Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

It's getting a bit too big now. Pittsburgh is getting destroyed by giving up Malkin (top ten player), Hornqvist (top six winger) and Maatta (Risto-level prospect) while landing Girardi (solid top-pairing dman), Yandle (solid top-four guy with one year left) and Phaneuf (top four guy with a monstrous contract).

Something like:

NYR get: Malkin, PIT pick or prospect (not a 1st or top prospect)

PIT gets: Kessel, Girardi, Yandle, TOR 2nd

TOR gets: Hornqvist, Kunitz, 1st from NYR, NYR prospect

I like it, but I don't think the Leafs want Hornqvist. They'd much rather have Matta, though I'm not sure the Pens would part with him. 

Just keep in mind what the rookie Grigorenko did in the AHL this year.  If what Mantha did was impressive than what Grigs did was just as impressive.  I don't think he will go to the KHL with the Ruble in free fall and his two buddies here in NY.  Personally I think it might of simply been his agent keeping options open.  Wait and see time.  

I am almost completely indifferent on the "Grigorenko to KHL" thing. I would prefer to keep him, but if he has to clear waivers to play in Rochester, we will lose him anyway. And I'm not sure he has a role in the NHL, especially given Tim's comments about his expectations for Reinhart to play in the NHL. That would be a ridiculously young roster. So as others have mentioned, it may be best for all parties if he plays a few years in the KHL. Who knows? 

My gut says it is probably just a idle threat though. 

Idle threat or not, fact of the matter is, its hard to find a spot in the top 9 for him next year unless he makes such an improvement he pushes larsson and zemgus to the wing and takes the 2C spot.

Reason im such a fanboy  is because for me this was the first start of the rebuild for me , big skilled center, good on face offs and a fanbase that has been largely hard on him because of the expectations being put on him.

Edited by Heimdall

Grigs playing in the KHL wouldn't be the worst thing to happen for him and the Sabres.  A couple of years there and the Sabres will have a much better idea of if he will be an NHLer or not.  Grigs made huge strides last year and I expect he will again this year.  If he improves enough he could push Larsson and/or Girgs to wing or Reinhart may not be ready and end up in Rochester to open a spot as well.  He still has a ton of natural talent along with great size and it may just take another year or two to put it all together.  I think the Sabres would be smart to be patient even if that means he spends a couple of years in the KHL.

I've got a question hopefully one of the board experts here can answer. How long would Grigorenko have to stay in the KHL before the Sabres lose his rights altogether and he becomes a UFA if/when he decides to come back to the NHL? Is it the age when he would normally become a UFA, would the Sabres hold his rights indefinitely in North America, or is it a different time period altogether?

Edited by Drunkard

For all the posters that want to trade the world for a scrub like RoR, this is the type of trade we should focus on. But what would it take to get Nash? Does something like Larsson, the 21 pick, and Big Z get the conversation started?

For all the posters that want to trade the world for a scrub like RoR, this is the type of trade we should focus on. But what would it take to get Nash? Does something like Larsson, the 21 pick, and Big Z get the conversation started?

Love Nash, but I don't like his age. He's 31 tomorrow. I don't want him unless it is a clear bargain, or there is more coming back. 

This offer ends the conversation and makes the Rangers change their phone numbers.

Calling ROR a scrub is laughable. Saying we should focus on a 31 year old that will cost the farm versus guys like O'Reilly whose best years are ahead of them and are under 25 is questionable.

This offer ends the conversation and makes the Rangers change their phone numbers.

Calling ROR a scrub is laughable. Saying we should focus on a 31 year old that will cost the farm versus guys like O'Reilly whose best years are ahead of them and are under 25 is questionable.

Ridiculous

ROR is a legitimate Top 6 Forward on the right side of 25, who will sell in his prime when the team is ready to make a run. Nash is showing signs of slowing down and was a non factor for most of the playoff games, something that is unlikely to improve.

Buffalo is 2 years away (if everything goes right) from taking a look at a trade like this. I don't care how good the player is, stick with the youth plan and let's watch this team grow together. O'Reilly would seem like a perfect fit but obviously Z is the main piece there. Do we stock the top 6 or do we hold on to what we hope to be a young, nasty D with the youth? Those are the questions that good GMs get right so we'll see.

