Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

I think I could argue it harms our community here. I mean hell, we have an entire thread dedicated to discussing how we treat new posters here, and the consensus time and again appears to be a desire to hold discussions, especially serious ones, to a high standard. 

Not every thread or subject receives this treatment. I readily recognize that. But a thread like this is exactly why we try to set a high bar here, isn't it? So that we can have the discussions that are difficult. And the things that we say and how we say them certainly matter, no? Not just to individual posters but to this whole community. 

I agree, setting high standards makes for a great forum. I just think at times it goes way too far. I'm not going to use examples but criticizing a poster because they swear, put somebody down, says something about their mother, belittle every point they make, etc.....  those are all worthy of criticism because there's no place for it. It defeats all purposes of civilized dialogue. What Wookie said wasn't out of line. I agree with him, I wish this was over so we don't have to talk about it anymore. I don't see how what was said could be considered outlandish and inappropriate. Politically correct? I don't want to get into a discussion about political correctness. But there is a difference between political correctness and childish, middle school name calling. This is a discussion board, we shouldn't have to be politically correct. Some things aren't pleasant to hear, it doesn't make them inappropriate. 

But, that's just me. Only because I think we've become way too politically correct. It is possible to have a civilized discussion without being politically correct all while not crossing the line. Part of that is not getting offended by what isn't intended to offend in the first place. (Not that I'm implying you said otherwise) 

If she agrees to a settlement, wouldn't that be part of the deal?  No testifying in criminal or civil court.

I assume any settlement offer included language that basically said, you don't speak of it, you give up all rights for further action, etc.  Accepting a settlement does keep her from testifying and the entirety of legal wrangling and such that will go with it.  Power to her to see it through.

I assume any settlement offer included language that basically said, you don't speak of it, you give up all rights for further action, etc.  Accepting a settlement does keep her from testifying and the entirety of legal wrangling and such that will go with it.  Power to her to see it through.

I agree

And now the worst has happened: her name is slowly starting to leak onto Twitter. Not good.

Oh god no. Twitter, while wonderful for many things, is a goddamned nightmare sometimes. 140 characters is just enough to say some horrible things and never explain a situation. I've been the passing target for angry gamergate goons for simply existing- that's vile enough. I can't imagine being this person. 

I hate that friggin' Twitter.

Nothing, repeat nothing, any good ever comes from it.

This is completely false. There's just a lot of terrible with the good.

Oh god no. Twitter, while wonderful for many things, is a goddamned nightmare sometimes. 140 characters is just enough to say some horrible things and never explain a situation. I've been the passing target for angry gamergate goons for simply existing- that's vile enough. I can't imagine being this person.

Luckily the tweets have been only attempts to identify her and not insult her... But we know those are coming. Argh. I reported the tweets in hopes of having them removed, but it's likely too late.

I hate that friggin' Twitter.

Nothing, repeat nothing, any good ever comes from it.

I'm not trying to be a pill. I do not understand the concept of "following" someone. Maybe that is because I have a hard time with the idea of someone "following" me.

I'm not trying to be a pill. I do not understand the concept of "following" someone. Maybe that is because I have a hard time with the idea of someone "following" me.

It's what you make of it.  I "follow" mostly hockey writers so it is a breaking news outlet for me.  Folks "follow" me for the witty nothingness.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.