Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Doesn't one have to be on top first before they're back on top?  Or are you referring to their 1967 Stanley Cup?

Really think so? I refer you to the current state of the Devils franchise.

I assumed sarcasm.  My detector may be too sensitive.

And it's not like he has ties to that organization. His entire legacy has been built in the US. I thought I had heard some chatter in the last year or so of disagreements between him and the ownership, so maybe he really did just want out.

Has ties to Shanny.

I'd be interested in seeing what the assistant GMs reactions will be. Can't believe they're happy to have 1 extra layer to sell on their ideas.

Can't wait to see Babcock teach the Trap to Kessel. :doh:

Edited by Taro T

Has ties to Shanny.

I'd be interested in seeing what the assistant GMs reactions will be. Can't believe they're happy to have 1 extra layer to sell on their ideas.

Can't wait to see Babcock teach the Trap to Kessel.

babock leaving the leafs already to go to the penguins? When did that happen? Quest that's why Lou was brought in so he can take over as coach.....

Has worked with Babcock Team Canada should be ok. 

Ok. How come nobody called me out on this modern day press mistake? Has worked AGAINST Babcock! Man you peeps are slippin. I guess whatevs.

Has ties to Shanny.

Can't wait to see Babcock teach the Trap to Kessel. :doh:

The more I think about it, the more this move seems just like Rutherford to Pittsburgh.  He's there to mentor Dubas and I bet he's getting a nice paycheck to do so.

Edit: And I was going to question his ties to Shanahan given that he left that team about 70 years ago, but looking at his stats, I didn't realize he finished his career there.

Edited by shrader

While MB was certainly important to the Devils' success, those Cup winning teams were absolutely loaded with talent.

It also has to be noted that those Cup winning teams were before the salary cap and the last time they won it they had the 4th highest (IIRC) payroll in the league, I think it was around $52 or 54MM, while the Sabres were in the low $30MM range. I remember watching the Sabres playing them and thinking,"ya know, if we had a $9MM goalie and 2 more $5MM forwards (which was a lot at the time) we would be just as good as them."

The more I think about it, the more this move seems just like Rutherford to Pittsburgh.  He's there to mentor Dubas and I bet he's getting a nice paycheck to do so.

At first glance that would appear to make sense. This morning though I have heard the Devils play by play guy and now the Leafs play by play guy and they both said the same thing. Lou couldn't stand being on the sidelines and wants to be back in on the action daily.

That sounds to me like there will be head butting.

At first glance that would appear to make sense. This morning though I have heard the Devils play by play guy and now the Leafs play by play guy and they both said the same thing. Lou couldn't stand being on the sidelines and wants to be back in on the action daily.

That sounds to me like there will be head butting.

The writing is on the wall with the odd power structure in Toronto right now.  I can't for even a second believe that he is dumb enough to take that job and still expect to have total control.  Then again, I'm not really sure why a 72 year old would sign on for a job like that where this is going to be a long-term rebuild.  Ok, I can think of one reason: $$$$$

The writing is on the wall with the odd power structure in Toronto right now.  I can't for even a second believe that he is dumb enough to take that job and still expect to have total control.  Then again, I'm not really sure why a 72 year old would sign on for a job like that where this is going to be a long-term rebuild.  Ok, I can think of one reason: $$$$$

The other reason is legacy.

Bringing the cup to Toronto will be remembered long after any of his wins in New Jersey. Also there is that perceived "*" next to the Jersey teams with fans as the most boring hockey every played, but won cups. He's in it for ego.

Edited by Woods-Racer

LL is a coup for the Leafs

They'll be back in top in no time.

The Leafs just added one of the best GM's in NHL history to go along with one of the best coaches in the game today. Leaf fans have every reason to be excited.  Lou just had a team in the Finals four seasons ago. I don't see where loading up on quality hockey people can ever be a bad thing. The Leafs can have one hell of a 'Bring your Stanley Cup Ring to Work Day."

The Leafs just added one of the best GM's in NHL history to go along with one of the best coaches in the game today. Leaf fans have every reason to be excited.  Lou just had a team in the Finals four seasons ago. I don't see where loading up on quality hockey people can ever be a bad thing. The Leafs can have one hell of a 'Bring your Stanley Cup Ring to Work Day."

And Tiger Woods is one of the greatest golfers of all-time, and just won player of the year 2 years ago. Sure isn't doing much now though.

Except I root for Tiger. Not so much for the Leafs.