Sabres Prospects 2015-2016

Hoss

I thought Fasching/Larkin (not Eichel/whoever) was the best combo on the US WJC team last year.

He's a big body and a good skater who goes to the dirty areas, with enough talent to play with Jack or Sam moving forward.

At worst, he's Mike Grier.

(Then again, I fell in love with Erik Rasmussen at the WJCs, so what do I know?)

Fasching has been terrific this year on a bad team. Wonder if we get him signed once Minnesota's season is over and give him a look towards the end of the year.

Hudson Fasching 6'2" 210lb RW.  He has 8g, 6a, 14pts in 15games in the NCAA.  I hope they sign him once the season ends and he leaves college for Rochester. Although, if they waited until the summer they would save a year on his entry level deal, not sure that really matters though.

Fasching could also stay at Minn for another year if he so decides. Looks like he has 1 year left of eligibility.

Edited by LGR4GM

Hudson Fasching 6'2" 210lb RW.  He has 8g, 6a, 14pts in 15games in the NCAA.  I hope they sign him once the season ends and he leaves college for Rochester. Although, if they waited until the summer they would save a year on his entry level deal, not sure that really matters though.

Fasching could also stay at Minn for another year if he so decides. Looks like he has 1 year left of eligibility.

It's an interesting question:  what would be better for him?  Another year of NCAA hockey, or turning pro and playing next year in Rochester?  And would what's best for him be the same as what's best for the Sabres? 

Most NHL people would probably prefer to get him into the Sabres' organization ASAP -- but plenty of good NCAA players have hit the NHL ground running after coming from the NHL.

It's an interesting question:  what would be better for him?  Another year of NCAA hockey, or turning pro and playing next year in Rochester?  And would what's best for him be the same as what's best for the Sabres? 

Most NHL people would probably prefer to get him into the Sabres' organization ASAP -- but plenty of good NCAA players have hit the NHL ground running after coming from the NHL.

I don't watch NCAA hockey often if at all so I have no idea what he looks like. If he is dominating most games, I say move on. If he is just good most games, that is a tougher decision.

I think if he gets to the end of next year in the NCAA, he becomes a UFA, right? So for the Sabres it seems like it'd be better to get him signed sooner than that in case he decides to wait out the last few months, finish school, and sign with whomever he likes. As for his personal development, I'd tend to say that being among the oldest players in the NCAA is less valuable that playing in Rochester full-time with a look or three with the Sabres.

Is Hudson the prospect that is very close to his sister who has a disability? Or is that story incorrect/someone else's? That might affect what he does next year, no?

Both his brother and sister, in fact. Here's an old article that details his family ties. An excerpt:

Hudson’s younger brother Cooper, 14, and sister Mallory, 13, each suffer from a mitochondrial disorder that leaves them unable to walk or speak, requiring around-the-clock care.

Shannon handles the majority of care-giving, with help from Rick and visiting nurses, but Hudson always took an active role in helping out with his younger siblings as well.

“[Hudson] could do near anything a nurse could do with Cooper and Mallory,” Rick says. “He knew how to feed, how to give them medicine. The nice part was, and remember he’s a teenager, not once in the 15 years did he ever complain. Not a once. To me, as a parent, those are the things that make it special.”

Knowing that he had a lot of responsibility within his family, Hudson’s decision to stay in Burnsville and continue playing high school hockey or leave home for the unfamiliar surroundings of Ann Arbor was far from an easy one.

I've been able to catch a couple Fasching games on TV this year and I've been very impressed, especially by his physicality and netfront presence. I am admittedly newer to the sport of hockey than most of you guys, so I won't make any proclamations about his overall game because I'm simply not qualified to. I've enjoyed seeing all of your thoughts on him. Just thought I'd say he seems like a great kid and I've loved seeing him succeed so far this year.

Edited by Franklin

I think if he gets to the end of next year in the NCAA, he becomes a UFA, right? So for the Sabres it seems like it'd be better to get him signed sooner than that in case he decides to wait out the last few months, finish school, and sign with whomever he likes.

This rarely happens.

Both his brother and sister, in fact. Here's an old article that details his family ties. An excerpt:

I've been able to catch a couple Fasching games on TV this year and I've been very impressed, especially by his physicality and netfront presence. I am admittedly newer to the sport of hockey than most of you guys, so I won't make any proclamations about his overall game because I'm simply not qualified to. I've enjoyed seeing all of your thoughts on him. Just thought I'd say he seems like a great kid and I've loved seeing him succeed so far this year.

One thing I noticed is his speed is highly dependent on the opposition.  Against a fast team he plays quick.  against a slower team he plays slower.  I think if he signs, and I think he will time in the AHL may be needed to show him that there are no slow teams anymore.

Welcome!

And if you're watching college games on TV, you are absolutely qualified to post, and post often.

Keep 'em coming.

Most of the highly regarded college guys who were draft picks wind up gone at the latest by the end of their junior year.  A few do wind up staying longer, but it isn't all that common.

Its not common but there have been at least one high profile guy the each of the last couple of years. Hayes signing with Rangers instead of Chicago two years ago, that defenseman that Calgary drafted that I think signed with Minnesota.....

This rarely happens.

Most of the highly regarded college guys who were draft picks wind up gone at the latest by the end of their junior year.  A few do wind up staying longer, but it isn't all that common.

Right, it rarely happens because the guys end up signed after 1-3 years and before the 4th year. So in this case with Fasching on year 3 now, I'd expect to see him signed end of this year.

Good stuff and thanks for the info. Welcome aboard!