Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Not sure of the reason for that. Tyson Barrie is a better player than Rasmus is right now

IMO Rasums is a overrated a bit.   As an RFA who Murray didn't draft, I wonder if he's on the table.

I don't think using a 3 year sample for Risto is appropriate given his age, experience, and usage changes over that time. Hell, three years ago he only played in 32 games. Those tables also aren't taking into account usage differences. Risto and Gorges got by far the hardest minutes in Buffalo, while in Colorado it was Johnson and Beauchemin handling those minutes while what Barrie got was more comparable to Bogo and McCabe here. 

Context context context. KAAAAAAHHHHHNNNNNNtext.

Tyson Barrie is, however, awesome.

I don't think using a 3 year sample for Risto is appropriate given his age, experience, and usage changes over that time. Hell, three years ago he only played in 32 games. Those tables also aren't taking into account usage differences. Risto and Gorges got by far the hardest minutes in Buffalo, while in Colorado it was Johnson and Beauchemin handling those minutes while what Barrie got was more comparable to Bogo and McCabe here. 

Context context context. KAAAAAAHHHHHNNNNNNtext.

Tyson Barrie is, however, awesome.

Well the charts look pretty good for Ghost and Ekblad

Well the charts look pretty good for Ghost and Ekblad

Ted Nolan + the tank.

I always warn against just throwing away data, but the tank, Ron Rolston, and Ted Nolan are pretty compelling reasons to put a torch to any and all Sabres statistics from the last two seasons.

Edit: Congrats, now I'm all ticked off thinking about early career coaching may have hampered Risto's development. You all suck.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Ted Nolan + the tank.

I always warn against just throwing away data, but the tank, Ron Rolston, and Ted Nolan are pretty compelling reasons to put a torch to any and all Sabres statistics from the last two seasons.

Edit: Congrats, now I'm all ticked off thinking about early career coaching may have hampered Risto's development. You all suck.

There's hope to be found..... I lost it. WHERE IS THE HOPE??

Let me put it this way.   What makes Risto such a great young player?   Skating?  Awareness?  Shooting?   Passing?  What is he much better at when compared to other young defensemen?

Let me put it this way. What makes Risto such a great young player? Skating? Awareness? Shooting? Passing? What is he much better at when compared to other young defensemen?

Did you watch the first 41 games last year before 25 minutes a night against the other team's best lines in non-ideal situations wore down a 21 year old? He moved the puck up the ice effectively, scored lots of points, took on Lucic and Ovechkin physically. He was fantastic.

Let me put it this way.   What makes Risto such a great young player?   Skating?  Awareness?  Shooting?   Passing?  What is he much better at when compared to other young defensemen?

He does all of these things at a high level. Not many young defensemen have that kind of a total package. Let me put it this way back at you: what are his major weaknesses?

I'd also add he's very good under pressure--doesn't flub the puck at the blue line, doesn't panic and turn it over in the Dzone. His play against Crosby in OT comes to mind as an illustration. Risto retrieves the puck in the Dzone, Crosby aggressively coming in on the forecheck...Risto skates around him while maintaining control, Crosby tries several times to stick check him from behind, Risto manages to maintain control and skate away from Crosby for a clean zone exit and rush that lead to a scoring chance the other way. A 21 year old in his first season as a #1 Dman flawlessly handles a pressure situation from the best player of his generation. I'll never forget that play, it was that good.

He's got the size, the hockey iq, the physicality, the temperment, the shot, and he's a decent to pretty good skater.

I think he could be more agressive at times (in all zones) and dictate play with the puck. He's got silky mitts and he so rarely takes it in himself.

His methodical nature is a blessing and a curse. If he can learn to be aggressive at the right times, watch out. Like Randall said, that has a lot to do with who his partner is.

Edited by qwksndmonster

What is with you and your anti-Risto crusade. You're like PA with the Pegulas.

He has all of them which is rather rare, and has stepped up into a #1 role when most young D are sheltered. As qwk and trueblue said, he has ice in his veins and with a bit more aggression he'd be a top 10 Dman in the league in a couple years. He's already Top 10 in A/TOI and played the full 82 game schedule while doing so. 

Stats are worthless from the past two years, he was given Duncan Keith's role with a team of AHLers. He was supposed to literally be and do everything.

Yup.  He's not that good.

I will disagree with you on that. I think if they win the cup they keep him. He has been with them a long and I think it will resonate with the organization and fan base. He's someone you keep. If you win. If not you easily justify letting him go with cap reasoning and the fact you didn't win etc. He's their guy period. Also even with a raise he isn't that expensive to override the possibility of making him a lifer I think.

So what is Drouin's value these days?  

What the fook?  David Backes is a hell of a hockey player. He should be a Blue for life and they should retire his number if that happens. Guys been a 20goal scorer every year since 2010 (lockout doesn't count) and he is their captain since 2011. Guys a tough to play against leader with pretty decent possession metrics considering who he plays against. Should they pay him a ton of money, no. But dear god I would take him on the Sabres tomorrow for the right price.

So what is Drouin's value these days?

What the fook? David Backes is a hell of a hockey player. He should be a Blue for life and they should retire his number if that happens. Guys been a 20goal scorer every year since 2010 (lockout doesn't count) and he is their captain since 2011. Guys a tough to play against leader with pretty decent possession metrics considering who he plays against. Should they pay him a ton of money, no. But dear god I would take him on the Sabres tomorrow for the right price.

I just see so many David Backes passes turning into turnovers. The Blues have a great forward depth and Backes is about to turn 33 later this month. With the way he plays I have to assume his body will give out any year now. He's the kind of expiring contract good teams let go. Edited by qwksndmonster

I just see so many David Backes passes turning into turnovers. The Blues have a great forward depth and Backes is about to turn 33 later this month. With the way he plays I have to assume his body will give out any year now. He's the kind of expiring contract good teams let go.

Wait. I'm having difficulty accepting your position as a sports fan on this Backes issue. I understand where you're coming form but in addition to the things I've pointed out, I will add what Aud posted above which I think is really bizarre but adds even more weight to my point. Blues win the cup ain't no way in hell you're letting Backes do anything but retire a Blue. You find a way. If they don't win though it does give a GM wiggle room to justify not offering a contract. But my God man, not many go from draft to retirement with one team anymore. In his case I hope it happens. It's a worthy story.

Cut throat reality only if they don't win the cup and they are in fact my favorite to do exactly that!

So in fitting tribute to the Blues Note with a twist after winning the cup, sign on youuu crazy diamond...... da na nuh nuh nuh nuh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.