Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

So in no particular order:

Weber, Josi, OEL, Karlsson, Suban, Doughty, Keith... who else is on the list of top defenders? 

Burns, Pietrangelo, Letang, Suter, Klingberg, Weber, Hedman. 

I think a very under rated Dman is Alex Pietrangelo of the Blues. Does everything well and I think he was in the top 5 for Dman scoring. I take him over Karlsson because he plays some D also.

You're about to get beaten with the full weight of a GED diploma 

:lol:

Karlsson may not be as good as Doughty defensively, but it's not like he's Cody Hodgson trying to play defense either. Sure, he gets out-muscled and isn't great directly around the crease, but his gap control and positioning are quite good, and of course he's the best in the league at actually exiting the defensive zone. As some analytics writer I can't remember said: "the worst thing to happen to defensemen was to be named defensemen."

But since that runs danger of backlash due to the source, I'll just fall back on one of my favorite quotes...no, not from some analytics blogger, but from Dave Tippett, a coach not exactly known for ignoring team defense: 

We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman.
Edited by TrueBlueGED

Saw true add Hedman and Suter, they definitely have to be in the discussion. My top defensemen are

Doughty

Karlsson

Subban

Keith

Josi

OEL

Weber

Hedman

Suter

The list fluctuates a lot, but EK and Doughty are always 2 of the top 3. Burns may jump in soon and I expect Ekblad eventually as well. Pietrangelo lies just outside with a bunch of other really really good defensemen.

Vlasic might be underrated as well, he's not the best offensively but his defensive zone work, to my eye, is impeccable.

Watching NHL tonight and the Pens reporter they were interviewing was giving his thoughts on Malkin. He said Malkin could end up on the block because of the 26 game sample where the kids line and Kessel stepped up not to mention Crosby just exploded so they may think they can do without him. He speculates the team could even lose the trade in order to move salary. Murray has already said that is one way he could possibly improve the roster, by trading for salary.

Question is..could Pysyk, a 2016 2nd and 2017 1st get it done and would it be worth it? IMO it's yes to both. Remember the Sabres are taking on $9.5 mil for 6 years so it gives the Pens flexibility which they need.

Watching NHL tonight and the Pens reporter they were interviewing was giving his thoughts on Malkin. He said Malkin could end up on the block because of the 26 game sample where the kids line and Kessel stepped up not to mention Crosby just exploded so they may think they can do without him. He speculates the team could even lose the trade in order to move salary. Murray has already said that is one way he could possibly improve the roster, by trading for salary.

Question is..could Pysyk, a 2016 2nd and 2017 1st get it done and would it be worth it? IMO it's yes to both. Remember the Sabres are taking on $9.5 mil for 6 years so it gives the Pens flexibility which they need.

Malkin doesn't play the wing well so he's gotta play center

Is this the modern-day Roy for Malkin proposal? Did we add a second in that one?

Malkin doesn't play the wing well so he's gotta play center

O'Reilly on his left

Is this the modern-day Roy for Malkin proposal? Did we add a second in that one?

I realize it sounds ridiculous but they would be taking on salary and giving a 1st. Maybe add a prospect from b-lo but it's not completely unthinkable

O'Reilly on his left

I realize it sounds ridiculous but they would be taking on salary and giving a 1st. Maybe add a prospect from b-lo but it's not completely unthinkable

I really think it is completely unthinkable; if Pittsburgh is to trade one of Crosby or Malkin, I believe they'd be looking to get an equally-good defenseman. The popular thing for fans to talk about a few years ago was Shea Weber for Malkin. It would be a franchise-crushing move to trade one of Crosby/Malkin for pieces whose sum will never come close to either one of them, IMO.

Edited by Randall Flagg

No that doesn't even move the needle.

I really think it is completely unthinkable; if Pittsburgh is to trade one of Crosby or Malkin, I believe they'd be looking to get an equally-good defenseman. The popular thing for fans to talk about a few years ago was Shea Weber for Malkin. It would be a franchise-crushing move to trade one of those two guys for pieces whose sum will never come close to Malkin or Crosby IMO.

It's similar to whats happening in TB with the AHL coach coming up and liking his guys. The 26 game sample is the reason this is a story at all.

No that doesn't even move the needle.

Fair enough. What's the trade off of salary to compensation? Is there a pick or prospect equivalent to dollars traded?

It's similar to whats happening in TB with the AHL coach coming up and liking his guys. The 26 game sample is the reason this is a story at all.

Fair enough. What's the trade off of salary to compensation? Is there a pick or prospect equivalent to dollars traded?

it's malkin,there isn't much tradeoff. You're looking at Risto, this year's first and stuff to get him

It isn't about dollars it's about talent. Since he still produces it's not a cap dump. He has value.

For comparison look at the ROR trade. Malkin will get more. So start there and add better things

I think a very under rated Dman is Alex Pietrangelo of the Blues. Does everything well and I think he was in the top 5 for Dman scoring. I take him over Karlsson because he plays some D also.

Played almost 40 minutes yesterday and had 3 assists, can you spell UNDERRATED.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.