Sabres Prospects 2015-2016

Hoss

Hockey's future has their updated list of the NHL's top prospects, Sabres take 2 of the top 5 spots:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/

Thanks for posting this. I'm always interested in hearing their breakdowns.

Jack Eichel (2) and Sam Reinhart (4) are the only players listed in the top-50 prospects. None of the players or picks the Sabres traded this offseason are in the top 50 either.

The Sabres page itself is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/buffalo_sabres/

Edited by Hoss

It's based on games played (I can't remember exactly, but I think it's something like Calder eligible = prospect). They'll "graduate" after this season.

Yup. Officially, they don't have any NHL seasons under their belts yet, so they are still considered prospects by that site. It's obvious with Eichel, but this is still technically Reinhart's rookie season.

Yup. Officially, they don't have any NHL seasons under their belts yet, so they are still considered prospects by that site. It's obvious with Eichel, but this is still technically Reinhart's rookie season.

It's technically Eichel's rookie season too, so not sure what you mean.

It's technically Eichel's rookie season too, so not sure what you mean.

That it's obvious it's Eichel's rookie season.

Yes, this. Maybe poor wording on my part. Thanks, Swamp.

I know they have a set game limit, but in my mind, a teenager like Ekblad, even with that Calder under his belt, is still a prospect.

A good point. It is rather an arbitrary distinction. I guess they have to draw the line somewhere, though.

A good point. It is rather an arbitrary distinction. I guess they have to draw the line somewhere, though.

Their line makes perfect sense though and I have no problem with it.  Ekblad still has a lot of growing to do though.  I do expect big things from him, but it's a crazy league and you never know what's going to happen.  The last teenage defenseman to win the Calder comes to mind immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless he sees some kind of astronomical jump in his development, no way does he become a top-6 player. Right now he's trending to maybe a depth guy.

This. I would be shocked if he's ever an nhl player but obviously gmtm knows a lot more about the player and took him high enough. He just looks brutal every game I've seen him live.

Unless he sees some kind of astronomical jump in his development, no way does he become a top-6 player. Right now he's trending to maybe a depth guy.

I'm just hoping he has some trade value as a mid level prospect when the Sabres become buyers at the trade deadline.

Edited by tom webster

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of waiting to post this so I understand if it gets ignored, but I was watching the Kings are really hope the hiring of GMTM means we've got a future similar to them. GMTM takes pride in being a big-time draft nut. He is. He's made some picks in his first two drafts that kind of made people wonder what he saw that others didn't, but we'll see in time whether those were good moves...

But the Kings have supplemented their trades and top-end talent with some great draft picks.

Tanner Pearson is still young but an improving young talent. Drafted with the final pick of the first round in 2012.

Tyler Toffoli is a budding star who they got with the 47th pick (second round) in 2010.

Alec Martinez has a Stanley Cup-winning goal and has been a steady performer for them on the back end. 4th round (95th overall) in 2007.

There are some other examples that are guys who have been great role players (like Kyle Clifford), but they've hit big one their later first or mid-round picks which can often be a crap shoot but is a key to continued success. Not only does it help you fill your roster long-term, but it's a huge help towards managing the cap.

There's obviously some hope that we've dipped into that draft success by landing Hudson Fasching who they drafted in the 4th round (118th in 2013). Brendan Guhle (2nd round, 51st), Eric Cornel (2nd round, 44th), Vaclav Karabacek (2nd round, 49th), Brycen Martin (3rd round, 74th) and Victor Olofsson (7th round, 181st) are a few names that could end up playing well above their draft status. Everybody but Olofsson and Martin were guys that some questioned when the picks were made.

Obviously another major key to the Kings players above ending up having success has been the coaching and stepping into a situation where their roles were clearly defined behind some Cup winners and great leaders... Hopefully by the time some of these guys are in the lineup they're stepping into a similar role.

I made the mistake of waiting to post this so I understand if it gets ignored, but I was watching the Kings are really hope the hiring of GMTM means we've got a future similar to them. GMTM takes pride in being a big-time draft nut. He is. He's made some picks in his first two drafts that kind of made people wonder what he saw that others didn't, but we'll see in time whether those were good moves...

But the Kings have supplemented their trades and top-end talent with some great draft picks.

Tanner Pearson is still young but an improving young talent. Drafted with the final pick of the first round in 2012.

Tyler Toffoli is a budding star who they got with the 47th pick (second round) in 2010.

Alec Martinez has a Stanley Cup-winning goal and has been a steady performer for them on the back end. 4th round (95th overall) in 2007.

There are some other examples that are guys who have been great role players (like Kyle Clifford), but they've hit big one their later first or mid-round picks which can often be a crap shoot but is a key to continued success. Not only does it help you fill your roster long-term, but it's a huge help towards managing the cap.

There's obviously some hope that we've dipped into that draft success by landing Hudson Fasching who they drafted in the 4th round (118th in 2013). Brendan Guhle (2nd round, 51st), Eric Cornel (2nd round, 44th), Vaclav Karabacek (2nd round, 49th), Brycen Martin (3rd round, 74th) and Victor Olofsson (7th round, 181st) are a few names that could end up playing well above their draft status. Everybody but Olofsson and Martin were guys that some questioned when the picks were made.

Obviously another major key to the Kings players above ending up having success has been the coaching and stepping into a situation where their roles were clearly defined behind some Cup winners and great leaders... Hopefully by the time some of these guys are in the lineup they're stepping into a similar role.

Kind of funny because as I'm sitting here watching the game in thinking that this team really needs two things to happen to really take a step up. Z really needs to step up to what I thought he would be and it needs one "surprise" forward to come out of nowhere.

Kind of funny because as I'm sitting here watching the game in thinking that this team really needs two things to happen to really take a step up. Z really needs to step up to what I thought he would be and it needs one "surprise" forward to come out of nowhere.

Olofsson could be that type. But he's not going to have many fans among the diehards because he's small (under 6'). I'm a huge fan of Fasching. I think he's going to be the type that isn't necessarily a top-six forward but is a mainstay in your top six because of the way he plays and ability to benefit from the creators around him.

I'm not a huge fan of Cornel or Karabacek. Or Connor Hurley. Bailey and Baptiste would be less "out of nowhere" since we've seen their big improvements the last few years, but they could get their shot within the next year/year and a half.