Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I've almost entirely written off Ennis. A mixture of my expectation that he will be traded and the fact that I don't think he's going to be right enough to play at a high level.

Same. I wonder what he fetches right now though, and if it might not be better to just keep him for next year then trade him next deadline

Three straight quality seasons followed by one injury-riddled year and he's dead? Tough crowd. Anyway, I think he's currently untradeable. Maybe in the offseason, but then there's a question of how much this season has damaged his value. I'd rather bet on a rebound year than sell low.

I've almost entirely written off Ennis. A mixture of my expectation that he will be traded and the fact that I don't think he's going to be right enough to play at a high level.

Oh, man.  I don't want to think about this.  When we had too many little people on this team, he was the one I wanted to keep around.  I don't want to consider that he might not get back to what he was.  But I have to admit, it's a possibility.

Oh, man.  I don't want to think about this.  When we had too many little people on this team, he was the one I wanted to keep around.  I don't want to consider that he might not get back to what he was.  But I have to admit, it's a possibility.

Who's buying Ennis?  He's injured!  Just relax.

Three straight quality seasons followed by one injury-riddled year and he's dead? Tough crowd. Anyway, I think he's currently untradeable. Maybe in the offseason, but then there's a question of how much this season has damaged his value. I'd rather bet on a rebound year than sell low.

Probably the best approach. But, still, I have to wonder, do you believe Ennis can fit in our future top 6?

Here's an article about our trade deadline and cap management

http://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-trade-deadline-about-asset-management-cap/

The Jets had a AGM and a scout here.

The Hawks had their Director of Pro Scouting and three scouts here

The Flames had a AGM and scout in attendance

Someone suggested this in a trade on Twitter. McGinn to Chicago for a First, Brian Bickell, has one year at 4 million left on his contract, and maybe a prospect. Would the Hawks do this?

Someone suggested this in a trade on Twitter. McGinn to Chicago for a First, Brian Bickell, has one year at 4 million left on his contract, and maybe a prospect. Would the Hawks do this?

I would, unsure of Hawks though. Ladd is likely their top target but I wouldn't be surprised if McGinn were 2nd or 3rd on their list.

Flames need goalies. Jets are trying to dump Ladd (makes more sense for Pitt IMO), and the Hawks need some wingers. I'd say the Hawks and Flames are for us, the Jets for the Penguins

Kane is on my 3rd line and Fasching would have to earn it. Going into the season I'm looking at Ennis, Reinhart, Girgensons, and UFA. 

Interesting. And I agree on Kane, allowing for the idea he's not getting true 3rd line minutes. More of an even distribution, as you said.

I'm not sure a Stanley Cup team needs its four top-six wingers to be "core."

Kane and Hossa are certainly core. Sharp,probably was too. Saad/Ladd/Panarin, weren't they just good?

Gaborik, Williams, Brown and Toffoli?

Horton, Lucic, Marchand and Recchi?

Kunitz, Fedotenko, Dupuis and Sykora?

I seriously can't believe that last group.

I think the Sabres can contend with ROR and Kane as two of their top four wingers.

It's possible but unlikely that two of Girgensons, Ennis and Fasching could be the other two.

I'd say we have to add at least one winger who is better any of those three, but that player is not Jamie McGinn

When you say third line you really mean away from playmakers, right?

You don't mean 14 minutes a night.

I laugh when I see Ducky calling Kane a third-liner. He gets more minutes than practically any wing in the league.

Good stuff, I'm understanding your position a little better now. Still not opposed to McGinn at the right price. But as you said earlier, our views aren't that far apart on the matter.

Lots of players suffer concussions and are able to come back and play at their previous level. Of course, that doesn't always happen, so it's no lock that Ennis does. But I have no reason to give up hope in his ability to do so. I do though agree that a trade may still be likely at some point.

Edited by Thorny

From Kevin Paul DuPont, Senior Writer from Boston Globe.

NHL trade deadline a week from today. I'd like #Bruins to land Bogosian from Buffalo. #Bogo-to-go

What type of package could the B's put together for Bogo?

And yes I realize this is KPD's personal desire and he is not using an inside source.

NHL trade deadline a week from today. I'd like #Bruins to land Bogosian from Buffalo. #Bogo-to-go

And yes I realize this is KPD's personal desire and he is not using an inside source.

I don't want prospects or picks for Bogosian.

Did this ahole watch just watch one game and make this stuff up?

