Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Well that's the thing. If you get Stamkos and want him at center, why not take Laine?

Because having center depth is really really important. It also depends on how the Leafs rate Matthews vs. Laine. If they straight up think Laine is better, then that's the move. If they think Laine = Matthews then I'd have to think that Matthews would be the pick.

They won't be able to get Stamkos until post draft. They could not get him.

Posted that above. I think we're just talking hypotheticals if the Leafs knew they had Stamkos

Also, breaking Matthews in at wing =/= wanting Stamkos at center.

So then you put Kadri on the wing or as the 3rd line center; a Reinhart dilemma

Because having center depth is really really important. It also depends on how the Leafs rate Matthews vs. Laine. If they straight up think Laine is better, then that's the move. If they think Laine = Matthews then I'd have to think that Matthews would be the pick.

Well you and I know that, but plenty of teams having taken winger > center when a winger is even marginally better Edited by WildCard

So, apparently the Leafs may go Laine + Stamkos over Matthews. McKenzie saying the Leafs will take a run at Stamkos no matter what, and then others speculate if that means going for Laine > Matthews

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-leafs-take-hard-run-steven-stamkos-ufa/

This reeks of how every single year GMs say "oh yea, sure, I'm open to trading away #1 overall" only to have it never actually happen. 

???

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle  38m38 minutes ago
Leafs have signed Nikita Zaitsev.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle  32m32 minutes ago
Zaitsev was the top defenceman on the best team in the KHL this season. He'll be playing for Russia at the worlds. He'll help the Leafs.

No, I don't know why I posted this in the trade speculation thread :lol:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle  38m38 minutes ago
Leafs have signed Nikita Zaitsev.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle  32m32 minutes ago
Zaitsev was the top defenceman on the best team in the KHL this season. He'll be playing for Russia at the worlds. He'll help the Leafs.

No, I don't know why I posted this in the trade speculation thread :lol:

Ahhhhh I see.  I have no idea how good this guy is but the leafs.  I'm usually a rational person but since Saturday night it feels like the sky is falling.....

Ahhhhh I see.  I have no idea how good this guy is but ###### the leafs.  I'm usually a rational person but since Saturday night it feels like the sky is falling.....

Just remember we can't worry about what the leafs are doing. We need to focus on the Sabres improving and right now Murray can't do much but re-sign RFA's and figure out what he wants to do at the draft. Zaitsev is a good signing but again, it is outside the Sabres control. Let the leafs do their thing and as long as we do our thing, we will have a better team. 

Ahhhhh I see.  I have no idea how good this guy is but ###### the leafs.  I'm usually a rational person but since Saturday night it feels like the sky is falling.....

Meh. If not the Leafs, some other team would be really good and possibly better than us. Granted, I would much prefer to see the Leafs wallow in endless misery than be competitive, but it's not like the entire Eastern Conference was going to roll over for us on our way to glory.

Just remember we can't worry about what the leafs are doing. We need to focus on the Sabres improving and right now Murray can't do much but re-sign RFA's and figure out what he wants to do at the draft. Zaitsev is a good signing but again, it is outside the Sabres control. Let the leafs do their thing and as long as we do our thing, we will have a better team. 

This is true.  Just sucks it's a division rival making these moves.

Meh. If not the Leafs, some other team would be really good and possibly better than us. Granted, I would much prefer to see the Leafs wallow in endless misery than be competitive, but it's not like the entire Eastern Conference was going to roll over for us on our way to glory.

I know, I'm not expecting us to cruise through the division or anything.  I guess it just really sucks it's the leafs making all these moves and getting some good luck/direction.  If this was Ottawa I don't think I would care nearly as much.

Seems strange that it took so long to get picked up after it was reported by the Boston Herald on the 30th of March. I'm refusing to believe that we won't sign him. 

Edited by IrwinNelson

He can't sign anywhere for 3.5 months. A lot of things can change between now and then. Also, a source in the college hockey community? Seems meh to me. The kid has lots of time to decide and he no longer is in the college hockey community. Let's see how it plays out.

So, apparently the Leafs may go Laine + Stamkos over Matthews. McKenzie saying the Leafs will take a run at Stamkos no matter what, and then others speculate if that means going for Laine > Matthews

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-leafs-take-hard-run-steven-stamkos-ufa/

His decision probably has a large impact on Vessey's

Vessey is a much better prospect then Caggiula. Most experts have Drake as a high energy, bottom 6 guy with scoring ability. Vessey will be a top line guy. Caggiula probably would prefer not to sign with a team that may sign Vessey but Vessey likely doesn't care.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.