Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I think the key part of Dudacek's point was about big contracts for fading stars. While I agree Chicago has done a great job choosing which players to keep to this point, I don't think what Dudacek said applies to them yet because Kane and Toews are still in their prime and to this point have been on very manageable contracts. I'll be curious to see what that team looks like when those guys are on the wrong side of 30 and taking up 25%-30% of the cap.

They did it with Hossa, but for whatever reason, he appears to be one of those Selanne-like immortals.  I guess he's not that old yet, but we should see very soon how/if his contract handcuffs them at all.

I wouldn't mind Sharp here either if he comes cheaply, 3 Cup Rings is nothing to scoff at and he'd fill that winger vacancy. 

My problem with any O'Reilly deal is the likely departure of Zadorov who'd I'd not be all that interested in departing with. Plus it would open a vacancy on defense that lacks a ready young defensive guy.

Presently we have:

Risto - NHLer

Zadorov - NHL-esc (he's sorta in-between AHL and NHL skill presently)

Pysyk - NHL ready

McCabe - needs more time to season in the AHL

Bogosian - he's like a weird old youngster, 

(Ruhwedal) - More of a borderline guy

Trading Zadorov would require us to acquire a new high end defensive prospect.

I wouldn't mind Sharp here either if he comes cheaply, 3 Cup Rings is nothing to scoff at and he'd fill that winger vacancy. 

My problem with any O'Reilly deal is the likely departure of Zadorov who'd I'd not be all that interested in departing with. Plus it would open a vacancy on defense that lacks a ready young defensive guy.

Presently we have:

Risto - NHLer

Pysyk - NHL ready

I'm betting Zadorov is in quite a few conversations.

Bylsma's  "He belongs in the NHL" comment seems a little....let's say....premature, based on past performance. If the right deal is on the board.

GMTM pulls the trigger.  

Presently we have:

Risto - NHLer

Pysyk - NHL ready

Not going to disagree w/ this. Many share the philosophy of building from the net out. Right now the Sabres are hurting in goaltending, and losing Zadorov, has decent potential, could hurt Buffalo. I'll admit I'm not too familiar w/ what Buffalo has stocked in the system (prospects). Should start checking out the site sabresprospects more often. Unfortunately, if Murray does want O'Reilly he'll have to trade Zadorov or McCabe. Risto is off limits. Sakic has already mentioned they want a young defenseman. Appears as if Grigorenko, even if there wasn't chance of him jumping for the KHL, would not be of any interests to Colorado. 

Not going to disagree w/ this. Many share the philosophy of building from the net out. Right now the Sabres are hurting in goaltending, and losing Zadorov, has decent potential, could hurt Buffalo. I'll admit I'm not too familiar w/ what Buffalo has stocked in the system (prospects). Should start checking out the site sabresprospects more often. Unfortunately, if Murray does want O'Reilly he'll have to trade Zadorov or McCabe. Risto is off limits. Sakic has already mentioned they want a young defenseman. Appears as if Grigorenko, even if there wasn't chance of him jumping for the KHL, would not be of any interests to Colorado. 

I think Murray's philosophy is building from the Middle down.  

I don't know how anyone can be concerned about goal tending when the Sabres just played 7 different scrubs this past season and all of them had a .930+ save percentage.

If there is one thing Ted Nolan's system was good at, it was padding stats for goalies.

They did it with Hossa, but for whatever reason, he appears to be one of those Selanne-like immortals.  I guess he's not that old yet, but we should see very soon how/if his contract handcuffs them at all.

Aside from being an alien, Hossa's contract is also one which cannot be duplicated.

Exactly. If they go the duration of Kane and Toew's new contracts without winning the Cup again isn't still worth it?

I don't think anyone said it wasn't worth it. The question is simply whether it's sustainable as those guys age.

I don't know how anyone can be concerned about goal tending when the Sabres just played 7 different scrubs this past season and all of them had a .930+ save percentage.

That was all system. One of the lone redeeming qualities of Nolan. We've got a better base on defense and better prospects than they have, but Edmonton is a shining example of what happens when you try to play a normal system but fill the net with nobodies.

I expect we'll have Lehner or Lack by the end of the draft. Then they'll either try to sign somebody or go with Johnson as the backup.

Edited by Hoss

Not when your timeline for the cup is three years away!! ;)

I don't expect them to make the playoffs next season, but I do want them to win their fair share of games and be competitive in games they lose. That's not happening with current goaltender situation. Not to nitpick but goaltending needs to be addressed this summer as a priority

That was all system. One of the lone redeeming qualities of Nolan. We've got a better base on defense and better prospects than they have, but Edmonton is a shining example of what happens when you try to play a normal system but fill the net with nobodies.

I expect we'll have Lehner or Lack by the end of the draft. Then they'll either try to sign somebody or go with Johnson as the backup.

I know it's likely he resigns in Minnesota, but I think if rather keep the picks either Lack or Lehner will cost and sign Dubnyk, or another of the free agent goaltenders. Edited by Lanny

Aside from being an alien, Hossa's contract is also one which cannot be duplicated.

I don't think anyone said it wasn't worth it. The question is simply whether it's sustainable as those guys age.

The original post suggested that it would lead to change which would suggest someone thinks it's not worth it. I think the Blackhawks have shown the way to navigate during the cap era. Obviously at some point they might have to make a hard decision with their stars but it looks like it is still years away.

I know it's likely he resigns in Minnesota, but I think if rather keep the picks either Lack or Lehner will cost and sign Dubnyk, or another of the free agent goaltenders.

If the reports about it costing a 2nd to get Lack are true then I could care less about a 2nd round pick. Crapshoot.

Lack's entering the last year of his deal, I'd rather just sign my own 28 year old goalie and use that pick elsewhere.

Interesting point here. is it too early to make the goalie move? It may be more prudent to see what the goalie market is in 2-3 years down the line when the rest of the roster is ready to do some serious winning. 

Presently we have:

Risto - NHLer

Pysyk - NHL ready

So if Nikita said, "Come, Wookie!  We get in my car and go to Russian nightclub with Nikita's babes!"  You wouldn't be interested in departing with him?

The reason I favour Lehner is that he is the only goalie of all those available that fits our age group and has a chance to grow with the team (assuming the reports of a Jones signing being imminent).

I'd rather draft Samsonov at 31 than trade that pick for Talbot or Lack.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.