I'd give them Hodgson, they can buy him out if they wish, 31, 2016 2nd, and a B rank prospect for Nash.

My rationale is if they want to move him due to cap, not many teams have the space and would want a high skill player. Toronto/Arizona won't want to risk their tanks. After all he is 30 and more than likely will slow down, and we'd just transfer his money to Eichel in 3 years.

One could also fathom Buffalo merely taking part of his salary for something before he's sent elsewhere

Edited by thewookie1

Well honestly this site's love affair with RoR is what is questionable. The guy is slightly above average at best. In all honesty how hard you fought for the tank is how hard I'm willing to fight to keep RoR off this team lol.

Now I agree Nashs age is a problem, but the guy probably has 5more years of 30 plus goals in him. Really there are other players I would much rather go after than Nash. Toffoli and Oshie are the two i want to go after this summer.

You want Oshie but claim ROR is only slightly above average at best?

To be fair... Colorado isn't on national TV very much.

I'd give them Hodgson, they can buy him out if they wish, 31, 2016 2nd, and a B rank prospect for Nash.

My rationale is if they want to move him due to cap, not many teams have the space and would want a high skill player. Toronto/Arizona won't want to risk their tanks. After all he is 30 and more than likely will slow down, and we'd just transfer his money to Eichel in 3 years.

One could also fathom Buffalo merely taking part of his salary for something before he's sent elsewhere

Not every available trade is a cap dump. They aren't just dumping Nash for worthless pieces. Cmon. The guy just scored 42 goals. If they move him it's because they got a huge offer.

I seem to remember GMTM saying a month or 2 ago that he'd like to improve, quit the tank but expects the team to get another top pick next year. Bylsma saying recently that he didn't think picking up 1 piece this year to win a couple of more games was worth it and he wanted to give the young guys PT to see what they have. Neither remark sounds like a Nash trade coming together unless the Rangers are just dumping him and that seems unlikely for a 42G scorer. Just saying........ I just don't see them blowing up the rebuild to get 1 guy. Not at this time, maybe in a year or 2 but not now.

To be fair... Colorado isn't on national TV very much.

Not every available trade is a cap dump. They aren't just dumping Nash for worthless pieces. Cmon. The guy just scored 42 goals. If they move him it's because they got a huge offer.

The Rangers window for a Cup will be closed in about 2 years I believe so I am a little surprised they would be shopping him (rebuilding on the fly I suppose)?

Sorry, but where I live in Florida I seem to get a lot of Av' s games. Watched RoR about 20 to 30 times this year and the guy never impressed me. I will say he plays hard every shift, but other than that and his solid defensive game there is nothing that makes me want to give up an excessive amount of picks/prospects to get him. Oh yeah and 8mill a year.

The Oshie thing is because I feel he was made to be on Samson' s wing.

Actually, the only free agent I want this year is a goalie. Personally I want this team to stay young and develop together as a team. Then when this team is ready to make a playoff run we can start trading for guys like RoR. But for now stay the course and develop our prospects to see where they actually fit with this team going forward.

I would check out the asking price, but no thanks

Love Nash, but I don't like his age. He's 31 tomorrow. I don't want him unless it is a clear bargain, or there is more coming back. 

I agree. This is counterproductive. I'm not trading picks and/or prospects for an aging veteran. Granted he has a couple good years left but if I'm going to use assets it will gave to be for somebody on the other side of 30.

And if the Sabres by chance make the playoffs sooner than we think, I don't want to give up all those pieces to get somebody that disappears after game 82. 10 goals in 60 playoff games..... no thank you.

Sorry, but where I live in Florida I seem to get a lot of Av' s games. Watched RoR about 20 to 30 times this year and the guy never impressed me. I will say he plays hard every shift, but other than that and his solid defensive game there is nothing that makes me want to give up an excessive amount of picks/prospects to get him. Oh yeah and 8mill a year.

The Oshie thing is because I feel he was made to be on Samson' s wing.

Not trying to be a dick and pile on a newbie, but unless you have NHL Center Ice what Florida city has a TV station contracted to broadcast 20-30 Av's games every year? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.