at that point.

I really don't see how anyone could be unhappy with Johnson at this point.  There are many career backups in the NHL who would've fallen off the table in this situation.  Johnson has given the Sabres a chance to win every game.  They've only scored 1 goal in 3 out of their 5 games, FFS.

My game notes:

- That was a really good 60-minute team effort.  TB is a very good team and that game easily could've gone either way.

- Having said that, dudacek is 100% right that their finishers gotta start finishing.  I think the fancystats improvement will eventually correlate to more wins, but Kane, Moulson, Ennis, Eichel, ROR, Gionta etc. need to light the lamp or it won't happen.

- Pysyk had a nice game.  I saw him make a number of smart, crisp plays in the D-zone.  Not much contribution on the offensive end but hopefully that will come.

- I too like Gionta's "no moral victories" approach.  That's what you want from the captain.  They need to put a few wins together so they know there's a reward for playing as well as they played last night.

- This is a much more enjoyable hockey watching experience than the last couple of years.  (No kidding!)

Agree with all.

Just would add......glad that's the last we see of Bishop for awhile.

Bishop is a rock. So still.

I can't agree with any of this. All of these guys are accomplishing their assignments. Gorges, especially, is very good at what he's supposed to do.

What's holding then back is inexperience and time. They're going to look much better by Christmas.

Today we saw sustained aggression for all three periods - when was the last time you saw the Sabres playing aggressively for all three periods? This game looked almost like a playoff game.

There was no panic in their game today, and the frustration didn't creep in until the waning moments of the second.

They had several good chances against a hot team with a solid goalie and lost by one point. This wasn't a blow out by any stretch; it was the kind of game coaches mean when they say "games are so tight in this league today...".

Disco Dan seems to be pushing the right buttons and making good decisions...it will be a delicious stew when it's done.

This all sounds about right. Gionta will forever be the default whipping boy because of his age, even if he scored 40 goals this year. I'm prepared to read the gripes on every GDT for the rest of the season. 

Chad Johnson cost us the game. This goalie is just aweful. A worse rebound machine I have never seen in the NHL.Frankly I hate him and would love to have either of Linback, Enroth or Neuvirth instead of him.

I know it's just opinions but how did Johnson cost us the game. He gave up a breakaway and a PP goal. That not costing anyone anything. Edited by Johnny DangerFace

My game notes:

Good post......I like what you said about Johnson, maybe he could turn out to be a good goalie for us..............I have noticed that his rebound control has been better the last two games...... :beer:

First period was the best period I saw this and the last two season. We dominated Tampa it was awesome.

That was exactly how I felt. I'm okay with losses, as long as we see progress like that. 

Held their own against a bonafide Stanley Cup contender.  Plenty of sustained pressure.  Lots of fast paced action.  Scrums around the net.  Well executed transitions.  And a number of yell at the TV opportunities.

Hear, hear.

:huh:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.