Sabres Prospects 2015-2016

Hoss

Quoting myself because it's easier.  LGR, you're still wrong about several things and you don't listen very well.  And you're the one who started this whole kerfuffle with one of your patented hissy fits.

I've said this many times.  Once again:  All 6 of these players were drafted in 2014.  The same as Lemeiux.  That excludes Bailey.  Now, these are the first 6 guys, including Lemieux who are still in the OHL.  Most that were drafted in 2014 that were in the OHL at the time have moved on to the NHL and/or the AHL.  This is the apples to apples comparison you've been ranting about.  Same age, same league, same experience, same draft.

#1 is Michael Dal Colle drafted #5 overall (NYI)

#2 is Brandan Perlini drafted #12 overall (ARI)

#3 is Josh Ho-Sang drafted #28 overall (NYI)

#4 is Brendan Lemieux drafted #31 overall (BUF, now WPG)

#5 is Ryan MacInnis drafted #43 overall (ARI)

#6 is Eric Cornel drafted #44 overall (BUF)

A few things that stick out to me:

I'd take Lemieux, MacInnis, Ho-Sang, Cornel, Dal Colle, and Perlini in that order.

Arizona out tanked us to this point easily.

The Islanders suck.  It's a close call between Cornel and Ho-Sang for me.  Cornel is getting better, Ho-Sang is declining and he's had issues.

We gave up a hell of a prospect on a trade that looks more and more dubious as time goes on.

Cornel could be a gem, but will Tim keep him around?

The Dal Colle numbers are stunning but I'm thinking he must be battling an injury or something.  He had a great season last year (over 90 points).  I really liked everything I knew about MacInnis that year so nice to see he's doing well.  Ho-Sang was intriguing that year too.

Cornel still seems like a long shot to me.

Quoting myself because it's easier. LGR, you're still wrong about several things and you don't listen very well. And you're the one who started this whole kerfuffle with one of your patented hissy fits.

I've said this many times. Once again: All 6 of these players were drafted in 2014. The same as Lemeiux. That excludes Bailey. Now, these are the first 6 guys, including Lemieux who are still in the OHL. Most that were drafted in 2014 that were in the OHL at the time have moved on to the NHL and/or the AHL. This is the apples to apples comparison you've been ranting about. Same age, same league, same experience, same draft.

I'd take Lemieux, MacInnis, Ho-Sang, Cornel, Dal Colle, and Perlini in that order.

The Islanders suck. It's a close call between Cornel and Ho-Sang for me. Cornel is getting better, Ho-Sang is declining and he's had issues.

We gave up a hell of a prospect on a trade that looks more and more dubious as time goes on.

GMTM WILL BE FINE

So in a couple months, our prospect pool is likely to look something like this:

2016 1st-round pick

Hudson Fasching

Brendan Guhle

Linus Ullmark

Will Borgen

Nick Baptiste

Justin Bailey

2016 2nd-round pick

Cal Peterson

Cornel/Karabacek/Hurley/Carrier/Dupuy/some pick or prospect Murray acquires at the deadline

So, one blue-chipper, a couple of B prospects, and a lot of C or C+ guys

Pretty much a middle ten list, IMO, unless our first pick ends up much lower than it currently looks.

Considering the quality of our under-25 NHL roster, I'd say we're still in pretty good shape here.

People like to say Murray traded away our depth, but there are still six 2nd-rounders from the past three years in the system.

Our 2nd rounders the last three drafts are: Guhle (so far, so good), Lemieux (great prospect, but traded), Cornel (???), Karabacek (long shot at this point), Compher (good prospect, but traded), Connor Hurley (long shot), and Bailey (he'll need a lot of time in the AHL).

That's not the greatest group.  I'm hoping for big things from Guhle and I'm hoping for the best from Cornel and Bailey.  Not expecting much from Hurley and Karabacek really. 

Our 3rd rounders and later from the past three years are maybe more interesting: Borgen, Stephens, Estephan, Johanssen, Martin, Oloffson, Baptiste, Petersen (!!!), Possler, and Florentino.  

GMTM WILL BE FINE

We shall see.  As I've been saying, the early returns are not promising in my view.  Arizona, assisted by Darcy, has done a better tank/rebuild than us to this point, and we've had two #2 picks.

Our 2nd rounders the last three drafts are: Guhle (so far, so good), Lemieux (great prospect, but traded), Cornel (???), Karabacek (long shot at this point), Compher (good prospect, but traded), Connor Hurley (long shot), and Bailey (he'll need a lot of time in the AHL).

That's not the greatest group.  I'm hoping for big things from Guhle and I'm hoping for the best from Cornel and Bailey.  Not expecting much from Hurley and Karabacek really. 

Our 3rd rounders and later from the past three years are maybe more interesting: Borgen, Stephens, Estephan, Johanssen, Martin, Oloffson, Baptiste, Petersen (!!!), Possler, and Florentino.  

I'm pretty much in agreement with this.  I'm higher on Cornel than you after doing the research.

I like the promising lower draft picks, but will they pan out?  When?  Will GMTM trade too many of them for the next apple of his eye?

Quoting myself because it's easier.  LGR, you're still wrong about several things and you don't listen very well.  And you're the one who started this whole kerfuffle with one of your patented hissy fits.

I've said this many times.  Once again:  All 6 of these players were drafted in 2014.  The same as Lemeiux.  That excludes Bailey.  Now, these are the first 6 guys, including Lemieux who are still in the OHL.  Most that were drafted in 2014 that were in the OHL at the time have moved on to the NHL and/or the AHL.  This is the apples to apples comparison you've been ranting about.  Same age, same league, same experience, same draft.

