Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

My response to this trade then and now was we paid to much.

I have zero problem with Lehner since he arrived. It’s not his fault TM gave him guys like Kulikov, Gorges, Falk, Franson and other garbage to play in front of him.

I also think it is time for Lehner to move on. Ullmark is younger, cheaper and probably better.

My response to this trade then and now was we paid to much.

I have zero problem with Lehner since he arrived. It’s not his fault TM gave him guys like Kulikov, Gorges, Falk, Franson and other garbage to play in front of him.

I also think it is time for Lehner to move on. Ullmark is younger, cheaper and probably better.

My disagreement with your statement is this:  There are none of those guys in front of him in the shootout.  He's actually been okay when garbage has been in front of him, but I don't think he's ever won a shootout as a Sabre (has he?)

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:  when i first read this waking up.

Then i took a shower and thought, If Lehner turns out to be our #1 goalie for the next ten years this is good deal and we are out of overpaying for RoR rumours.

Then i was thinking, with #18 and #21 and the capspace we gave a division rival, Ottawa can now go after RoR :sick:

To make it worse I'm now thinking what A list prospects murray will give up for RoR.

hmm seems this was my first post about it, guess I didn't like it either and Lehner certainly isn't out future in goal.

And I'm still a bit pissed we gave up compher in that RoR deal.

My disagreement with your statement is this: There are none of those guys in front of him in the shootout. He's actually been okay when garbage has been in front of him, but I don't think he's ever won a shootout as a Sabre (has he?)

Shootouts are a small % of games. They also involve our guys actually scoring, which they don't. Even if we won some shootouts we'd have what 3 more points. We'd still be in 29th place.

Just think of how much better his confidence would be in all situations if he wasn't facing 80 shots a night. Also a better D and some scoring would lead to more regulation wins and even less OT and shootouts. Face it, no goalie would look good playing for us. I'm not saying Lehner doesn't have his faults or is our future goalie or that the trade didn't suck, but he is the least of our problems.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Shootouts are a small % of games. They also involve our guys actually scoring, which they don't. Even if we won some shootouts we'd have what 3 more points. We'd still be in 29th place.

Just think of how much better his confidence would be in all situations if he wasn't facing 80 shots a night. Also a better D and some scoring would lead to more regulation wins and even less OT and shootouts. Face it, no goalie would look good playing for us. I'm not saying Lehner doesn't have his faults or is our future goalie or that the trade didn't suck, but he is the least of our problems.

Shootouts are a small % of games, true, but it's THE part of his game that disqualifies him as a goalie in my mind.  With Robin Lehner in goal, if we go to a shootout, we lose.  Period.  That's unacceptable.

Shootouts are a small % of games, true, but it's THE part of his game that disqualifies him as a goalie in my mind.  With Robin Lehner in goal, if we go to a shootout, we lose.  Period.  That's unacceptable.

He's been in what, 1 shootout this season?   

Does the team play differently in front of him in OT because they mentally believe he won't win a shootout?

No I think they just suck.

Here are our OT and SO numbers for the last 3 years

2015-16

OT - 4-4

SO - 2-7

2016-17

OT - 6-6

SO - 2-6

2017-18

OT- 3-8

SO 0-1

Lehner

OT - 5-12

SO - 0-7

Johnson

OT - 3-4

SO - 2-3

Nilsson

OT - 3-2

SO - 2-2

Ullmark

OT - 2-0

SO - 0-2

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Or just let the OT go. How long can it possibly last beyond five minutes? (Famous last words.)

The shootout itself takes at least 5 minutes to complete, so why not just add 5min of 2-on-2... then 1-on-1 for 5min, ending in a goalie fight at center ice if it's still not decided.

The shootout itself takes at least 5 minutes to complete, so why not just add 5min of 2-on-2... then 1-on-1 for 5min, ending in a goalie fight at center ice if it's still not decided.

This is the best idea you've ever had. I will print and mail to the NHL. It is worth a stamp. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.