Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

Bruce Arthur columnist from the Toronto Star, who is not a fan of Buffalo in any way, shape or form, had this tweet on Friday

@bruce_arthur: Somewhere, Mike Babcock may soon wish that Buffalo's downtown condo-and-shops-and-restaurants community had been stronger

Also The Sabres should use this as their entrance music when Babcock and The Leafs are in town.

O'Reilly, Girgensons, Kane, and Ristolainen. Gionta & Gorges probably. Eichel is very likely to be like this as well. Ristolainen going up to GMTM and wanting to win/questioning the tank must of really impressed GMTM because he never forgets to mention him in interviews when asked about defense. That was our biggest problem since 2007, we had the skill and the talent but the sheer unwillingness to lose wasn't there; Miller had it, but he couldn't score but he certainly did his damnedest in the playoffs. Once these guys mesh, and with the other high character players inside the locker room, they should truly be a tough team to play regardless if its game 1 or game 100.

What is this story?

I agree with ROR. Give him 8 years and lets move onwards

I wonder if Babcock was lamenting a poor decision friday at the draft and looking at what GMTM has accomplished so far ? Nah. I doubt it. But maybe just a bit ?

If Babcock can win a cup with the Leafs...well he is a hockey legend for all time (or more of a legend). They'll write ballads about him. I can see him being hesitant as Buffalo certainly seem closer, but I can see why he chose the Leafs, and it wasn't because they are likely to contend for the cup this year or next.

Ristolainen going up to GMTM and wanting to win/questioning the tank must of really impressed GMTM because he never forgets to mention him in interviews when asked about defense. That was our biggest problem since 2007, we had the skill and the talent but the sheer unwillingness to lose wasn't there; Miller had it, but he couldn't score but he certainly did his damnedest in the playoffs. Once these guys mesh, and with the other high character players inside the locker room, they should truly be a tough team to play regardless if its game 1 or game 100.

Ristolainen has been very impressive in his short career. All his numbers should take a significant jump this season now that he will have legit forward support. 

Well he has to give him a huge contract, otherwise we loose all those prospects for nothing.

I think if Murray wasn't prepared to pay for ROR, confident he could sign him, he would not have made the trade. If by the deadline ROR isn't signed, Murray I think would be perfectly comfortable trading his ass. I don't think it will come to that.  By the end of August, ROR will have his extension. 

The man wants to be paid, and should someone really be upset that he had the opportunity in 2013 to sign an offer sheet while a terrible GM was still in office in Jay Feaster.  It really has stemmed back from this.  He puts his game full court and led the team in take away's last year.  He draws well, he skates well, he's a team guy and I've loved him since he came in.  He will be locked up, otherwise Tim Murray looks like a buffoon.  We all know that he'll pay the "brass tax", to get what he wants done.  He's our Bergeron potentially at the ripe age of 24.

It's a new era in Buffalo, that's for sure.  :beer:

I still think we need a name for Friday; is it just Eichel Day?

How 'bout "Great Friday?"

I think it's pretty simple: a good number of fans resent when athletes quibble with teams over money. Think about how Byrd was vilified here for wanting to be paid commensurate with his performance.

ryan-o-reilly.jpg

This is a picture of O'Reilly after the game 7 loss to the Wild. Notice other players have already hung up their pads and bounced, while he's sitting there staring at the floor in full equipment. Anyone who thinks he's all about the money couldn't be more wrong. Reading some stuff from Avs fans, I don't know how anyone could help but love this guy. Stories about staying after games to work out, using a tire to practice his saucer passes, just pure blood and guts to go with the skill. Give him the 8 year contract and never look back.

It's not impossible that the hockey gods have decided that 8 years in the wilderness is enough of a punishment for Black Sunday and have given us another Drury.

I wrote in another thread that I thought that the Sabres had a lot more leverage to get better deals in the ROR and Lehner trades.

Now that we have made the ROR trade (and have given up a lot for two guys who have one year left on their deals and one of those guys has serious back issues), we have very little leverage in negotiating the ROR extension. In fact, probably no leverage whatsoever. We essentially paid a premium to the Avs to take on their risk in getting a deal done.

I really hope (given the above) that ROR wants to extend and stay in Buffalo, the Sabres and ROR agree to a fair value, and ROR plays up to his contract.

This has been a nagging worry in the back of my mind since they made the deal.

But...

They had already agreed on the framework from what I heard, and they knew what he had asked the Avs for. There is virtually no chance they made the trade without knowledge from both sides this would get done.

ROR on WGR right now

Said he expects his contract extension to be wrapped up quickly

@WGR550: O'Reilly says he expects a possible long term deal could be done "Fairly soon"

Boom!

It's not impossible that the hockey gods have decided that 8 years in the wilderness is enough of a punishment for Black Sunday and have given us another Drury.

But...

Boom!

Maybe I am naive, but I never looked at RoR as a greedy/selfish player in all of the contract negotiations. He just wanted to be paid equivalent to his comparable worth around the league. I don't think he will want to jack up his price if the Sabres are offering what he thinks is fair, especially since doing so will hurt this team long-term in their ability to keep the other young pieces assembled.

It was a problem in Colorado beacuse they wanted a big discount like Landeskog and Duchene gave due to their internal cap.

(BTW I took a Sports Economics class in college and ever since I always side with the player in most contract disputes. It is often their one chance to maximize their worth in a sports market where once injury or poor season greatly impacts their future earning potential.)

But...

Boom!

I think we have no less than four Drurys  now in the forms of Girgensens, ROR, Reinhart, and Eichel. 

There is just no overstating the importance of that kind of character in the room. You either follow or get the phuck out of the way and if you don't get with the program soon, you'll be gone. 

If I had to guess who'd be the first to do the Drury boombox toss, I'd say O'Reilly though. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.