Grigorenko really to KHL?

mjd1001

Not sure if this was posted here and I missed it already:

The Buffalo Sabres are waiting to see if there's validity to the speculation that soon-to-be restricted free agent Mikhail Grigorenko is signing a contract in the KHL.

Grigorenko, 21, is coming out of his three-year, entry-level contract with the Sabres, having played 25 NHL games this past season and 68 over the last three seasons. The Sabres initially indicated to the player at season's end they wanted to re-sign him but, for now anyway, were not prepared to give him a one-way contract.

There has since been talk Grigorenko will opt to return home to Russia and take a more lucrative offer in the KHL rather than contest for a spot on the Sabres on a two-way contract next season.

Full article here: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mckenzie-on-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528 

If the Sabres were to retain his rights this could really work in the Sabres favor. Let him go to the KHL and learn the game. If he improves than sign him then.  

Exactly.

Grigorenko has a lot of talent, just needs to develop it. Vladamir Tarasenko played in the KHL before coming to the NHL. If Grigorenko were to stay in the NHL, he'd need to be with Buffalo where there is no room for him. So, as a result they would need to move him to the wing or possibly use him as a 4th line center which would do nothing for his development. Or, they could send him down to Rochester and risk some "tanking" team from picking him up on waivers, which from the comments Tim Murray just recently made with WGR, sounds like he is worried about that.

Exactly.

Grigorenko has a lot of talent, just needs to develop it. Vladamir Tarasenko played in the KHL before coming to the NHL. If Grigorenko were to stay in the NHL, he'd need to be with Buffalo where there is no room for him. So, as a result they would need to move him to the wing or possibly use him as a 4th line center which would do nothing for his development. Or, they could send him down to Rochester and risk some "tanking" team from picking him up on waivers, which from the comments Tim Murray just recently made with WGR, sounds like he is worried about that.

That could be the plan all along, I read somewhere that if they send him "down" to the KHL or any other lower league he'd have to pass through waivers.

But if he "bails" to the KHL , they keep his rights and he can perfect his game over there.

Still saying this a rumour that i don't see happening , kid always said he wanted to play in the NHL.

Edited by Heimdall

Not sure if this was posted here and I missed it already:

The Buffalo Sabres are waiting to see if there's validity to the speculation that soon-to-be restricted free agent Mikhail Grigorenko is signing a contract in the KHL.

Grigorenko, 21, is coming out of his three-year, entry-level contract with the Sabres, having played 25 NHL games this past season and 68 over the last three seasons. The Sabres initially indicated to the player at season's end they wanted to re-sign him but, for now anyway, were not prepared to give him a one-way contract.

There has since been talk Grigorenko will opt to return home to Russia and take a more lucrative offer in the KHL rather than contest for a spot on the Sabres on a two-way contract next season.

Full article here: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mckenzie-on-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528 

The Russian economy is in ruins these days, KHL is far from the guaranteed money it was a year and a half ago.

Exactly.

I'd say it all depends if we have any free agents or trades coming in over the summer. Having him play with the current roster makes no sense, but I'd like to see us add a few guys, then see how he does.

little paranoid about Zads now to be honest

He's not going anywhere. He has always said the NHL is where he wants to be. Not worried about him, at all.

I think Makarov's days are numbered with Ullmark coming over though.

Plus, he apparently had a Stanley Cup cake at his wedding...shows how much that means to the kid, can't win that in the KHL over in Russia.

Edited by Bob Malooga

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.