Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Sabres may have been checking out the possibility of trading for Stamkos prior to draft per Friedman.

However, approximately two weeks ago, a rumour made the rounds that there were trade talks involving Stamkos before the draft. (His no-move clause kicked-in days later.) The best intel I could gather is that it didn’t get close. Some sources indicate teams called Yzerman to ask. Others say the Lightning wanted to check the market in case they eventually had to do something. A few suspected Buffalo, because Sabres GM Tim Murray is unafraid to take bold steps. (Via text, Murray declined to answer and another source claimed it never really went anywhere.) The info is out there, but it’s very hard to pin down.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lightning-preparing-for-all-stamkos-possibilities/

Edited by BRAWNDO

Sabres may have been checking out the possibility of trading for Stamkos prior to draft per Friedman.

However, approximately two weeks ago, a rumour made the rounds that there were trade talks involving Stamkos before the draft. (His no-move clause kicked-in days later.) The best intel I could gather is that it didn’t get close. Some sources indicate teams called Yzerman to ask. Others say the Lightning wanted to check the market in case they eventually had to do something. A few suspected Buffalo, because Sabres GM Tim Murray is unafraid to take bold steps. (Via text, Murray declined to answer and another source claimed it never really went anywhere.) The info is out there, but it’s very hard to pin down.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lightning-preparing-for-all-stamkos-possibilities/

I'd be shocked if it went anywhere beyond some preliminary texts between the two (seeing as Eichel would have been a necessity for the Bolts), but that is still very interesting that Stamkos is even in that situation. I think the determining factor for his desire to leave or stay is how they treat him. He'll get paid anywhere, and wherever he chooses he'll likely win as he'll probably chose a contender, remain with the Lightening (contender), or be young enough to turn a team around; though IMO him leaving to a bottom team is extremely unlikely. Regardless, getting bottom minutes and no trust from your HC during a Cup run, when you're not only the captain but the face of the franchise and likely the best player to ever wear their sweater when it's all said and done, is garbage. 

I'm not giving much for Stamkos because I'm convinced he's going to Toronto if he leaves Tampa at all.

GM Babcock/Shannahan will throw insane money at him to lure him there. Plus, it's Toronto.

I definitely wouldn't trade for him, even if he wasn't a FA, but that's mainly because of where we are as an organization. Still, what does everyone think he fetches on the open market? $11+ mil/year? Is that too high for Tampa? Especially when they need to pay Hedman and Johnson (and others) in the upcoming years?

I think Stamkos wants out of Tampa. He doesn't get along with the coach and this is a terrible market for a star. This town thinks about hockey for 3 hours on game night. That is it.

I was in a sports bar during the Finals and i suddenly heard a loud roar. I thought i missed a goal. I did - Orlando scored in the soccer game half the place was watching.

Ducky -- how about Moulson and next year's #2 for Byfuglien?

I actually posted that as a joke but I don't think that is enough. I don't like his contract to be honest. Even if I did, it still isn't enough in my mind. I hope we re-sign him. Buff and Bogo are really into the outdoors but Kaner????????????? not so much. We have a LOT of 3rd pairing D men signed though. Pardy, Harrison, Enstrom, Chiarot, Stuart and if Morrissey makes the team, there will be way too many. Thing is, after Enstrom there is a considerable drop and we need a 1LHD or 2LHD sooner rather than later. I have heard that they are going to move Buff to the left side.

I think Stamkos wants out of Tampa. He doesn't get along with the coach and this is a terrible market for a star. This town thinks about hockey for 3 hours on game night. That is it.

I was in a sports bar during the Finals and i suddenly heard a loud roar. I thought i missed a goal. I did - Orlando scored in the soccer game half the place was watching.

http://thehockeywriters.com/report-steven-stamkos-was-shopped-wants-to-play-center/

Rumours floating around murray made a call with yzerman.   Anyways if he wants to play center we are the worst place to be at.

http://thehockeywriters.com/report-steven-stamkos-was-shopped-wants-to-play-center/

Rumours floating around murray made a call with yzerman.   Anyways if he wants to play center we are the worst place to be at.

this is the worst place to be at to play Centre if your not one of the leagues established superstars. Do people really think that for a franchise player like Stamkos he would not immediately step in as the #1 Centre?

this is the worst place to be at to play Centre if your not one of the leagues established superstars. Do people really think that for a franchise player like Stamkos he would not immediately step in as the #1 Centre?

Well, his current team wants him to play wing for the sake of Valteri Filppula, so it's not really insane. He probably would immediately be #1 here, but I doubt Cooper is the only coach and Yzerman the only GM who may like him more at wing.

I'd be shocked if it went anywhere beyond some preliminary texts between the two (seeing as Eichel would have been a necessity for the Bolts), but that is still very interesting that Stamkos is even in that situation. I think the determining factor for his desire to leave or stay is how they treat him. He'll get paid anywhere, and wherever he chooses he'll likely win as he'll probably chose a contender, remain with the Lightening (contender), or be young enough to turn a team around; though IMO him leaving to a bottom team is extremely unlikely. Regardless, getting bottom minutes and no trust from your HC during a Cup run, when you're not only the captain but the face of the franchise and likely the best player to ever wear their sweater when it's all said and done, is garbage. 

Bold move in this case is calling Stevie Y and asking, "Hey Steve, how you been? Wife and kids good? Get any golf in? Just curious about the bumper sticker your Aston Martin....." 

Guys, Murray calling because he heard Stamkos might be available is basically worthless.  GM's hear about guys being available and they call to see what is up.  If Murray didn't call he wasn't doing his job. 

yup, and Stamkos is 1C on almost any team on the planet. Him and McDavid would be downright scary.

ROR and Kane on the 2nd line.

Doubt he gets moved but if he does, it'll be a blockbuster.

What do you think Stamkos signs for? 10m? 11m?

Edited by Ducky

We have Jack Eichel not McDavid. In all honesty, I would put Stamkos on the 2nd line with Sam Reinhart and Zemgus.  Stamkos is a shooter.  That said I wouldn't want to trade what it would cost to acquire him.

Stamkos will sign for close to the max for 7-8 years. He's a solid 40+goal scorer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm bringing this back from the dead.  Does anyone think there's any chance that Murray pulls off a trade or two similar to what the Islanders did around this time last year?  I think our team is similar to that Islanders team in that we could be really competitive with a quality, veteran D-man or two added to the roster.  Even if we end up with "too many" D-men at times when guys come back from injuries, I think we're going to unfortunately deal with injuries to our defensemen all year based on the early indications.

We have the need, the cap room, and the assets to pull it off, and the Islanders gave up very little.  Anyone have any possibilities or likely candidates as all the teams head towards cuts and final rosters being established?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.