Reinhart: Fewer minutes in NHL or more minutes in AHL?

pi2000

I remember hearing that at the time, but who knows what happened behind closed doors.  Remember he's a former member of that staff. He may have wanted Legwand, knew that Ottawa wasn't happy with the role he was filling, and pulled him over, graciously letting Ottawa insinuate it was just a cap dump.

I don't think Ottawa management was worried about fan perception of moving Leggy. IIRC, fans were quite disappointed he had lost a a step. 

Reinhart has played light years better than the trial nine game period last year.  That has a lot to do with a stability of upper level centermen and Bylsma's more direct skill/pressing game.  He looks like he belongs in the top forward group for sure.  Whether this means he's a RW long term or for the time being is what should be deciding.

I still remember a lot of people likening him to Patrick Sharp coming up (mainly on this board, not sure if I saw it elsewhere). It's a good problem to have, but I could see him being on the wing long-term if it really works out with our other guys.

I see ROR eventually moving to the wing. He can be an asset in a lot of situations and allow Sam and Z to play positions they are more suited for. ROR is more productive from a scoring standpoint on the wing at least his best year was as a winger.

I see ROR eventually moving to the wing. He can be an asset in a lot of situations and allow Sam and Z to play positions they are more suited for. ROR is more productive from a scoring standpoint on the wing at least his best year was as a winger.

Zemgus is not good at faceoffs. ROR is good at faceoffs. 

• 4 weeks later...

There's been to much Yiechel-ing lately and I thought a little Samson love was needed.

Paul Hamilton was on WGR this morning (sorry they didn't have an audio clip up).

I guess Sam and ROR are last of the ice for every practice (I know it's been mentioned here before). They stay out together going through drills and practicing their shots. It has been nicknamed the O'Reilly Practice.

I'll summerize Paul.... *my understanding is, because I'm not able to view the O'Reilly practice because I have to be in the locker room,  they've been working on their shot. In the past few weeks Samson's shot has become noticeably better....*. 

It appears as we have the 2 hardest working men in hockey. 

Time to go over to the Calder Trophy thread and change my vote.

Liger was right a few months back. It was to soon to start this thread. But if we listen to Liger all the time we wouldn't have near as much fun!

I don't know what Samson's ceiling is anymore.  His skating has improved to the point where he is an above average NHL skater. His wrist shot is clearly a work in progress but getting better. His hockey IQ is almost up to NHL speed which means I expect him to start exceeding NHL speed by January.  If he learns the hard work method that ROR is laying down, Reinhart could have an even brighter future in front of him. We must be cautious though, Reinhart will have to work hard to reach his full potential and due to past experience we should know that most players never hit that mark.

Time to go over to the Calder Trophy thread and change my vote.

I'm good with my vote. (I voted Samson from the start.)

I don't mean to insinuate that Jack isn't doing his part. I think Bylsma asks different things from Jack and Samson, and that at some point he'll ask Jack to stop freelancing as much and play a more disciplined game. Best to find out where his freelancing gets him though; you don't want to squash his creativity so much as channel it.

I don't know what Samson's ceiling is anymore.  His skating has improved to the point where he is an above average NHL skater. His wrist shot is clearly a work in progress but getting better. His hockey IQ is almost up to NHL speed which means I expect him to start exceeding NHL speed by January.  If he learns the hard work method that ROR is laying down, Reinhart could have an even brighter future in front of him. We must be cautious though, Reinhart will have to work hard to reach his full potential and due to past experience we should know that most players never hit that mark.

You left his board work off. He's so, so, so much better along the boards than he was last year, and even compared to early this year. He seems to be an eager student and a fast learner.

I'm loving watching this kid shape up. I admit, I ignored him for longer than I should have within the sludge of last year (and Risto, too).. but when my little score app was so often showing me  S. Reinhart, I started paying more attention. Keep him up here, it's doing him some good. He's got smart linemates, he's got a high IQ, he's becoming a nicely rounded player. I'm really starting to love watching this team. 

He's improved and is playing well.   The big concern for me was his ability to stay on his skates and win battles along the wall.   He's progressed nicely in those areas, still room to improve, but he's getting there.   As long as he's getting top-6 minutes he should stay on the big club.

He's improved and is playing well.   The big concern for me was his ability to stay on his skates and win battles along the wall.   He's progressed nicely in those areas, still room to improve, but he's getting there.   As long as he's getting top-6 minutes he should stay on the big club.

Always room to improve, but I would say that's the area where he's already improved the most, by a long shot.

He already falls 10 times less than Zemgus per game.

And I've noticed that a lot of time he'll sacrifice his balance if it means he makes the play.  So you see him go down after he's moved the puck.... or he'll get knocked over but manages to protect the puck and keep it away from the opponent until he gets back to his skates and makes a play.  He's much more determined on the puck that Eichel, at least most of the time.  Eichel seems to have fallen into the "drive-by" method of checking people with the puck.  He tries to poke at it with his momentum toward the opponents' goal, but if he misses it he's simply out of position (his speed gets him back, but his check is then free to move the puck).  Reinhart is more of a "terrier" where he goes at it until he gets it away or the puck is finally passed.  Maybe it's that Eichel attacks the puck while Reinhart attacks the puck carrier.

Personally I think he's the most improved player on the team. I was in favor of sending him down when he was getting less than 10 minutes of ice time. Not anymore, he not only belongs in the NHL, he belongs in the top 6 and teamed with ROR and Kane, I hope he stays on the #1 line. He had another good game yesterday and oh what a back-breaker it would have been if he had been able to finish on that 2v1 rush with ROR in the 3rd yesterday. That play had me jumping off the couch, unfortunately he was just wide with the tip.

I think playing the 3rd wheel with ROR and Kane will only further up his confidence level. I think he now KNOWS he belongs on the big club as opposed to hoping.

Nice observation BJ. Jack has a lot to learn on the defensive side, but at least he back checks like his hair's on fire.  I wish O'Reinhart time would just become "center practice."

What makes O'Reilly such a great player is his blend of strength and skill.  The way he's able to so cleanly stick check and pick off passes is only possible because he tries like Zemgus and has hands and balance like Vanek.  

I'm losing my mind over how Sam's play is already starting to resemble O'Reilly's.  Several times in the last few games I've noticed him creating turnovers by squaring up and taking space away from the puck holder.  Given how much Sam's speed and strength have improved since last year, I think he'll be even better than O'Reilly.

I think playing the 3rd wheel with ROR and Kane will only further up his confidence level. I think he now KNOWS he belongs on the big club as opposed to hoping.

I always think of Kane as the lancer on that line, because his style is so different.  He's the finisher and the hammer.  I like.

Edited by qwksndmonster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.