Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

"Suffering" is responsible for drafting both.  Let's not pretend Regier wasn't the guy who finally did what needed to be done to make it happen.  Murray only finished the job.

So now you're giving Darcy credit because he finally tanked two years too late after he let MacKinnon slip through his fingers?  Your misery is a strange and powerful force.

I'm glad that Murray is proactive in trades and goes after players he wants but overpaying for these players is just plain dumb. That's why I have a feeling Hodgson and Grigrenko will both be moved for next to nothing when both should be given a shot under a new coach. Not a fan of buying Hodgson out if they still plan to. Let's see what he does this year and if he plays poorly then u move him or buy him out

So now you're giving Darcy credit because he finally tanked two years too late after he let MacKinnon slip through his fingers?  Your misery is a strange and powerful force.

He tanked late, but he did tank.  And he had the guts to say flat out, "Suffering" is coming.  Pegula eventually fired him for that, I think.  

It's honestly bizarre to me that we're thanking Murray for Reinhart and Eichel.  Regier is the architect of the Tank.

One upside here: Lehner is a bit of a crazy hot head with a lot of Patrick Roy in him!  

He's been involved in several edgy incidents in his young career so far.

Check this first class entertainment out!

Good stuff.

I think when the dust settles and the ammo is live this fall, there is a good chance that most of us here are going to like Lehner.

Only thing making me feel better about this is I work with a Sens fan who is not thrilled with the trade.  He says Lehner is big and has a ton of potential.  He's worried it will come back and bite Ottawa with him staying in the division.

Good stuff.

I think when the dust settles and the ammo is live this fall, there is a good chance that most of us here are going to like Lehner.

I think we all want to like Lehner.  I just don't see the urgency to get him.  Pretty much every goalie we had last year had a good stretch and our problem definitely wasn't in net.

I think we all want to like Lehner. I just don't see the urgency to get him. Pretty much every goalie we had last year had a good stretch and our problem definitely wasn't in net.

You either get him now or you never get him.

He tanked late, but he did tank.  And he had the guts to say flat out, "Suffering" is coming.  Pegula eventually fired him for that, I think.  

It's honestly bizarre to me that we're thanking Murray for Reinhart and Eichel.  Regier is the architect of the Tank.

Tim Murray has as much to do with the tank if not more than DR.  Miller, Ott, Moulson, Neuvirth, Enroth, all jettisoned to ensure us Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart.

Good stuff.

A certain contingent in Ottawa is speaking fondly of him right now, and that's always a good sign.

Then again, the fan base in Philly was really upset when they lost Leino to us in free agency!

:w00t:

Murray moved every single GT on the roster and traded for an injured Kane to complete the Eichel tank.  Methinks if Darcy were at the helm we'd be trying to figure out how we're going to build a contender with Strome and Reinhart as our top two centers.

It's honestly bizarre to me that anybody is still talking about Darcy.  Let alone in a positive light.

A certain contingent in Ottawa is speaking fondly of him right now, and that's always a good sign.

Then again, the fan base in Philly was really upset when they lost Leino to us in free agency!

:w00t:

Time will tell if it was a good trade or not, but like hoss said, it was get him now or get him never kind of deal.

If hammond doens't pan out in Ottawa with an aging anderson, this might have been a bad day for the senators.

Tim Murray has as much to do with the tank if not more than DR.  Miller, Ott, Moulson, Neuvirth, Enroth, all jettisoned to ensure us Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart.

I'm pretty confident the plan Regier put into motion included moving Miller, Ott, and Moulson.  (Regier literally asked the Isles to include Moulson in that package so that he'd have another guy to trade at the deadline.)

Credit to Murray on following through and not trying to "win now" but what you described above is still Regier's plan.

Murray moved every single GT on the roster and traded for an injured Kane to complete the Eichel tank.  Methinks if Darcy were at the helm we'd be trying to figure out how we're going to build a contender with Strome and Reinhart as our top two centers.

It's honestly bizarre to me that anybody is still talking about Darcy.  Let alone in a positive light.

Because his plan got us Reinhart and Eichel.

No idea if we still finish 30th without the trade for Kane, but I imagine Regier would have been unloading guys left and right this past season to help it along.

