And this year's scapegoat is...?

dudacek

Who do you think will be this year's whipping boy?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be this year's whipping boy?

• Dan Bylsma
    • Robin Lehner
    • Josh Gorges
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Evander Kane
    • Jack Eichel
    • Ryan O'Reilly
    • Matt Moulson
    • Marcus Foligno
    • The sixth defenceman

Miller is gone, Myers is gone, Hodgson is in Nashville.

Hell, even Drew Stafford got traded.

Who are we going to kick around this year?

My nominees:

Ryan O'Reilly: big money, big hype, big expectations, but not a noted scorer.

Evander Kane: did he leave his baggage behind in Winnipeg?

Jack Eichel: there's a lot of hype to live up to

Matt Moulson: our fans tend to chew up veteran second-line wingers who don't hit or score

Marcus Foligno: there is a statute of limitations on patience for young players

Rasmus Ristolainen: see Eichel and add in the fact there's no one to shield him

Josh Gorges: no skill, should play a lot against other team's stars.

Robin Lehner: in the spotlight position and a lot fans didn't like the trade

The sixth defenceman: isn't he always the whipping boy?

Dan Bylsma: if all else fails...

Without question O'Reilly, for the exact reasons you mention. If you were to create a scapegoat in a lab, it'd look something like O'Reilly with the type of player he is, the contract, the trade, and the drunk driving. Runner up is probably Kane, especially if Armia and/or Myers really take off in the Peg.

I look at it differently.  I do not plan to have a scapegoat because I view this roster like a start up company or a beta product.  Transitioning from the whiteboard to the marketplace brings with it a lot of uncertainty.  Adjustments will need to be made, changes in focus and asset allocation.  I have set simple milestones: offensive improvement, defensive improvement, and a more aggressive and quicker style of play.  Playoffs isn't a measurable because too many things are out of the control of the organization.  It can also be a false positive in that making the playoffs in a down year might not be correlated to overall improvement of the team but a weaker than normal market.  The Sabres have earned patience from me for two to three more years, and I am investing for the long term.  YMMV

It's not really about you though 3putt, it's about who the fanbase as a whole will jump on.  If I had to choose one, it would be one of the defensemen, they're usually the one.  I kind of want to say Weber, but he's not high enough profile, so I guess that makes it Gorges.

It's not really about you though 3putt, it's about who the fanbase as a whole will jump on.  If I had to choose one, it would be one of the defensemen, they're usually the one.  I kind of want to say Weber, but he's not high enough profile, so I guess that makes it Gorges.

Gorges will be the new Weber.  Playing nowhere near his talent level and doing the best he can = alllll the hatred.  Get ready for lots of posts like "Guess who was on the ice AGAIN for YET ANOTHER opposing goal?  Yup, you guessed it: Josh Gorges."

Gorges will be the new Weber.  Playing nowhere near his talent level and doing the best he can = alllll the hatred.  Get ready for lots of posts like "Guess who was on the ice AGAIN for YET ANOTHER opposing goal?  Yup, you guessed it: Josh Gorges."

Yep, this is where I'm leaning too.

Most of the other guys have to play below expectations to qualify.

Gorges just has to meet them.

Any of Gorges, Moulson or Foligno.

I expect nothing much from Gorges that I haven't seen already.  He's a seasoned veteran filling a spot on the roster and not a part of the long term future.

Moulson is arguably in that same boat except that I think he will do well this year on one of the top two lines with talented, dynamic and imaginative linemates.

Foligno is a mystery to me.  He has the tools to be an impact player but only occasionally makes an impact.  Perhaps with the talent infusion MARCUS FOLIGNO WILL BE FINE, but I think he's actually the top candidate for scapegoat.

Edited by Robins Egg

I voted Bylsma.  If they are terrible in Oct/Nov I think the media gives a pass to the young players and instead goes after the coach "talent is here, wtf".  Especially since at first glance he's got that Darcy / Pommers / etc way of answering questions... "blah blah blah" vs Lindy or Nolan or GMTM who seem thoughtful and sincere in answers.

Player wise, I agree w/ Gorges, or maybe Kane if he's not producing.

I think it will be Marcus, as I expect a bit of regression this season.  I think he will be fine, but this year is a transition year and I think many of the younger players will have a bit of a trial by fire period, as the learning to win curve kicks into high gear.

I could have voted for any number of younger players that will be on the roster for the reason outlined above.

I voted Bylsma.  If they are terrible in Oct/Nov I think the media gives a pass to the young players and instead goes after the coach "talent is here, wtf".  Especially since at first glance he's got that Darcy / Pommers / etc way of answering questions... "blah blah blah" vs Lindy or Nolan or GMTM who seem thoughtful and sincere in answers.

Player wise, I agree w/ Gorges, or maybe Kane if he's not producing.

I think most people understand that with a new coach and so much roster turnover, that they are going to be bad in the beginning of the season while they try to find some chemistry.

I have absolutely not doubt in my mind it will be Moulson. Tell me he does not fit the bill in every way.....2nd liner, super nice guy, goes on long streaks without scoring, everybody loves him in the locker room - I mean, come on, it's a no brainer.

Edited by CallawaySabres

I have absolutely not doubt in my mind it will be Moulson. Tell me he does not fit the bill in every way.....2nd liner, super nice guy, goes on long streaks without scoring, everybody loves him in the locker room - I mean, come on, it's a no brainer.

Except Moulson actually knows how to put the thing in the thing consistently, and will do so again when he has a real center dishing him the puck.

I think Moulson or ROR. Moulson because his age and the style he plays.  ROR because the style he plays, most won't really notice the subtilities to his game.

:lol: I first read that as subtitles — which the uneducated fan might need to appreciate him.

Its never about me  :flirt: .  But scapegoat implies blame and I ask "blame for what?"  Any individual play can have a scapegoat.  A loss can have many.  If the question is who will people project their frustration on if their expectations for the playoffs are not met? I will say Murray.  I think Eichel will get a pass and Samson will be the target of alot of angst as he goes through his NHL growing pains on a nightly basis.  

The one that will probably be chosen by the largest %age of the fanbase: Foligno (closely followed by a D, most likely Gorges, but if he gets any 2nd pairing minutes Weber could retain the D-goat title).

The one that will receive the loudest calls: Lehner. People love to hate their starter, especially whe they feel he cost too much to bring in in the 1st place.

No data yet on which one will be my personal choice, as all my old ones are gone, though unfortunately I fully expect to have 1.

I think most people understand that with a new coach and so much roster turnover, that they are going to be bad in the beginning of the season while they try to find some chemistry.

True.  But if the chemistry doesn't develop, say by December(?), and he's spewing cliches in his presser, I think media are going go hard at him.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.