Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Trade for Shattenkirk and Fowler (I would give up #8 for Shattenkirk, he's that good) and sign Soupy.  Problem solved.  Trade Bogo and #8 to EDM for #4 (if you don't trade #8 for shattenkirk), add Tkachuk.  Sign Vesey and Stamkos and a backup goalie and call it a great offseason

Trade for Shattenkirk and Fowler (I would give up #8 for Shattenkirk, he's that good) and sign Soupy.  Problem solved.  Trade Bogo and #8 to EDM for #4 (if you don't trade #8 for shattenkirk), add Tkachuk.  Sign Vesey and Stamkos and a backup goalie and call it a great offseason

No way the Edmonton moves down to 8 for that. Sabres would need to add 1 or 2 more pieces for the Oilers to even consider it. 

No way the Edmonton moves down to 8 for that. Sabres would need to add 1 or 2 more pieces for the Oilers to even consider it. 

Don't be so sure.  They prefer a Dman and it's too early to take one at #4.  You're underestimating Bogo - he's a sold 3/4 and was a #3 pick overall.  $5.1 cap hit isn't great but is market value.  I'm not sure we do it, depends if GMTM see that much more value in Tkachuk/Dubois than Serg, Chychrun/Keller.  He may not

The Sabres have backup goalies. What they need is a solid starter. Fleury may not be the best goalie in the NHL, he would be an upgrade on what the Sabres currently have. 

If the Sabres could sign Stamkos I think it helps league wide perception as much as it would on ice results. Like Mario Williams signing with the Bills. There would be great benefits down the road beyond adding a premier scorer. It would make signing the next guy a lot easier. 

What is the price tag for Campbell? 

I like Shattenkirk from my limited viewings. How is he defensively? The stereotype against offensive defenseman is that they can't play defense very well. But if true for him, might he be a better partner for Gorges than Risto, with fewer tough minutes? I'd still like to make another move then to get someone to play with Risto, and allow McCabe-Pysyk to be the 3rd pairing so McCabe can develop at his own pace and not be thrust into top minutes.

The Sabres have backup goalies. What they need is a solid starter. Fleury may not be the best goalie in the NHL, he would be an upgrade on what the Sabres currently have. 

If the Sabres could sign Stamkos I think it helps league wide perception as much as it would on ice results. Like Mario Williams signing with the Bills. There would be great benefits down the road beyond adding a premier scorer. It would make signing the next guy a lot easier. 

What is the price tag for Campbell? 

We don't know what the Sabres have.

I like Shattenkirk from my limited viewings. How is he defensively? The stereotype against offensive defenseman is that they can't play defense very well. But if true for him, might he be a better partner for Gorges than Risto, with fewer tough minutes? I'd still like to make another move then to get someone to play with Risto, and allow McCabe-Pysyk to be the 3rd pairing so McCabe can develop at his own pace and not be thrust into top minutes.

Shattenkirk is no slouch in the defensive zone. He's nothing particularly special, but absolutely solid enough to play the top pair.

Shattenkirk is a righty. This doesn't mean he can't play with Risto, but it's worth noting. Buffalo could look to have two legit pairings. They could then likely play McCabe with Shattenkirk and find a cheaper partner for Risto.

The increased minutes for this pair also makes it easier to spend less on the third pair.

Shattenkirk is a righty. This doesn't mean he can't play with Risto, but it's worth noting. Buffalo could look to have two legit pairings. They could then likely play McCabe with Shattenkirk and find a cheaper partner for Risto.

The increased minutes for this pair also makes it easier to spend less on the third pair.

If we were to add Shattenkirk without a subsequent LHD addition, I think two balanced pairs is the only logical approach.

I think it's worth noting that Shatty is entering the last year of his contract -- so if the Sabres were considering giving up real assets for him, an extension would have to be part of the deal.  This would probably be pretty expensive.  He turns 28 in January, so he's not too old for, say, a 5-year extension -- but it's a real question as to whether he's the kind of player that GMTM would want to give, say, $6MM x 5 years.

If we were to add Shattenkirk without a subsequent LHD addition, I think two balanced pairs is the only logical approach.

If gives added flexibility too. I remember during Anaheim's cup run when they had Pronger and Niedermayer anchoring their defense. I think they were both lefties but they played together some shifts to suffocate the other team and protect a lead or they'd play on separate pairs for 25 minutes each leaving the 3rd pair with 10 minutes of light duty.

I think it's worth noting that Shatty is entering the last year of his contract -- so if the Sabres were considering giving up real assets for him, an extension would have to be part of the deal.  This would probably be pretty expensive.  He turns 28 in January, so he's not too old for, say, a 5-year extension -- but it's a real question as to whether he's the kind of player that GMTM would want to give, say, $6MM x 5 years.

If not us someone is paying that if not more.

I think it's worth noting that Shatty is entering the last year of his contract -- so if the Sabres were considering giving up real assets for him, an extension would have to be part of the deal. This would probably be pretty expensive. He turns 28 in January, so he's not too old for, say, a 5-year extension -- but it's a real question as to whether he's the kind of player that GMTM would want to give, say, $6MM x 5 years.

Well, if Murray traded for him I think it's safe to assume he'd be comfortable giving a large extension. We're not at a spot as a team yet where we should to renting a player for a year.

Well, Murray traded for him I think it's safe to assume he'd be comfortable giving a large extension. We're not at a spot as a team yet where we should to renting a player for a year.

Very good point that gets lost in this debate.  If we move prospects and picks or players the return has to have shelf life.  That is why I don't think TM moves Bogo.

Well, if Murray traded for him I think it's safe to assume he'd be comfortable giving a large extension. We're not at a spot as a team yet where we should to renting a player for a year.

Yes indeed.  My point was simply that GMTM will be factoring in the extension (and cost thereof) into his evaluation of whether to trade for Shatty -- and that Shatty may not be the kind of player that GMTM likes enough to give a big, long-term contract to.

The problem is the gaping hole on the left side. None of our righties has shown the ability to perform just as well on the left side. Running Risto-Shatt-Bogo down the right side is better than what we had this season, but any good from that I'd offset by the wretched left side.

I agree, and while I like Bogo more than you, if we get Shattenkirk (which I'm completely on board for), Bogo should be used in a trade for a LHD.

Yup, getting Shattenkirk I think allows us to get a slightly cheaper guy for the left side, but we'd still need to get someone, nonetheless. Shattenkirk is good enough that a pairing with him and McCabe should be more than satisfactory. Could even be the first pair. But Gorges with Risto whether on the top pair or pair 2 isn't good enough. Murray's #1 priority just has to be a partner for Risto.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.