I'm pretty confident the plan Regier put into motion included moving Miller, Ott, and Moulson.  (Regier literally asked the Isles to include Moulson in that package so that he'd have another guy to trade at the deadline.)

Credit to Murray on following through and not trying to "win now" but what you described above is still Regier's plan.

Murray still executed the plan.  Every move he made this year was his own move. I don't believe for a 2nd that DR would not have put Sam Reinhart in the lineup full time and tried to win last year. With how Phoenix and Toronto tanked we would have finished 4th or 5th and had to rely on the lottery. 

One upside here: Lehner is a bit of a crazy hot head with a lot of Patrick Roy in him!  

He's been involved in several edgy incidents in his young career so far.

Check this first class entertainment out!

He is a volcano.

Lehner's crazy helicopter dad was big into MMA and pushed the crap out of him.

He also mentored Henrik Lundqvist.

For a good sense of what we just acquired, I highly recommend you guys read the two-part article I linked earlier in the thread.

Just in case it got lost in the reaction to the trade.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/tough-love-robin-lehner

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/net-gains-for-lehner

Edited by dudacek

When the guy tells you "Suffering" is coming and then two 30th place seasons happen, what part of that is confusing?

You assume DR was prepared to tank twice.  I will bet you money that Sammy Reinhart would have played 82 games in Buffalo and we would not have traded the goalies we did.  That alone would have been just enough to keep us from tanking this year. That is how close this race was.

You assume DR was prepared to tank twice.  I will bet you money that Sammy Reinhart would have played 82 games in Buffalo and we would not have traded the goalies we did.  That alone would have been just enough to keep us from tanking this year. That is how close this race was.

Well, we can't really bet money on what would have happened in an alternate dimension.

You may be right about Reinhart since the Grigorenko thing was such a debacle.  Or maybe the team would have learned a thing or two from it.  

I do assume Regier would have been willing to tank twice though.  I figure he'd realize that there's no benefit to trying to get out of 30th with McDavid and Eichel on the way.

Well, we can't really bet money on what would have happened in an alternate dimension.

You may be right about Reinhart since the Grigorenko thing was such a debacle.  Or maybe the team would have learned a thing or two from it.  

I do assume Regier would have been willing to tank twice though.  I figure he'd realize that there's no benefit to trying to get out of 30th with McDavid and Eichel on the way.

Your entire god given argument is based on an alternate dimension. In that dimension Regier acts like Murray and guts the team a second time to ensure tank success 2.0

I'm not going through that again.  Especially in an alternate world.

Your entire god given argument is based on an alternate dimension. In that dimension Regier acts like Murray and guts the team a second time to ensure tank success 2.0

Nope.  It's based in this dimension, where Regier enacted the Tank to land the high pick we had last year and the one we have tonight.

Because his plan got us Reinhart and Eichel.

No idea if we still finish 30th without the trade for Kane, but I imagine Regier would have been unloading guys left and right this past season to help it along.

Regier's plan also included having league historically bad teams, not just Buffalo historically bad teams. Regier's squad was 2-9-1 through 12 games and had been outscored 41-13. That team was on pace to be outscored 280 to 89. That team was TRULY outclassed awful and not just by the Blackhawks of the league.

That team was flat out unwatchable. Murray's squad, while still finishing dead last at least weren't '74 Caps bad. DR didn't have the cojones to risk anything - not even 29th rather than 30th. Murray ran on the ledge and still completed the course. Could you truly see DR not panicking along the way if he were running the show and last season had been playing out the way it did?

Of course Regier would have been helping the tank further along; it is EXTREMELY debatable whether he'd've been looking to pick up assets that would help in '15-'16. I doubt he would have. We KNOW Murray would because he did.

When the guy tells you "Suffering" is coming and then two 30th place seasons happen, what part of that is confusing?

Why are you still touting Darcy's final days positively?  He could've rebuilt this team without going through several years of sucking, but he didn't.  He sat on his hands and hoped the old rotten core would grow together and finally have success in the playoffs.  Darcy's "plan" wasn't to tank.  Darcy tanked after all other plans failed.

GMTM made a trade.  Talk about that.  Not Darcy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.