Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

It's really interesting that you leave McGinn off that list, considering his friendship with ROR and Jack is well documented

I think McGinn is pretty well loved by most of his teammates. Legwand too. Brian Gionta is the frigging captain for a reason.

With the troubling exception of Matt Moulson, so far Tim Murray has rebuilt by acquiring three types of players: prospects he likes, potential core players who need a change of scenery, and vets who can be flipped for more assets.

Which profile do you think McGinn fits?

I think McGinn is pretty well loved by most of his teammates. Legwand too. Brian Gionta is the frigging captain for a reason.

With the troubling exception of Matt Moulson, so far Tim Murray has rebuilt by acquiring three types of players: prospects he likes, potential core players who need a change of scenery, and vets who can be flipped for more assets.

Which profile do you think McGinn fits?

Yeah, and Larry Bird's best friend on the Celtics was traded away and he never blinked & never spoke to him again.

My preference is McGinn gets traded & brought back @ 3/3.4MM. My guess is someone will top that. IF DB somehow gets punted, I'd bring him back at slightly more because he could actually play 3rd line. He can't under this coach & I want someone better on the top 2 lines, so, unfortunately, away he goes.

The desire not to have Ennis on the team is a curious one, if only because it's most likely bad asset management to contemplate moving him during this window of time when his value is so low.

Regardless of how you feel about him, I think the hope has to be that he plays next year and has a bounce-back season.

McGinn: I would like to keep McGinn. I don't see a pressing need to acquire more picks and although you never like to risk someone walking for nothing, it's not like we're in the same "sell everything" position we've been in the past few seasons.  Our rebuild is mostly "over with" and we're pretty much guaranteed a top 10 (hopefully top 5) pick at this point. I would rather they make a serious attempt at negotiating an extension.

Ennis: I have been a huge Ennis fan since day one. I've never wanted to trade him, and always felt he could be a key piece of the rebuild, but I'm more on the fence after this season. I would still like to see what he can do on a full-season basis with our improved Top 6, but if he becomes a casualty of bringing in a top pair D-man or signing Stamkos, then so be it. I think it's an off-season move though if he is moved.

Legwand: He's exceeded my every expectation and been a great roleplayer for the team. I'm impressed. That being said, he has no long-term future here. We aren't a contender and given his performance this season, there are probably a few teams interested in him. So even though I said above that there's no need to go into sell mode, I would take what I can get for him.

Foligno: Much of what I wrote about Ennis also applies here. I would love to have him stay here and succeed, but at the same time, I think we've seen all we're going to see from him in terms of serious development. I never wanted to trade him, but we've reached a point where it's feasible. He isn't going to be as big of a piece of the team as I once thought he could be. 

Larsson: Kind of indifferent here. I'm personally leaning towards trading him because I think he's valuable and young enough piece that he could packaged for a more impactful, in-his-prime type of piece.

Gionta, Moulson, Weber: yeah, if only. i will say i like Weber though.

Johnson:  sure, trade him. he's been a good soldier though.

My preference is McGinn gets traded & brought back @ 3/3.4MM. My guess is someone will top that. IF DB somehow gets punted, I'd bring him back at slightly more because he could actually play 3rd line. He can't under this coach & I want someone better on the top 2 lines, so, unfortunately, away he goes.

This is a smart observation on DB. I'm guessing GMTM also sees him as a valuable guy who the coach wants to overplay. I think the main thing is McGinn's camp is expecting 4+ million and term. Probably a little more than GMTM is willing to do and to market he goes. You can't say a bad thing about McGinn. He's been a great teammate since he's been here and I will miss him. Not end of the world miss him but he will be missed.

McGinn: I would like to keep McGinn. I don't see a pressing need to acquire more picks and although you never like to risk someone walking for nothing, it's not like we're in the same "sell everything" position we've been in the past few seasons.  Our rebuild is mostly "over with" and we're pretty much guaranteed a top 10 (hopefully top 5) pick at this point. I would rather they make a serious attempt at negotiating an extension.

