And this year's scapegoat is...?

dudacek

Who do you think will be this year's whipping boy?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be this year's whipping boy?

• Dan Bylsma
    • Robin Lehner
    • Josh Gorges
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Evander Kane
    • Jack Eichel
    • Ryan O'Reilly
    • Matt Moulson
    • Marcus Foligno
    • The sixth defenceman

Without question O'Reilly, for the exact reasons you mention. If you were to create a scapegoat in a lab, it'd look something like O'Reilly with the type of player he is, the contract, the trade, and the drunk driving. Runner up is probably Kane, especially if Armia and/or Myers really take off in the Peg.

I'd like to think we are self-aware enough as a fan base of our "scapegoat choosing ways" to the degree that, if O'Reilly continues to perform in the consistent way he has been, fans will appreciate the job he's doing. He was such a highly publicized and analysed addition, there's really no excuse for fans to not be aware of what we are getting. If he under performs in relation to his usual standards, or if one was unimpressed by his talents in the first place, it would be more understandable, but failing that, he is a known commodity.

I'll go with Gorges, for the reason dudacek mentioned.

Its never about me  :flirt: .  But scapegoat implies blame and I ask "blame for what?"  Any individual play can have a scapegoat.  A loss can have many.  If the question is who will people project their frustration on if their expectations for the playoffs are not met? I will say Murray.  I think Eichel will get a pass and Samson will be the target of alot of angst as he goes through his NHL growing pains on a nightly basis.  

I would have gone with the term "whipping boy".

Gorges will be the new Weber. Playing nowhere near his talent level and doing the best he can = alllll the hatred. Get ready for lots of posts like "Guess who was on the ice AGAIN for YET ANOTHER opposing goal? Yup, you guessed it: Josh Gorges."

I fully expect Pysyk to be handling the tough assignments sooner than later (assuming he's effective on the left side) which slots Gorges into the 2nd pair. If he fails miserably there, he'll deserve the criticism.

I'd like to think we are self-aware enough as a fan base of our "scapegoat choosing ways" to the degree that, if O'Reilly continues to perform in the consistent way he has been, fans will appreciate the job he's doing. He was such a highly publicized and analysed addition, there's really no excuse for fans to not be aware of what we are getting. If he under performs in relation to his usual standards, or if one was unimpressed by his talents in the first place, it would be more understandable, but failing that, he is a known commodity.

I'll go with Gorges, for the reason dudacek mentioned.

It's probably a case of familiarity breeds contempt, but this logic could have easily been applied to Stafford...and he remained a whipping boy to the very end. Edited by TrueBluePhD

I fully expect Pysyk to be handling the tough assignments sooner than later (assuming he's effective on the left side) which slots Gorges into the 2nd pair. If he fails miserably there, he'll deserve the criticism.

It's probably a case of familiarity breeds contempt, but this logic could have easily been applied to Stafford...and he remained a whipping boy to the very end.

Good point, although the streakiness of Stafford combined with his lack of physical play likely contributed to the disillusionment there as well, not to mention he was asked to play above his ideal role of a second line winger, whereas O'Reilly is none of those things, and is perfectly capable of fulfilling the first line centre role.

Winning also contributes to it as well, to a large degree. If O'Reilly is playing on a winning team the season after this coming one, and he's contributing 50/60 points and stellar defensive play, he's Drury, not Stafford.

Good point, although the streakiness of Stafford combined with his lack of physical play likely contributed to the disillusionment there as well, not to mention he was asked to play above his ideal role of a second line winger, whereas O'Reilly is none of those things, and is perfectly capable of fulfilling the first line centre role.

Winning also contributes to it as well, to a large degree. If O'Reilly is playing on a winning team the season after this coming one, and he's contributing 50/60 points and stellar defensive play, he's Drury, not Stafford.

All fair. I just think there's going to be a very vocal group who will never accept a 55-60 point player making $7.5m. And no, I have no idea how large that group will be, but I'm positive we'll know about them :lol:

All fair. I just think there's going to be a very vocal group who will never accept a 55-60 point player making $7.5m. And no, I have no idea how large that group will be, but I'm positive we'll know about them :lol:

My original post on the matter was probably too optimistic, that vocal group you are predicting is a pretty much guaranteed eventuality. ????

Any of Gorges, Moulson or Foligno. 

Moulson for sure. This is the year to show, and prove. Big money contract for little production.

I expect nothing much from Gorges that I haven't seen already.  He's a seasoned veteran filling a spot on the roster and not a part of the long term future.

Moulson is arguably in that same boat except that I think he will do well this year on one of the top two lines with talented, dynamic and imaginative linemates.

Foligno is a mystery to me.  He has the tools to be an impact player but only occasionally makes an impact.  Perhaps with the talent infusion MARCUS FOLIGNO WILL BE FINE, but I think he's actually the top candidate for scapegoat.

I believe big part of Marcus, and his issues as of late are due to injury. Not sure what his TOI has been while healthy, but with more minutes, I think he could make a bigger impact.

:lol: I first read that as subtitles — which the uneducated fan might need to appreciate him.

I saw all the Ts, and Is, and immediately thought titti@# :). Although, I knew he meant subtleties.

Edited by DirtDart

O'Reilly, Gorges, and Kane depending on performance of course. Gorges because he'll be slotted higher than his abilities and O'Reilly and Kane because of the expectations everyone has for them. Hopefully we'll play well enough that we don't need a punching bag to blame, but that remains to be seen.

I went with Marcus - Gorges could be right up there, but we can always blame the goalie if a bad goal goes in when Gorges is on the ice.  Foligno not only has to live up to the expectations the Sabres and their fans had for him from day one, now his brother is playing great and is team captain.  I'm sure that will bring a lot of family pressure to bear.  Time will tell how Marcus will react, but based on past performances it is more likely than not he will fall short. If he is still having issues later in the season, maybe he will be sent to join his brother if GMTM can swing a decent deal.

Edited by Sabre Dance

Evader - the combination of risk/reward and baggage/expectations is highest. Great exercise.

Is E Vader a cousin to Darth Vader?

Phooooooo. SSSTTTT

E.

Yes Darth.

Phooooo SSSSTTTT

I AM YOUR COUSIN

Yes Darth we talked about this already. Your Mom is my Mom's sister.

Phoooo SSSTTTT

E use the force to score at will.

Darth, how many time do I have to explain......

Is E Vader a cousin to Darth Vader?

Phooooooo. SSSTTTT

E.

Yes Darth.

Phooooo SSSSTTTT

I AM YOUR COUSIN

Yes Darth we talked about this already. Your Mom is my Mom's sister.

Phoooo SSSTTTT

E use the force to score at will.

Darth, how many time do I have to explain......

*sigh*

The season can't start soon enough.

Tru dat.

My sleep got all messed up because I crashed my bicycle Wednesday night.  Thought maybe I broke my wrist so the wife took me to the ER.  Didn't get home until 2 am.  Not broken but they splinted it (much more than was necessary, but hey, that's the ER for ya).  I got through Thursday at work, had Friday off and slept most of the day.  The wrist is doing better, just a sprain/bruise (turning nice pretty colors now), and the skinned knee is finally starting to scab over nicely.

But now my sleep schedule is now out of whack.  

Edited by Robins Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.