The Islanders suck.  It's a close call between Cornel and Ho-Sang for me.  Cornel is getting better, Ho-Sang is declining and he's had issues.

You see how everyone disagreed with you for 3 pages. It's because you said some total and got called on it. Constantly targeting me and trying to deflect doesn't make you right.  You still can show me where I "made stuff up" either because I didn't. 

You clearly can't or don't want to understand the original point which was Lemieux is not as good as a top 10 pick in this draft.  He's a good prospect. I have literally posted that several times now. Hell at this point idk what you are arguing?  Trading him makes GMTM suck? Makes that trade super lopsided? You think he will be a top 3 player?  What?  What is your point about Lemiuex?  I didn't like the Kane trade much when it happened and I don't like it much now. 

How has Arizona out tanked us?  In what way?  Because they have 2 2nd round guys on that list?

Also no ones analysis includes Possler or Oloffson, two guys who I think could factor in. Can't wait til they get to NA.

The other 2nd-rounder from 2013 in the system is Carrier.

You're right that none are setting the world on fire ATM, but 2nd-round picks are what they are.

Doubt many more teams have more than six in their system from the past three years.

The point is that Murray's trades haven't gutted our prospect pool.

WGR guys challenged Murray today on the Sabres thinner pipeline.

He responded by pointing to the youth on the team right now.

Then he said Bailey's size/skill combo is exciting, Baptiste has quick enough hands and feet to play in the NHL, Ullmark has a chance to be a top-10/15 NHL goalie, Fasching could be playing pro right now and Guhle, Stephens and Borgen are athletes. He then emphasized how they are focusing on athletes.

Towards the end of this clip:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/112574351/1-15-tim-murray-with-schopp-and-the-bulldog.htm

He said he could trade our kids to move six spots up in the standings right now.

Edited by dudacek

You see how everyone disagreed with you for 3 pages. It's because you said some total ###### and got called on it. Constantly targeting me and trying to deflect doesn't make you right.  You still can show me where I "made stuff up" either because I didn't. 

You clearly can't or don't want to understand the original point which was Lemieux is not as good as a top 10 pick in this draft.  He's a good prospect. I have literally posted that several times now. Hell at this point idk what you are arguing?  Trading him makes GMTM suck? Makes that trade super lopsided? You think he will be a top 3 player?  What?  What is your point about Lemiuex?  I didn't like the Kane trade much when it happened and I don't like it much now. 

How has Arizona out tanked us?  In what way?  Because they have 2 2nd round guys on that list?

Also no ones analysis includes Possler or Oloffson, two guys who I think could factor in. Can't wait til they get to NA.

Lemieux will be a 4h liner and would be lucky to be a 3rd line player. He'll make the NHL but if he plays on the 3rd line, that is a bonus. Also, Armia is a much better prospect and a better piece to that trade than Lemieux. Analyzed today, that trade doesn't look good on Murray.

Edited by Ducky

WGR guys challenged Murray today on the Sabres thinner pipeline.

He responded by pointing to the youth on the team right now.

Then he said Bailey's size/skill combo is exciting, Baptiste has quick enough hands and feet to play in the NHL, Ullmark has a chance to be a top-10/15 NHL goalie, Fasching could be playing pro right now and Guhle, Stephens and Borgen are athletes. He then emphasized how they are focusing on athletes.

Towards the end of this clip:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/112574351/1-15-tim-murray-with-schopp-and-the-bulldog.htm

He said he could trade our kids to move six spots up in the standings right now.

I'd still like to know what other prospect pool would still be great if you graduated players the caliber of Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, Jake McCabe and, to an extent, Mark Pysyk. I'm not particularly worried.

Unlike some others, though, I'm willing to take draft picks for some of our lower-level vets in order to build up the safety net of a good pipeline.

Unlike some others, though, I'm willing to take draft picks for some of our lower-level vets in order to build up the safety net of a good pipeline.

I agree. keeping the pool constantly replenished is essential in the salary cap world.

I'd still like to know what other prospect pool would still be great if you graduated players the caliber of Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, Jake McCabe and, to an extent, Mark Pysyk. I'm not particularly worried.

Yea, I'd consider our pipeline to be normal right now. It's only depleted relative to what it was, not the rest of the league.

I know he'll probably get some games at the end of this year, but is there any chance he's up all next season?

Murray seems to think he's ready to play in the NHL now.  I think they'll give him every chance to make the team next season.

Only problem with giving him games at the end of this year is burning the first year of his contract.  Not sure it'd be worth it.

Murray seems to think he's ready to play in the NHL now. I think they'll give him every chance to make the team next season.

Only problem with giving him games at the end of this year is burning the first year of his contract. Not sure it'd be worth it.

9 games with no repercussions, no?

9 games with no repercussions, no?

That is true but a lot of times college kids sign with the stipulation that their 3 year entry level contract kicks in right away. I believe, that is why Jake McCabe is an RFA after this season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/jake-mccabe/

I agree that the prospect pool isn't that deep any longer but with the age of the main roster I really don't see it being an issue - especially if you add a top 5 pick to the list in June.

`

I really hope GMTM signs Drake Caggiula as a college free agent. He's been electric for North Dakota and was in dev camp with the Sabres last offseason.

also his name is awesome, we need more awesome names on the Sabres.... Rasmus Ristolainen, Samson Reinhart, Drake Caggiula.