Ennis: I have been a huge Ennis fan since day one. I've never wanted to trade him, and always felt he could be a key piece of the rebuild, but I'm more on the fence after this season. I would still like to see what he can do on a full-season basis with our improved Top 6, but if he becomes a casualty of bringing in a top pair D-man or signing Stamkos, then so be it. I think it's an off-season move though if he is moved.

Legwand: He's exceeded my every expectation and been a great roleplayer for the team. I'm impressed. That being said, he has no long-term future here. We aren't a contender and given his performance this season, there are probably a few teams interested in him. So even though I said above that there's no need to go into sell mode, I would take what I can get for him.

Foligno: Much of what I wrote about Ennis also applies here. I would love to have him stay here and succeed, but at the same time, I think we've seen all we're going to see from him in terms of serious development. I never wanted to trade him, but we've reached a point where it's feasible. He isn't going to be as big of a piece of the team as I once thought he could be. 

Larsson: Kind of indifferent here. I'm personally leaning towards trading him because I think he's valuable and young enough piece that he could packaged for a more impactful, in-his-prime type of piece.

Gionta, Moulson, Weber: yeah, if only. i will say i like Weber though.

Johnson:  sure, trade him. he's been a good soldier though.

Disagree with you completely on McGinn.  Yes, he has been useful and a great fit for the top six, but really he's a third line talent.  The farm system is a little dry to barren.  They have some interesting players such as Bailey, Guhle, Ullmark, Borgen, Baptiste etc, but the main blue chippers are full season Sabres.  If you can get a second pick for a player who has been more than a throw in with the O'Reilly deal you make that.  Otherwise it's bad business.   Ennis when he was healthy didn't mesh that well in limited sample sizes on either line.  If you can get tangible value, I'd welcome a change.  Moulson is a: Needs to go talent.  The rest I agree with you on.  

The key to me on who goes, who stays, who we try to pick up is what type of team/personality are we trying to become. A team such as LA Kings, NY Islanders, Flyers, Ottawa, Bruins, Ducks big and physical plenty of hits per game or are we going to emulate the Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, RedWings, TB Lightning, Montreal, San Jose Sharks type where speed and skill is more important and all are down on the hit parade.

I thought the Penguins game was a great watch because we played against a good team in the bottom of the playoff standings to see how much we need to improve to get there and it showcased our weaknesses, things to improve on besides just the obvious player upgrades. Team speed, someone besides ROR to win faceoffs and an improvement on getting the puck quickly out of our zone. When we did this in the 1st period of forwards were able to play with speed and be physical but in especially the 2nd period we couldn't play it out of our zone which just bogged everything down.

So the question becomes who does GMTM want us to become and from there we can speculate what type of player/s he brings in. 

I've always enjoyed watching Ennis, and think this year is an injury anomaly. Highly skilled with good IQ, and for a little guy shows grit from time to time..... On a team starving for offense last year, he led the team in goals putting up 13% of the total.....also led the team in assists...... I hope he remains part of the rebuild.

I'm pretty sure he leans thattaway.

I would have thought so too but Ennis almost has as many hits this year as ROR and Reinhart have combined and he has almost as many as Eichel. Gorges believe it or not has the most for the Dmen. If not for Kane and Deslauriers we'd also be on the bottom of the league.

So does he value a playing style of ROR or more of say Foligno and McGinn??? And I'm not talking ability as style.

So does that style say who he values more and who he may or may not covet moving forward.

Regarding Ennis, I think that it's just the bite of unrequited hope.

Ennis (and Foligno, Myers, and many more) are useful NHL players that didn't become what our first impressions led us to hope they would become.

I suspect McCabe and Reinhart and Bailey and even Jack will also go through this unless they somehow help bring us a cup.

It's already started for Pysyk.

