Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

I didn't see what you saw. I saw a kid struggling positionally that wasn't quite ready yet.

And I would argue his struggles were mostly due to a lack of hustle and desire to engage. It was plain as day to me. He wasn't out of position because he didn't know where to be, he just didn't seem to care if he got there or not.

GO SABRES!!!

Lack of prep or lack of experience?

Mostly maturity (the hockey variety), but Nolan didn't help. I think Zadorov needed another full year in junior and probably a year in the AHL to really learn how to play defense at a high level. He and his agent strong arming his way to the NHL too soon didn't so him any non-financial favors.

I totally disagree. Zadorov had no idea what he was doing out there.

What can I say? I saw a player going through the motions for long periods in those last twenty games and I don't confuse that with simply not knowing what he was doing. Especially when he had played much better previously. You can't hide lack of effort behind lack of experience. Not hustling to a puck is not hustling to a puck.

Not hustling to clear a man is not hustling to clear a man.

GO SABRES!!!

What can I say? I saw a player going through the motions for long periods in those last twenty games and I don't confuse that with simply not knowing what he was doing. Especially when he had played much better previously. You can't hide lack of effort behind lack of experience. Not hustling to a puck is not hustling to a puck.

Not hustling to clear a man is not hustling to clear a man.

GO SABRES!!!

I didn't watch closely enough to really comment on Zadorov's case, but one person's "not hustling to the puck" is another's "should I be going for that puck or maintaining my position? is the forward going to cover for me if I go after the puck? , too much thinking.". I think we'll need to see how (if) Zadorov comes out of the AHL before we know the answer to that for sure.

• 1 month later...

I thought O'Reilly was only a 3rd line player? I'm sorry, I try, but sometimes the snark comes through despite my best efforts :p

I'm not sure if I'm suffering for confirmation bias or just that O'Reilly is just this good. (Just kidding, it's the latter)

I was under the impression that there was no longer such thing as an illegal curve.

If that's the case, it's new for this season. '14-'15 rulebook still has a 3/4" max on blade curvature.

[Edit: Nope, rule is still there in the '15-'16 rulebook as well.]

Edited by Taro T

If that's the case, it's new for this season. '14-'15 rulebook still has a 3/4" max on blade curvature.

[Edit: Nope, rule is still there in the '15-'16 rulebook as well.]

The most interesting article on illegal sticks that you'll ever see:  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-Stewart/Whither-Goest-Thou-Illegal-Stick-Penalty/196/57604

The most interesting article on illegal sticks that you'll ever see:  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-Stewart/Whither-Goest-Thou-Illegal-Stick-Penalty/196/57604

Didn't know Shero had used Stewart to help track stick measurements. Did know he had a staffer (Nykoluk apparently) do it. Stewart was apparently more interesting than I'd given him credit for.

Good read. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

That play was lucky. They replayed it during the game from a different angle, and he tried a pass that was never going to make it through, and was on the ice, but a defender kinda chopped it up in the air/had it ride up his stick and it happened to fall perfectly for Legwand. Still an awesome pk play, but the fact that it ended up anywhere near Legwand was luck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.