Sabres Prospects 2015-2016

Hoss

Admittedly limited viewings, but I've never seen the high skill level people speak of and Petan wasn't the only intriguing prospect left that year.

Hagg, Santini and Bowey were three solid defenders still on the board that would certainly strengthen our pool.

He could still develop (Hurley), some players take four years of college to develop properly.  It's not an encouraging pick, but honestly the worst pick so far has been Cornel to me.  I'm baffled by that selection.  Olofsson and Possler may have more upside than Bailey and Baptiste.  (Still too early to tell).  

Edited by TheCerebral1

The only thing I didn't like about it was Nic Petan was still on the board, and every time Craig Button talked about Petan his eyes would get really big, like he had seen the baby Jesus. 

I say this knowing precisely zero about both Hurley and Petan, but Craig Button strikes me as a bit of a nut case.

I enjoy Button. I wouldn't put him in charge of my scouting department, but he is fun to follow.

He seems to pick one guy each year to rank 10 spots lower than everyone else, and another guy 10 spots higher than everyone else has him.  Didn't he drop Hanifin out of his top 10 at some point?

Everything about the NBA is worse

You are far from the only one here who feels this way, but the NBA is indisputably smarter than the NHL in one critical aspect:  regularly tweaking the rules to increase offense.

The NHL has a big problem with declining scoring, and it gets worse every year.  The NBA (and the NFL) don't allow that to happen.

Your capacity for imagination is shockingly low considering all the time you've spent on here.

Get off my lawn!

You are far from the only one here who feels this way, but the NBA is indisputably smarter than the NHL in one critical aspect: regularly tweaking the rules to increase offense.

The NHL has a big problem with declining scoring, and it gets worse every year. The NBA (and the NFL) don't allow that to happen.

Yep the NHL is so backwards. They keep changing rules that make it harder to score. they have all these wonderfully talented players only to suffocate them with bad officiating and stupid interpretations of rules they try to enforce. First things first. Get rid of the ridiculous goalie equipment. Secondly, start calling all the interference and stupid stick work I see every second of every game. It worked in 2005, for half a season.

The only thing I didn't like about it was Nic Petan was still on the board, and every time Craig Button talked about Petan his eyes would get really big, like he had seen the baby Jesus. 

It'll be tough for Petan to crack an NHL lineup for an extended period of time. There is a reason he went where he did, he's absolutely minuscule. There's always Gaudreau, but he's fighting a very uphill battle. Particularly in the West.

He could still develop (Hurley), some players take four years of college to develop properly.  It's not an encouraging pick, but honestly the worst pick so far has been Cornel to me.  I'm baffled by that selection.  Olofsson and Possler may have more upside than Bailey and Baptiste.  (Still too early to tell).  

I still think Cornel was a decent pick. He's put up reasonably good numbers and did just get named to the OHL team for the Canada Russia Junior series. He was a second round pick. Who knows with these guys.

I can't believe people are critiquing nhl draft picks. Could there be a bigger crapshoot?

This x100. So many of these picks are a shot in the dark.

Craps perhaps?

This was really good though :lol:

He(meaning Button) seems to pick one guy each year to rank 10 spots lower than everyone else, and another guy 10 spots higher than everyone else has him.  Didn't he drop Hanifin out of his top 10 at some point?

Having Hanifin too low isn't a big problem. It's what everyone remembers, but it turns out to be a terrible method of judging a draft board. It ends up that rating a player too high is what kills you.

Let's look at 2013 as an example, it will help me explain. Let's say you are picking 8th, and your board looks like:

1. MacKinnon

2. Drouin

3. Jones

4. Barkov

5. Monahan

6. rakish

7. Ristolainen

8. Nich

So your board looks OK, except for thinking I'm the 6th best prospect, because when you pick 8th, you end up with me, never a good thing.

Now let's look when Button misses a couple low.  In this example, Button's board looks like:

1. Drouin

2. Jones

3. Ristolainen

4. Zadorov

98. MacKinnon

102. Nich

Now, you look at this, and it looks crazy, because it's obvious that MacKinnon isn't the 98th best prospect, but in the end Button gets Risto, it really doesn't matter that he had MacKinnon too low.  So in this example, your board is more reasonable, but your one miss, rating a bad player too high, kills you, Button's couple of good players rated too low has no effect.

Button is in my draft contest.  He's competitive because he doesn't rate bad picks too high.  When you look back at Central Scouting, they have terrible results because they will have a couple bad players too high, and it kills them (they also have good players rated too low as well).

Having Hanifin too low isn't a big problem. It's what everyone remembers, but it turns out to be a terrible method of judging a draft board. It ends up that rating a player too high is what kills you.

Let's look at 2013 as an example, it will help me explain. Let's say you are picking 8th, and your board looks like:

1. MacKinnon

2. Drouin

3. Jones

4. Barkov

5. Monahan

6. rakish

7. Ristolainen

8. Nich

So your board looks OK, except for thinking I'm the 6th best prospect, because when you pick 8th, you end up with me, never a good thing.

Now let's look when Button misses a couple low. In this example, Button's board looks like:

1. Drouin

2. Jones

3. Ristolainen

4. Zadorov

98. MacKinnon

102. Nich

Now, you look at this, and it looks crazy, because it's obvious that MacKinnon isn't the 98th best prospect, but in the end Button gets Risto, it really doesn't matter that he had MacKinnon too low. So in this example, your board is more reasonable, but your one miss, rating a bad player too high, kills you, Button's couple of good players rated too low has no effect.

Button is in my draft contest. He's competitive because he doesn't rate bad picks too high. When you look back at Central Scouting, they have terrible results because they will have a couple bad players too high, and it kills them (they also have good players rated too low as well).

I don't know how big a bong hit you took before this post but keep it coming