Edited by dudacek

Disagree with you completely on McGinn.  Yes, he has been useful and a great fit for the top six, but really he's a third line talent.  The farm system is a little dry to barren.  They have some interesting players such as Bailey, Guhle, Ullmark, Borgen, Baptiste etc, but the main blue chippers are full season Sabres.  If you can get a second pick for a player who has been more than a throw in with the O'Reilly deal you make that.  Otherwise it's bad business.   Ennis when he was healthy didn't mesh that well in limited sample sizes on either line.  If you can get tangible value, I'd welcome a change.  Moulson is a: Needs to go talent.  The rest I agree with you on.  

McGinn has 27 points.  Chicago's 2nd line players range from 33-28 points right now.  Dallas's is a bit above that.  McGinn is putting up legit 2nd line points compared to two of the best teams in the league.  And he's doing it on one of the worst teams in the league.  He is definitely 2nd line talent.

I would have thought so too but Ennis almost has as many hits this year as ROR and Reinhart have combined and he has almost as many as Eichel. Gorges believe it or not has the most for the Dmen. If not for Kane and Deslauriers we'd also be on the bottom of the league.

So does he value a playing style of ROR or more of say Foligno and McGinn??? And I'm not talking ability as style.

So does that style say who he values more and who he may or may not covet moving forward.

Hmm. This is making my brain work. Good stuff.

Regarding Ennis, I think that it's just the bite of unrequited hope.

Ennis (and Foligno, Myers, and many more) are useful NHL players that didn't become what our first impressions led us to hope they would become.

I think Ennis put together a large enough body of work at the NHL level that he moved beyond making favourable first impressions.

McGinn has 27 points.  Chicago's 2nd line players range from 33-28 points right now.  Dallas's is a bit above that.  McGinn is putting up legit 2nd line points compared to two of the best teams in the league.  And he's doing it on one of the worst teams in the league.  He is definitely 2nd line talent.

More good stuff. Not sure I agree, but those numbers are worth pondering.

Rumors!

Edited by WildCard

Counterpoint: Those teams' second lines are better defensively with a better possession game, and particularly in Chicago's case, play significantly tougher minutes (I'm assuming you're using the Toews line as Chicago's 2nd?). 

The O'Reilly bubble on the Chicago chart should simultaneously produce a warm & fuzzy sensation, and great sadness (the injury).

post-3647-0-21851400-1456247179_thumb.png

post-3647-0-86320300-1456247190_thumb.png

I would certainly expect Chicago to have better possession numbers on their 2nd line.  For starters, they have 2 legit 2nd line wingers instead of just one.  And a center that isn't a rookie.  I'll need more convincing that McGinn isn't a legit 2nd line winger.

Rumors!

Trading Drouin by the deadline makes sense for TB, especially if they are, as Yzerman has said publicly, going to keep Stamkos through the end of the season.  That means that they are going all in for the Cup this year, so it makes sense to get whatever they can get for Drouin now in order to have those pieces available for the playoffs.

Florida (or anyone else) would be ill-advised to give up too much for Ladd, IMHO.  He'll likely be a decent forward to add into the mix for a playoff run, but not a real difference-maker -- more a Gaustad than a Hossa.

I would certainly expect Chicago to have better possession numbers on their 2nd line.  For starters, they have 2 legit 2nd line wingers instead of just one.  And a center that isn't a rookie.  I'll need more convincing that McGinn isn't a legit 2nd line winger.

Well those are relative to teammate numbers, not a direct comparison between Chicago and Buffalo. And let's not make it sound like McGinn has been strapped to Eichel all year--he's been with O'Reilly a ton. I'll be back later with McGinn's stats with/without O'Reilly...at the moment I have physical therapy to get to. My mission to convince will not go quietly into the night! :)

And this is totally unrelated, but Patrice Bergeron is not human. He gets tougher assignments relative to his team than any of the other top Selke candidates, but exceeds teammate performance by a greater margin. Insanity.

post-3647-0-48129100-1456248054_thumb.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.