Getting out from under Bogosian's contract would be such a coup. I'd just love Murray to pieces if he pulled it off.

the chowdaheads

Getting out from under Bogosian's contract would be such a coup. I'd just love Murray to pieces if he pulled it off.

This is where I am.

Yes that's the ticket, we have a 21 year old who has blown 3 games recently with mindless passing, 2 Dmen playing in their 1st year and the rest of the guys couldn't beat an opposing forward to a loose puck even if they were wearing snow shoes instead of skates...... and we want to rid ourselves of this guy :wallbash:

As if anyone we could get of equal value in free agency wouldn't cost as much or more and we have no-one on the near horizon in the AHL ready to play up and we want to rid ourselves of Bogosian???

Yes that's the ticket, we have a 21 year old who has blown 3 games recently with mindless passing, 2 Dmen playing in their 1st year and the rest of the guys couldn't beat an opposing forward to a loose puck even if they were wearing snow shoes instead of skates...... and we want to rid ourselves of this guy :wallbash:

As if anyone we could get of equal value in free agency wouldn't cost as much or more and we have no-one on the near horizon in the AHL ready to play up and we want to rid ourselves of Bogosian???

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Colin Miller, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson and a draft pick?  Those would be the youngish type prospects/players I like.  Zboril/Carlo are slightly interesting.  Just tossing names around.   

Our blue line is a mess and Bogosian's play this season has been part of the problem. I think unloading his contract and getting some value for it can be part of the solution going forward. I don't think it's smart to pay $5.1 million to a defenseman you're unsure will play as a #4 or a #6, all while missing a quarter of every season.

Our blue line is a mess and Bogosian's play this season has been part of the problem. I think unloading his contract and getting some value for it can be part of the solution going forward. I don't think it's smart to pay $5.1 million to a defenseman you're unsure will play as a #4 or a #6, all while missing a quarter of every season.

The blueline is a mess because they still don't have anyone Bylsma is comfortable playing w/ Ristolainen other than Gorges, Risto has slumped most of January & February, & there is a rookie in the top 4. Add onto that a lack of speed (Weber & Franson) or a lack of coaching staff faith (Pysyk) on the bottom pair & the result isn't pretty.

If there is a great deal to be made for him, he isnt untouchable. But I'd rather see what he can do in year 2. If it makes sense that he's not worth $5+ at the next deadline, there are other teams that are desperately in need of muscle on the backline. The Sabres have needed a physical top 4 guy for the better part of the last decade. I'd hate to see them right back to looking for it w/in the week.

Trade Bogo, get Fowler. If you trade Bogo, you can scoop up one of their mid round 1sts at least. Couple that with our other 1st, and we can have a very fun draft

Makarov apparently is unhappy with his lack of playing time in Rochester: https://sabrenoise.com/2016/02/19/buffalo-sabres-rumor-andrey-makarov-to-khl/

Do you think the Sabres are steady enough at the position to trade him, even if it is just for another prospect or a low pick?

He's been a pile of steaming crap all season. Not sure what you'd get back other than another pile of steaming crap.

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

The blueline is a mess because they still don't have anyone Bylsma is comfortable playing w/ Ristolainen other than Gorges, Risto has slumped most of January & February, & there is a rookie in the top 4. Add onto that a lack of speed (Weber & Franson) or a lack of coaching staff faith (Pysyk) on the bottom pair & the result isn't pretty.

If there is a great deal to be made for him, he isnt untouchable. But I'd rather see what he can do in year 2. If it makes sense that he's not worth $5+ at the next deadline, there are other teams that are desperately in need of muscle on the backline. The Sabres have needed a physical top 4 guy for the better part of the last decade. I'd hate to see them right back to looking for it w/in the week.

All of these.

Trade Bogo, get Fowler. If you trade Bogo, you can scoop up one of their mid round 1sts at least. Couple that with our other 1st, and we can have a very fun draft

Why not have both Bogo and Fowler, and trade Franson at the deadline (which is more realistic than trading Bogo anyway)?  I'd look at that as upgrading from Franson to Fowler and generally improving the top 4.

All of this is true, but none of it absolves Bogosian of his own poor play. The guy is a 7 year pro making $5 million, and he has as many blown coverages and poor decisions as the rookies. For his pedigree and contract he's supposed to be a rock back there, and he just isn't. Most of the year he's provided 3rd pairing caliber play, which is well below what we need him to be. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.