Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

I've seen people listing the previous players taken at 21 and using it as a defense of this trade.  I'm not a big fan of that approach due to the crap shoot nature of the draft, especially after you get beyond the top 5 or so.  As you get deeper into drafts, I prefer to look at a 3-5 pick bubble around your pick to see how it has done historically.  So out of random curiosity I decided to look at the most recent guys taken 22nd overall.  It sure does paint a different picture than the list of #21 that was posted on here before.  Take a look:

2014: Kasperi Kapanen

2013: Emile Poirier

2012: Olli Maatta

2011: Tyler Biggs

2010: Jarred Tinordi

2009: Jordan Schroeder

2008: Jordan Eberle

2007: Max Pacioretty

006: Claude Giroux

Yes, this doesn't mean much at all, I just found it interesting.

That article concludes with:

"Verdict: The Senators got what they wanted out of the deal - a first-round pick and some financial relief - and that's enough to get the nod over Buffalo. If Lehner turns out to be great, or even good, then the Sabres won't have any regrets, but paying a first-round pick and taking on salary seems like more than it would cost to acquire some of the other goaltenders that are known to be available this summer. Consider this the price of Sabres GM Tim Murray getting his guy."

Talent to me is more important than salary.

We are 11 million under the floor.  We have a billionaire owner.  If we have to take on some additional salary to get better I'm for that.

With that being said, not sure why some think Legwand is a lock to make the team just because he makes $3 million.  He can be cut, sent down to AHL, or even traded.  Whether his salary goes towards our floor might even help us in the end since we are more concerned about talent then acquiring players with high salaries.

In the Sabres case, because they had to take a $3 million player actually give them the advantage in the trade, not disadvantage.

help me out here: was Talbot demanding a steeper price before or after the Lehner trade ?

Probably before, which is why Murray went to Lehner.

No, they weren't.  He made a choice to do that.  Remember "Suffering"?

Of course, the Sabres got cold feet and decided to fire everyone and hire old fan favorites (Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine) to fix things right away but it's not like sucking wasn't the plan.

So far Murray's two best moves are drafting Reinhart and Eichel -- the two critical parts of Regier's plan.

Evander Kane and Bogosian don't factor in ?

Your clouded hate for TM is affecting your ability to reason

His ability to trade away a guy like Moulson and get him back for nothign doesn't figure in ?

He made great moves loading us up with more top draft picks as well, and he is using those assets to bring the team out of the cellar sooner that later. I'm more excited for Sabres hockey future than I have been in awhile

Something I am turning over and over in my head, and it is helping: Don't worry about whether you think your team "won the trade." Instead, ask yourself if you like the way team is shaping up.

We were asset rich. We are increasingly less so. It was time to deploy those assets to build a contender.

Onward!

Tim murray said he really wanted legwand, and not just to get to the capfloor.   I find that part hard to believe.

Really? The quote I read was legwand was part of the deal. Take it or leave it

I'm pretty sure GMTM said that the ultimatum on Legwand came from Brian Murray, not GMTM.

GMTM also said he doesn't know Legwand at all -- so it's pretty unlikely that TM was the one demanding that Legwand be included.

No, they weren't.  He made a choice to do that.  Remember "Suffering"?

Of course, the Sabres got cold feet and decided to fire everyone and hire old fan favorites (Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine) to fix things right away but it's not like sucking wasn't the plan.

So far Murray's two best moves are drafting Reinhart and Eichel -- the two critical parts of Regier's plan.

Evander Kane would like a word with you.

Listened to GM TM's press conference. I'm back in equilibrium. 

The fact that Talbot is demanding a steep(er) price makes me feel better.

Onward.

Me too.

Evander Kane and Bogosian don't factor in ?

Your clouded hate for TM is affecting your ability to reason

His ability to trade away a guy like Moulson and get him back for nothign doesn't figure in ?

He made great moves loading us up with more top draft picks as well, and he is using those assets to bring the team out of the cellar sooner that later. I'm more excited for Sabres hockey future than I have been in awhile

Yes, I "hate" him.  It's very personal.   :rolleyes:

He traded away Moulson and got him back?  Shouldn't you be praising Regier for this?  He's the one that got Moulson added to the Vanek deal so that we'd have another asset to unload at the trade deadline.

Getting him back is mostly about cap space, ownership, and Buffalo being a great hockey city.

I'm pretty sure GMTM said that the ultimatum on Legwand came from Brian Murray, not GMTM.

GMTM also said he doesn't know Legwand at all -- so it's pretty unlikely that TM was the one demanding that Legwand be included.

Me too.

Still think Reinhart and Eichel are the key guys.

So ultimately, we traded Vanek for Moulson, Lehner, Legwand, and a 2nd round pick... I thought looking at it this way would make me feel better about the trade, but it doesn't!!

I think it's also fair to factor in the return for Moulson at the deadline (2 second-rounders). 

Me too.

Legwand is a pending UFA next season, so maybe they keep him around, hope he puts up some decent numbers, then flip him at the deadline to a contender for a 2nd or 3rd or bag of pucks or whatever. 

If he's terrible in camp, just cut him and use environmentally harmful fracking bucks to eat the contract.

Here's what I know..

GMTM gets paid to evaluate talent and build a team. He decided that Lehner was the guy that would solve a problem for a value he was willing to pay.  For that, I can't hate on the guy.  He's decisive. The price being too steep also should take into account the other options available and whether any of them presented the same upside for solving the problem.

In short, were there other goaltenders, now, or in the next year or two that were going to solve the Sabres goaltending problems at a price that was less than what was just paid?

We don't necessarily know the answer to that right now.

The concussion thing is, for me, the biggest concern.  I'll hope like crazy that he comes out of this okay.

When September gets here I'll be more inclined to judge Murray on his job performance.

Just for reference on the 21st pick:

http://puckjunk.com/2015/06/26/re-imagining-the-1990-nhl-draft/

A redraft of (supposedly, I'm no expert on that sort of thing) one of the best drafts in the history of the league, with a 20 year head start of knowledge on all the prospects and their future careers, and with the 21st overall pick the Bruins end up with a defender I almost remember. I know there's more to drafting than just picking the 21st best player in the draft at 21, but still. Perspective.

"Suffering" is responsible for drafting both.  Let's not pretend Regier wasn't the guy who finally did what needed to be done to make it happen.  Murray only finished the job.

Tim Murray did a lot of things to ensure we finished last twice including trading ever able body gt we had.

"Suffering" is responsible for drafting both.  Let's not pretend Regier wasn't the guy who finally did what needed to be done to make it happen.  Murray only finished the job.

As much of a murray fan I am, Regier layed most of the groundwork for this.  But doubt Regier would have made the trades murray has.

One upside here: Lehner is a bit of a crazy hot head with a lot of Patrick Roy in him!  

He's been involved in several edgy incidents in his young career so far.

Check this first class entertainment out!

Edited by Kruppstahl

As much of a murray fan I am, Regier layed most of the groundwork for this.  But doubt Regier would have made the trades murray has.

He definitely would not have.  But he would have made other trades.  Maybe he had another Drury trade in him, or a Dumont/Gilmour.  I don't think it's impossible he would have finally made some big trades.

Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN

With Robin Lehner off the board, teams pushing on remaining goalies in play. Clubs interested in Cam Talbot: CGY, EDM, DAL, FLA and SJS.

Let the overpaying begin.

Thank God we aren't a part of that.

It began a few hours ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.